BMW 540i xDrive

worky

RMS Regular
Drives
M135i
So been a few years in the wilderness in terms of cars, took a random notion one day that I wanted something with a bit more pace so the search began.

Couple of weeks of hunting looking at all manner of cars, few calls, few videos and a viewing later and I had decided on a 540i, nice and refined most of the time but has a turn of pace when the notion takes me.

No real plans for it other than drive and enjoy it.

Gave it a bit of a clean today but to be honest hadn't got much to do as the folks at Total Perfection had done a phenomenal job on it before I picked it up last week.

No fancy location here.. will get to somewhere a bit more picturesque soon.

Mk4sup

RMS Regular
Love those- considering one myself this year. Concerned it’s a bit quiet and civilised though. How you find it pushing on in sport? Much noise or drama?

worky

RMS Regular
OP
worky
Drives
M135i
It is a pure Jekyll and Hyde car, the contrast between just cruising along and jumping into sport does add inject a bit of drama. Beyond the M engines this is one of the best I think BMW have ever built, in a car of this size it's just relentless in terms of acceleration, not big whacks of torque just a really consistent smooth hurtling you forward. Noise is typical six cylinder BMW, not hugely intrusive but vocal enough, exhaust is quiet though. Gone are my days of 3" turbo back exhausts, well for now :grinning:

It's one of those cars that fools you into thinking you aren't going as fast as you are so in that way it which maybe does remove an element of excitement, like all modern all wheel drive machines the grip is staggering, to lose traction you'd have to be pulling off lunatic manoeuvres.

worky

RMS Regular
OP
worky
Drives
M135i
So had the car a few months now and continuing to really enjoy it, it’s a great all-rounder. Fantastic cruiser, perfect for commuting, running the kids about, however the notion takes me fire it into sports+ mode and it totally transforms it.

The ‘smart’ repair that was done before I picked it up lasted a good 6 weeks… so rather than mess about with it got the front bumper repainted and a few other small scratches lifted out of it. Really pleased with how the bumper turned out, use the same folks for my work each time and never been disappointed, bit pricier than most but worth every penny.

The car hadn’t covered big miles and I don’t fully trust the whole service every two year thing, but that’s probably just me. So got the car in for it‘s major service to put my mind at ease, if not my wallet!

During the service though as always where I live a nail was found in the tyre, with all the nonsense re xDrive and different tread depths front to rear I just bit the bullet and replaced all four. Was hard to get a full set but ended up with Bridgestone Potenza’s on it, replacing the Michelin Pilot Sports as simply couldn’t get my hands on a full set for sensible money. Bit nosier but that could be in my head.

With all that the plan is to just continue to enjoy it, still have the notion of a M5 in my head but for now this is keeping me contented.

5BB1E9D5-48FA-4039-9C25-CAF1C163DE85.jpeg

CE57D218-D089-4F5C-820B-991758F5AD3D.jpeg

7D264472-0575-46F0-961C-3AC0981A804D.jpeg

800DE2C2-B951-463D-A57E-F2B24CE61A55.jpeg

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
Looking at one of these at the minute myself. you would recommend them then? The one i am looking at is 2017 with 24k on it.

worky

RMS Regular
OP
worky
Drives
M135i
I’d definitely recommend it if you are looking something that does all things pretty well, I used to have a car for commuting and then a weekend today but to be honest I ended up never using the weekend toy. This ticks all boxes well in that regard.

Mine is an early 2018 so major service wasn’t due to early next year, depending on where in 2017 it’s landed make sure it‘s all serviced up, I got a discount from the Country Garage but was still expensive enough.

I’m averaging about 26mpg or so at the moment from mine but not doing my long trips, I’d say it’d settle in around 29/30mpg if I was.

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
Thanks. Yeah the one I'm looking at is from the country garage and they have said they'll service it before it goes. Only reason I am hesitating at the minute is price. This one I am looking at is 30k. Can't help but feel it's very much on the strong side. What did you pay for your yours if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to pm. Thanks

worky

RMS Regular
OP
worky
Drives
M135i
That’s really lovely.

Who painted the bumper?
Philip Allen, business is still under his dads name of Glenn Allen up near Churchtown off the moneymore dual carriageway.

Real attention to detail which I like as I’m super fussy

Last edited:

worky

RMS Regular
OP
worky
Drives
M135i
Had the 540i 3 years now, been looking at a few other motors to maybe replace it with but not settled.

The 540i does everything well across the board, good for family duties and has a turn of pace when needed. Can be a bit of a challenge to get parked in Belfast as it’s a big old machine. Looked at an X5 M50d, went well for such a big motor but wouldn’t make things any simpler for parking, toying with a M135i xdrive, good fun to drive but ultimately no faster than the 540i, does handle better but the B58 feels like it pulls harder than the B48.

Given the decent weather finally got to give it a half decent clean too.

IMG_0229.jpeg

IMG_0231.jpeg

IMG_0232.jpeg

worky

RMS Regular
OP
worky
Drives
M135i
The cold weather reminded me that I needed to stop procrastinating and change the emergency call battery in the car. Fired up a warning message that couldn’t be cancelled so was just an irritation.

The battery had been giving off all winter when temps dipped. Was told horror stories of it being a headliner out job…

In reality it was straight forward, remove the interior trim around the top brake light, wedge down the headliner a bit and pop the old battery out of the housing and slot the new one in, 5 minute job at most.

Expensive enough at £62, cheaper ones on eBay but didn’t want to risk a dodgy knock off battery. Old one did alright lasting 6 years going by the date stamp.

IMG_0252.jpeg

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
“It's one of those cars that fools you into thinking you aren't going as fast as you are so in that way it which maybe does remove an element of excitement…”

I think a lot of us can relate to that. I’m looking at older stuff again as a “fun” car because it’s shocking the speeds modern performance cars can reach now without even feeling like you’re anywhere near the limit. A recent Notice of Intended Prosecution really drove it home for me 😬

Glad to see you still have it though, lovely big bus!

worky

RMS Regular
OP
worky
Drives
M135i
So the 540i is away, was a great car and did everything asked of it. Will miss the B58, great at cruising along and had a bit of pace too.

The kids are a big bigger so lugging less stuff about so didn’t quite need as big a car any longer, fancied something a bit more performance oriented even if it does mean losing a bit of the serenity for daily driving duties.