Best Bodywork/Paint?

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Problem isn't always the painter/bodyshop, some customers just think is a matter of throwing a little paint on it.

Had a woman leave a car off, the boss was out, took the keys, made sure I knew what had to be done as the boss didn't tell me exactly, and as she was walking to her lift she said I'll give yous a ring at 5 to see if it will be ready to collect this evening.

It was 3pm and 2 doors and a 1/4 panel had to be repaired and painted. I had to explain thst it won't even be ready to collect the next day never mind this evening, needless to say she wasn't that happy. Stupid woman.

Had plenty of customers in the same thinking. And the knee that want the cheapest and quickest jobs are the 1st ones to shout how bad you are round the country if something isn't just right.

And also from an employees side, the boss can be a p***k for think things can be done in 5mins when he's under pressure.

If you want a good/brilliant job, at least understand it will not be cheap and will take a little time, it is a skill at the end of the day, not like slapping some paint on your house wall haha

DC52TES

RMS Regular
KRCR gets my vote all day long. Terry is a complete perfectionist, I wouldn't let anyone else touch my cars these days.

Others are more than capable I am sure but why would I risk it when I no I can leave the car at KRCR and get it back better than new. It would drive me insane the whole "hope it turns out ok" thinking.

Anyone who no's me will no how fussy and anal I am.

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
I can't comment on anything bar I remember seeing a couple of cars done by paintworx (place in bangor I think) at a castlewellan car show, an s2000 stood out which had wheels and this and that but the paint which looked great in photos in real life looked like it had been done by rattle cans, it was shockingly bad.

@Bob CRX @marky

Bob CRX

RMS Regular
Drives
s20000
I can't comment on anything bar I remember seeing a couple of cars done by paintworx (place in bangor I think) at a castlewellan car show, an s2000 stood out which had wheels and this and that but the paint which looked great in photos in real life looked like it had been done by rattle cans, it was shockingly bad.

You should see it now. Jaw dropping doesn't come close.

marky

RMS Regular
Drives
911 sc,focus rs
Everyone has an opinion but with countless show winning cars, features and being the only body shop in Ireland sponsored by Ppg (biggest paint company in the world) they car had a few bits painted in a rush the night before the show but by no means left looking like it was painted with an rattle can. Anyone that wants to look at your work check out @Clark mk5 golf. This is the reason people including myself (a member from the start) hardly use rms as there is so much ass licking and ***** talking.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
The red S4 Paintworx sprayed has to be one of my favourite cars to be done in NI.

image-12.jpg

Little relevance to the thread question, but just appreciating their work.

C4L

RMS Regular
You should see it now. Jaw dropping doesn't come close.

Everyone has an opinion but with countless show winning cars, features and being the only body shop in Ireland sponsored by Ppg (biggest paint company in the world) they car had a few bits painted in a rush the night before the show but by no means left looking like it was painted with an rattle can. Anyone that wants to look at your work check out @Clark mk5 golf. This is the reason people including myself (a member from the start) hardly use rms as there is so much ass licking and ***** talking.

guys I can't comment on the state of the car now and I agree forums are full of ass licking and sh1t talking. I'm not in the cool crew in rms or any other forums I'm giving my opinion on the car I saw in the flesh and not hear say or how it might look now, 2 friends I was down with also commented on the state of it and we all looked forward to seeing it after the thread of the xxr wheels and brides etc going into it. That's it. No hear say, no bullsh1t... its an opinion shared by a few after seeing it (y) I've zero other comment on your work as I haven't seen it in the flesh so I'll not run it down or support it.

Bob CRX

RMS Regular
Drives
s20000
They weren't xxr

They wer real ccw's

The cars in bits. No engine. I was being sarcastic.

All good.

Reactions: C4L

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
Another one for AG Automotive here... I had a little work done recently by him... Awkward picky job to do. He took the time to talk me through it (even though he was up to his eyes busy). Everything was done on time and flawlessly. I am just about the pickiest picky person there is. Top bloke, top work.

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
Another one for AG Automotive here... I had a little work done recently by him... Awkward picky job to do. He took the time to talk me through it (even though he was up to his eyes busy). Everything was done on time and flawlessly. I am just about the pickiest picky person there is. Top bloke, top work.

Agreed. And everyone has there opinion and expectations etc etc. And they are all completely entitled to it. But I think ive seen paintwork by everyone mentioned in this thread so far and alan (ag) and Sammy Reid are head and shoulders above them all from the cars I have seen anyway. And that's my opinion that I'm also entitled to. Which is why I go so far away from home for every little bit of paint even tho it's a pain in arse being so far away

Last edited:

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Depends where you live, there are good painters all over the country. Having used half a dozen or so painters in the north down area none of them come close to KRCR, Terry is my bro in law but I respected him as a top class painter long before I married his sister.

Phil444

RMS Regular
OP
Phil444
Of all the names mentioned, KRCR are the only ones I have had any work done by. I was very happy with it and Terry and Richard are top blokes. Could be tempted to try AG on other work, but only to see the work of others. Currently have work with Terry and expect it will be as good as ever.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Great thread this, I think I'll take the E36 to AG Automotive or WJ Blair Accident Repair.

I have no problem making the drive up the north coast to AG Automotive if the guy is that good. I've always found you pay for what you get with bodywork, and going cheap on another car was not worth the hassle. My E36 is not something I would want to take any risk with :grinning:.

Phil444

RMS Regular
OP
Phil444
I think this has turned in to a really useful thread.

You're right Neiler, not worth taking the risk with any car you care about. Pay peanuts, expect monkeys. KRCR are very good, sounds like AG are seriously good too.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Great thread this, I think I'll take the E36 to AG Automotive or WJ Blair Accident Repair.

I have no problem making the drive up the north coast to AG Automotive if the guy is that good. I've always found you pay for what you get with bodywork, and going cheap on another car was not worth the hassle. My E36 is not something I would want to take any risk with :grinning:.

AG was working on a Dakar Yellow E36 the last day I was in with him, he has painted quite a few of them over the last few years I believe.

Phil444

RMS Regular
OP
Phil444
I think a lot of people (who actually care about their car) worry that getting individual panels or a couple will stand out as people can't do the match well enough, or just worry about a crap finish. Any of the good places will tell you that neither of these are an issue if the person doing it knows what they are at.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Whats strange is, lately orange peel is deemed acceptable :-/ Thats ok on a newer car cause the quality of paint on new cars is shocking. But cars that were done in the 90's had proper flat paint, you want the car re-finished that way,

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Whats strange is, lately orange peel is deemed acceptable :-/ Thats ok on a newer car cause the quality of paint on new cars is shocking. But cars that were done in the 90's had proper flat paint, you want the car re-finished that way,

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I'm planning on getting a full respray on the Scooby and I'm 99.9% decided on AG Automotive in Portstewart. It's a good two hours drive for me but if you want a good job be prepared to travel to get it.

stuarty7

RMS Regular
Drives
accord type s
Another for KRCR only ever seen and heard great things about them. Father in law has used them for long time and he would be very fussy. Also unlike most body shops if they give you a date for it to be done you get it back on that date. We use them for any of our bike builds with them currently doing cb450 in burgundy and cream.

Jason

RMS Regular
Personally myself and @106lad had a couple of bad experiences with AG Automotive, very poor prep on an M3 Bumper swage line that was laughably bad, and myself a car left in lacquer over spray all over the car (Must have been spraying another car or part near it I guess). We both have not been back since. Don't get me wrong his actual paintwork is top notch but just a couple of lazy fits on those jobs put us off, especially for the price.