Coogs multifaceted fleet

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Slightly more enjoyable jobs on the agenda.

The M5 is up at Banbridge Motor Works getting a complete overhaul including the rod bearings. I want the car to be mechanically 100% before going ahead with the bodywork. Major operation but needs must. Quite a significant list of items needing resolved but I've utmost confidence in Colm. For that car, he'll be the go to from now on.

With another MOT under its belt I decided to get the wingbacks sorted on the GTI too. Had a wee @Boydie session and vacuumed the car with the seats out. I also removed the mats and done under them and everything!

IMG_7474.jpeg

And tidied up with the seats in. Absolutely love this wee car. Everything about it feels so right!

IMG_7485.jpeg

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Ive always been scared of taking the seats out of a car because of my old Alfa days when even looking at the airbag connector would cause warning faults that resulted in needing a new airbag controller.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Was quite surprised to find no loom going to the seats in this. No airbags, sensors or anything in the wingbacks!

My main concern (being a purveyor of fine vintage automobiles) was captive nuts snapping / breaking free due to corrosion. That's one I've had before and do not ever wish to repeat. I only remove seats when absolutely necessary now. Probably why it took me 2 years to get round to it.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Glad it's not just me! Building up to it for Emma, lol. First Volvos with the full SIPS thing. Bags everywhere, and all of it thirty years old now - what could possibly go wrong 😅 In theory there is a wee plastic "spade" thing that locks and disables the trigger and then the seat just lifts out. In theory 😇 🤫

Princess is so easy, four bolts job done. No bags anywhere 😁

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Ive always been scared of taking the seats out of a car because of my old Alfa days when even looking at the airbag connector would cause warning faults that resulted in needing a new airbag controller.
The 156 was wild for it too, I unplugged both of them and put a heatshrink boot over the back of the plugs onto the wires to act as strain relief. Worked dead on, no lights after that.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
M5 got it's MOT today. Thankfully no issues to report.

IMG_7974.jpeg

So finally got it tucked away for what's left of winter:

IMG_7977.jpeg

Next was to finally get the TT back out after all the work and get it to it's MOT early next week. It never ends!

I'll use this daily for the next couple of months in the bad weather.

IMG_7978.jpeg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
At least you passed, I had to push mine out the gate and down the hill in Ards after they failed it (Only headlamp alignment and a sticky front numberplate). :joy:

Looks very clean under the bonnet. 👌

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Not sure what you have on the mk5 but a milltek downpipe and section on marketplace locally

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Lol, what happened? Was looking fine the other day 😇

Loose cable. Killed the whole car. Pretty easy to sort once I figured out how to get into the boot with no electrics to get my socket set out.

Not sure what you have on the mk5 but a milltek downpipe and section on marketplace locally

Blimey - £450?!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Service time for the GTI and also time to get the balance shafts dealt with. Using a VIS Motorsport freewheel kit which comes with a new pick up pipe, sealant, filter and O-ring which is handy. Just needed to add oil.

IMG_8291 2.jpg

Sump off

IMG_8281 Large.jpeg

Old balance shaft pulley out

IMG_8286 Large.jpeg

Vs free wheel

IMG_8283 Large.jpeg

And in

IMG_8287 Large.jpeg

Pick up was clean as it was done fairly recently but thought I may as well replace it while I'm in there

IMG_8288 Large.jpeg

Sump pan cleaned. Nothing scary in there which was great!

IMG_8289 Large.jpeg

Also gave it some fresh brake fluid and gear oil

IMG_8290 Large.jpeg

Good for another while yet!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Well the R is sold. A great car but just wasn't getting the use out of it. 9/10 times I was using the van so it seemed like quite a lump of cash to be sitting doing very little.

The Hiace might make way for a fresher van once I decide what would be a worthy replacement but in the meantime I stuck it in for it's MOT, which it passed with no problems. If anyone's interested in a good reliable van with 13 months MOT give me a shout as I might just let it go.

IMG_7453.jpeg

IMG_8575.jpeg

This leaves me with the new (car) daily, which to be completely honest feels like 90% of the R but at 20% of the price.

IMG_8594.jpeg

I don't think there'll be an R replacement. Maybe a newer van. Not sure.

As I'm sure you can imagine Mrs Coog is overjoyed with the situation. Asking why I can't just drive 'normal' adult cars like all her mates husbands in Volvos and 520d's etc. I had a MK3 Golf on it's hole on banded G60's when we met. She should know better :joy:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
You'll miss the Hiace although I'm sure the prospect of further welding in the future would have been a bit of a worry. Advertise it on donedeal and you'll be inundated with 'generous' offers lol

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
You'll miss the Hiace although I'm sure the prospect of further welding in the future would have been a bit of a worry. Advertise it on donedeal and you'll be inundated with 'generous' offers lol

That’s what’s putting me off advertising it - I.e dealing with the sort of clientele looking to procure a 17 year old Hiace. Be an absolute weapons magnet.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I know you'd never want to do it but a donedeal advert for a hiace would be a honeypot for melters lol. Make a great thread though, think of the likes and lols...

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Well the R is sold. A great car but just wasn't getting the use out of it. 9/10 times I was using the van so it seemed like quite a lump of cash to be sitting doing very little.

The Hiace might make way for a fresher van once I decide what would be a worthy replacement but in the meantime I stuck it in for it's MOT, which it passed with no problems. If anyone's interested in a good reliable van with 13 months MOT give me a shout as I might just let it go.

View attachment 428560

View attachment 428558

This leaves me with the new (car) daily, which to be completely honest feels like 90% of the R but at 20% of the price.

View attachment 428559

I don't think there'll be an R replacement. Maybe a newer van. Not sure.

As I'm sure you can imagine Mrs Coog is overjoyed with the situation. Asking why I can't just drive 'normal' adult cars like all her mates husbands in Volvos and 520d's etc. I had a MK3 Golf on it's hole on banded G60's when we met. She should know better :joy:
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Well the van is away now too. Full lift inspection with pokey things and phone calls to an expert with a touch of lowballing. Never seen the like of it but it was a good van so stood up to scrutiny & went to the first viewer. Good to get a bit of space back - I'm now left with the M5, GTI, TT, A4 and track car.

The TT is on shaky ground. I think I need a few more sleeps on what to do with it. It might end up going to the parents on a permanent basis as they could do with a runaround the odd time.

In the meantime I switched the cam follower out on the GTI. It was dead on but I replaced it anyway for all it costs.

IMG_8668.jpeg