BBC news article: I was kidnapped by my runaway electric car

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Never had a car with that but is there not still a stop button.

I suppose if it was a software issue you might be able to switch off the engine anyway you might be able to stall it.

They all use a button - keyless EV or ICEV. Unless it's keyless from 20 years ago which used a traditional barrel but a keyless add-on. You'll not stall an auto - lots of new auto's don't even have a physical connection between the gearstick and gearbox so even jamming it into P or N if it's in the middle of having a hissy fit might not work.

I still reckon it was a mat round the pedal or something like that.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
"I first realised something was wrong because I suddenly got warning lights. Within 60 seconds I had nine warning lights. I went to pull over and put my foot on the brake and nothing happened.

"I tried the park button, engine off button, everything. Then it was panic stations because it wouldn't stop and everything was flashing.

That's no stuck mat. That's 1 or more ECUs having a **** fit 🤣

Bryan

RMS Regular
1696511719084.jpeg

I picked up my MG4 on Monday. Absolutely love it however the Lane Keep Assist function isn't fit for purpose and very annoyingly comes on every time you switch it on regardless of what you set it at. Stupid Ncap nonsense ruins a great car.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yet the BBC says the dash only lit up with faults when he was travelling along and then tried to turn it off. Plus it slowed to 15 mph for a roundabout.

Suspicious GIF

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Will they let you do it when the cars moving. Never driven an electric car maybe that’s what the police man did.
Yes, should go into N when moving, but not P. Works by turning a dial on the MG.
But if there was a major malfunction, then I guess that it wouldn't shift into N anyway.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Yet the BBC says the dash only lit up with faults when he was travelling along and then tried to turn it off. Plus it slowed to 15 mph for a roundabout.

Suspicious GIF
I keep saying it’s herbie brought back to life by the Chinese and he’s angry about being an MG 🤣

herbie the love bug volkswagen GIF

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
The inconsistencies between his Facebook account and BBC article are terrible. The reality is probably somewhere in between.

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Just reading through this 😂

"He said he had never seen anything like it and decided he was not willing to turn the engine on to see what was wrong."

He’d have been a while turning the engine on……😂