Best car door speakers???

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Mickymc87

RMS Regular
Drives
320D-M-Sport
I recently bought a car and the speakers aren't that good. The rear two don't work (need to look at them) and the front too are bad quality.

I have a pioneer double din DVD player/cd player

I was thinking of then using pioneer speakers to replace the ones in the car ATM

Is there any better speakers out there??

Thanks for any help
Mick

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Of course there are better speakers out there but what is your budget?

I had Focal K2P's in my old A3 and they were awesome - £300 at least I think a set then you will need an amplifier (Genesis 4ch) to power them.

Are you looking a full system?

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
I'm not able to help, but I imagine even if I was an expert, I'd need a budget.

Mickymc87

RMS Regular
OP
Mickymc87
Drives
320D-M-Sport
Probably around £100?? Surly that would get me 4 decent sounding speakers lol

Bronk

RMS Regular
would prob get you a front set just :worried:

diamond audio are immense .. check ebay for front components :grinning:

Mickymc87

RMS Regular
OP
Mickymc87
Drives
320D-M-Sport
So I need to spend a fair bit to get results lol suppose I could stretch further, I just don't know what the prices are for this sort of stuff? Or where to get it?

I never really up grade audio

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
I wouldn't bother with £100 components. Up your budget to get a small amp and component set...IMO its the only real way to make a noticeable difference. Failing that, sell (me) the car and buy another car with better speakers :p

Mickymc87

RMS Regular
OP
Mickymc87
Drives
320D-M-Sport
lol it's an option haha

Ok so I need to up my budget lol I'm gonna have to do that then, when you say buy an amp does this amp power two speakers or all four?

And is there any shops local that sell this sort of set up?

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Surely there are decent used installs for sale?

Mickymc87

RMS Regular
OP
Mickymc87
Drives
320D-M-Sport
What all has to be done to amp door speakers? Is it a big/hard job?

Mickymc87

RMS Regular
OP
Mickymc87
Drives
320D-M-Sport
Go to audio advice ... They will keep you right on audio :grinning:

Yeah think I'm gonna have to do this! I really haven't a clue what im talking about when it comes to audio lol

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
What all has to be done to amp door speakers? Is it a big/hard job?

you can just buy plastic speaker adapters or make mdf ones.

then just run speaker wire from the amp to each crossover and then from the crossover to the mid and to the tweeter. simple enough, just time consuming!

Mickymc87

RMS Regular
OP
Mickymc87
Drives
320D-M-Sport
Thanks lads, I'll go to audio advice and see what they have. Thanks for the help :grinning:

sorou

I apologize for bumping this old topic, but I have done quite a bit of research on this, so I want to share my experience.
I happen to have a Rainbow Vanadium 8" Best Car Speakers (Sept. 2018) - Buyer's Guide and Reviews in a box - supposed to quite an impressive driver and modelled in WINISD its response walks all over the slim subs. The Aplineis where my hopes were initially pinned with the surface area and xMax as you note - but modelling the figures at least it is quite unimpressive in terms of bass extension / F3 and SPL (on paper the smaller Vanadium significantly outperforms the Alpine shallow 10" in extension and SPL - from what I have read it's SQ is good too).

This is what posed me to post, as everything I had to go on was calculated and what everyone's really interested in is how things actually sound So I thought I'd canvass opinion to see if I was barking up the wrong tree, or is the calculations were likely to be a true representation of the difference sound wise...

To add complication to my specific predicament though the drawback with the Vanadium is it is dual 4 ohm VC. I have no amp specs as it is fibre MOST input / OE and they won't release (or the people I've spoken to don't understand) the info. The current OE driver is 10", single VC and measures 3.1 ohm at rest, so I have no idea if the amp could drive into the two VCs in parallel as that would be a little less than 2 ohm, in series we are looking at 6+ ohms (so assumedly reducing the power and so the cone excursion / SPL which defeats the object somewhat) and as the Vanadium is rated peak at 250W I can't really run it single VC for fear of cooking the coil! Anyway, enough of my specific issues with that driver as that wasn't what the post was about!

So from what you say minbari it is quite possible the WINISD plots are right that in all reality an 8" could provide 'better' response than a 10" under these circumstances / compromises...

There are a lot of useful videos on this subject on Youtube, I'll leave one here, Hope this helps someone. Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.