BMW Experts? E90 330D Problems

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
If it's been 20k since you had a regen, i'd put money on that being blocked. Not necessarily the initial cause of the problem but it needs to have a pretty much errorless system to run regens, a couple like 2 or more glow plugs and it shuts down

Could be something like the exhaust temp sensor has the knock on effect and caused problems in all the other codes

I'm just hoping to get it running first and then I can sort all those other more minor issues after. This is the main reason why I've been sticking to 130/150 PD VAG engines the past 6 years, never a days bother in probably 200K.

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
So, sort of an update. I had stripped the inlet manifold off, replaced all swirl flaps with blanks, cleaned the EGR out, removed and tested all injectors then refitted them with new seals. I also replaced all six glow plugs as they were showing 'activation' errors on some of these and I know they can lead to DPF issues.

I built the car back up again and it started and would sit at a flat rev for a length of time but if I rev'd up and let it drop quickly she would die out. It done this repeatedly for a while and now it's back to the way it was at the beginning by only starting and literally ticking over for a maximum of about 5 seconds then she shuts down again. I need to hit the start button twice or remove and insert the key again before she'll start again, otherwise it will just turn over and not fire.

I have a funny feeling this could all be down to a DPF fault, is this a likely cause?

@Nicky - any suggestions?

dddrrift

RMS Regular
Think id start with the throttle valve actuator to begin with, and investigate that. Im assuming since you have blanked the swirl flaps you removed the stepper motor for them so the swirl flap code will remain. Check the resistance of the temp sensor as iv seen these cause havoc with limp mode etc also.

Iv had a few 320d's and 330d's with blocked dpf filters and not once have they experienced a sudden stop of the engine. Its more a gradual loss of power until the point where its so badly blocked the engine will no longer start. So I wouldnt assume its the dpf filter at this stage.

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
Hi there having the exact same issue how did u resolve it

I didn’t, I tried everything, it ended up starting up one day randomly and I got rid of it to some poor fella while she was running well (lumpy, but stayed running). God knows if it happened again or he got lucky, but I never heard from him again so I assume it was fine.