BMW M135i

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Had this car a few months now an it's been a great job, my first BMW and my first car with more than 140bhp!

20231008_151858.jpg
20231008_151919.jpg
20231008_151930.jpg

I've posted these pics elsewhere on here but this was my first good blast out with it, it was fantastic and I was so glad I didn't bring the Juke like originally planned instead.

20231001_111239.jpg
20231001_112118.jpg
20231001_140258.jpg
20231001_114736.jpg
20231001_114839.jpg

20231001_112012.jpg
20231001_112036(0).jpg
20231002_092053.jpg
20231001_140257.jpg
20231001_135807.jpg

Last edited:

_James_

RMS Regular
OP
_James_
Drives
V50/M135i
Done so far.
-Fitted Cruise control switches and coded them in myself (near shat myself when I thought I blanked the dash)
-Fitted Michelin Pilot 5's to the rear as the PS4's on it were looking very tired and cracked
-Bought a second key because the previous owner is a welt
-Bought wiper motor and arm for the rear as it really ****s me off not being about to see out the rear window.
-Found the exhaust valve was disconnected, so reconnected it and now its not in chav-spec 24/7

To Do.
-Oil leak, i think its the cam cover gasket/cam cover. I'm pretty sure this was hidden from me/and the dealer as the engine was very well washed down when I inspected it and before they prepped it for sale, the issue didn't become really apparent until around the 2week mark and has got to the stage I don't particularly want to drive it. The dealer I bought it from has agreed to fix it but as usual has went a bit silent. Its an easy enough repair and I could do it myself but that's besides the point.
-The exhaust valve is rattling on start up, I've got a replacement spring to fit which should sort that out.
-Front arches need attention, as well I don't know what one of the previous owners was thinking. This should be sorted out in December
-Bit of lacquer peel on the roof rails, nothing mad but will get this sorted when the arches are being sorted.
-Pull the front splitter off as it looks *****
-Full service including gearbox oil.
-Get a private plate, mainly because I don't like English plates and to hide the age of it.
-More POWER, it's surprised me how quickly 300bhp has become a bit ordinary

Hoping to have all this completed by the summer of next year and move it on for a convertible of some description as I bought it to commute to work but it just doesn't make sense wasting all that fuel to go up and down a straight road.

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
That’s nice. Cam cover gasket is a very simple job. Sump gasket not so much. You should do the oil filter housing while your at it

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
These still look great IMO, even with being out a while now. Actually in my mind they've only been out a few years, mental how time flies.

Sounds and go great as well, great all rounder and handy enough round a track as well

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Aye sound great and proper wheel drive. Get those metros in the bin and get looking at JB4 , ML performance is good for bmw bits.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Ahh so it was you I seen a couple of weeks ago at around 9pm on the westlink heading into town, I seen the English Metro plates and then convinced myself it wasn't you.

Always wanted an M135i, absolutely love them.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Done so far.
-Fitted Cruise control switches and coded them in myself (near shat myself when I thought I blanked the dash)
-Fitted Michelin Pilot 5's to the rear as the PS4's on it were looking very tired and cracked
-Bought a second key because the previous owner is a welt
-Bought wiper motor and arm for the rear as it really ****s me off not being about to see out the rear window.
-Found the exhaust valve was disconnected, so reconnected it and now its not in chav-spec 24/7

To Do.
-Oil leak, i think its the cam cover gasket/cam cover. I'm pretty sure this was hidden from me/and the dealer as the engine was very well washed down when I inspected it and before they prepped it for sale, the issue didn't become really apparent until around the 2week mark and has got to the stage I don't particularly want to drive it. The dealer I bought it from has agreed to fix it but as usual has went a bit silent. Its an easy enough repair and I could do it myself but that's besides the point.
-The exhaust valve is rattling on start up, I've got a replacement spring to fit which should sort that out.
-Front arches need attention, as well I don't know what one of the previous owners was thinking. This should be sorted out in December
-Bit of lacquer peel on the roof rails, nothing mad but will get this sorted when the arches are being sorted.
-Pull the front splitter off as it looks *****
-Full service including gearbox oil.
-Get a private plate, mainly because I don't like English plates and to hide the age of it.
-More POWER, it's surprised me how quickly 300bhp has become a bit ordinary

Hoping to have all this completed by the summer of next year and move it on for a convertible of some description as I bought it to commute to work but it just doesn't make sense wasting all that fuel to go up and down a straight road.
In the meantime you can request an NI plate from DVLA, just send the V5 and a letter to them

MattW86

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3
Nice one James…bit of an upgrade from the Volvo and that old MR2 of yours.

I’m sure it’s a B-Road weapon.

HTD

_James_

RMS Regular
OP
_James_
Drives
V50/M135i
Not a massive update but I got a three digit numberplate for the car without paying RMS three digit numberplate tax which I’m very happy with, hides the age of the car nicely!

20231219_155015.jpg

I also had the cam cover and gasket replaced with genuine parts along with the oil filter housing gasket for good measure. I wish it had of been a straight forward but it involved a botched initial repair as the dealer did not listen to me with the first attempted repair which left me at the traffic lights at Mallusk absolutely convinced the car was seconds away from going up in flames after collecting it. A few other issues happened at the same time which has slightly irked me but all in all that’s the joys of buying secondhand cars but the car has been running great ever since!

Another issue I raised during its “warranty period” was a knock from the steering that was diagnosed as the characteristics of “Sports suspension” fitted by the previous owner….which is absolutely bollocks, so I’ve had to buy a power steering bushing kit out of my own pocket in an attempt to put it right, I’ll be doing this when servicing the car over the next couple of weeks.

Also the exhaust is exhausting me, the valve rattles on cold start up and is doing my tits in. I bought a replacement spring and have fitted and adjusted the spring 3 times now but I just can’t get enough tension on the spring to remove the rattle but if I put a little pressure on the spring with my hand, the rattle vanishes…. I currently have a brainwave on now to solve this but I’ll have to wait until the next dry day to try it.

20240306_172049.jpg

And for the servicing, I’m now officially broke but this lot should keep her right for a while and hopefully make it a little more appealing to its next owner as I’d like to move it on over the summer as I miss convertible life!

IMG_0151.jpeg

Oil/oil filter
Air filter
Pollen filter
Spark plugs
Coolant
Aux belt, tensioner and idler
Power steering rack bush kit

Overall the car has been an absolute joy to own/drive and is surprisingly competent down a back road, I read so many people on here saying they handle like pish but I’ve came to the conclusion they can’t drive or run them on Davanti tyres!

20240202_102438.jpg

Last edited:

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
Not a massive update but I got a three digit numberplate for the car without paying RMS three digit numberplate tax which I’m very happy with, hides the age of the car nicely!

View attachment 427554

I also had the cam cover and gasket replaced with genuine parts along with the oil filter housing gasket for good measure. I wish it had of been a straight forward but it involved a botched initial repair as the dealer did not listen to me with the first attempted repair which left me at the traffic lights at Mallusk absolutely convinced the car was seconds away from going up in flames after collecting it. A few other issues happened at the same time which has slightly irked me but all in all that’s the joys of buying secondhand cars but the car has been running great ever since!

Another issue I raised during its “warranty period” was a knock from the steering that was diagnosed as the characteristics of “Sports suspension” fitted by the previous owner….which is absolutely bollocks, so I’ve had to buy a power steering bushing kit out of my own pocket in an attempt to put it right, I’ll be doing this when servicing the car over the next couple of weeks.

Also the exhaust is exhausting me, the valve rattles on cold start up and is doing my tits in. I bought a replacement spring and have fitted and adjusted the spring 3 times now but I just can’t get enough tension on the spring to remove the rattle but if I put a little pressure on the spring with my hand, the rattle vanishes…. I currently have a brainwave on now to solve this but I’ll have to wait until the next dry day to try it.

View attachment 427553

And for the servicing, I’m now officially broke but this lot should keep her right for a while and hopefully make it a little more appealing to its next owner as I’d like to move it on over the summer as I miss convertible life!

View attachment 427552
Oil/oil filter
Air filter
Pollen filter
Spark plugs
Coolant
Aux belt, tensioner and idler
Power steering rack bush kit

Overall the car has been an absolute joy to own/drive and is surprisingly competent down a back road, I read so many people on here saying they handle like pish but I’ve came to the conclusion they can’t drive or run them on Davanti tyres!

View attachment 427555
What was the botched initial repair? Cam cover is an easy job. They have the pcv built into them so it’s really a serviceable item

_James_

RMS Regular
OP
_James_
Drives
V50/M135i
What was the botched initial repair? Cam cover is an easy job. They have the pcv built into them so it’s really a serviceable item

I told them to change the cam cover and gasket as the cover warps which didn’t happen. The garage put a non-OE gasket on it, that’s as much as I know as I never looked. I just send it straight back to them as the smell of burning and smoke was much worse after the repair…along with an engine management light.

_James_

RMS Regular
OP
_James_
Drives
V50/M135i
just an update more for myself than anything else.

MOT time, so even though the vehicle was serviced when I bought it, I like to service cars at MOT regardless of mileage.
Oil/Oil filter, air filter, pollen filter changed with genuine bits.
20240330_153455.jpg

20240331_112013.jpg

Unfortunately I found my sump plug damaged on removal, I looked at the price of a replacement sump and gagged, so set about looking for an alternative repair. Laser do a repair kit for this very thing with a tap and M13 sump plus, ideally I should have removed the sump to do this but I watched a few videos on how to minimise swarf and set about doing it. Before starting I cleaned out the threads on the sump and using a cotton bud stick, I packed the “V” in the sump full of grease.
IMG_0184.jpeg

Not my pic, I didn’t take any…too angry.

I then kept a slow waterfall of cheap oil flowing as I worked, slathered the tap in grease and sent her on around a half a turn at a time, remove, clean, regrease and continue on until the job was done. Once finished, my grease barrier removed and threads cleaned, I flushed it twice with cheap oil and put the good stuff in. I’ll do another oil change in 100miles and renew the filter.

When I had the car jacked up to do the service, i had to get into the back and was met by a paddling pool.

Out came the interior, drenched the car a few times but could find the location of the leak. So carpets dried out and refitted, I’ll revisit this issue in the summer as it really hasn’t been ideal weather to do this. Inside the cab is now a bit stinky, so might invest in a carpet cleaner.

IMG_0167.jpeg

IMG_0170.jpeg
IMG_0172.jpeg

Billy bonus of doing all this work, I found the cause of a really annoying dash creak on the passenger side and it’s now gone! Yay!

I’ve had a knock in the steering since I bought it, it’s not always there but was annoying. Reading through all the BMW forums, I assumed it to be the steering rack bush, so I assumed that was the culprit as the dealer of the car had his mechanic check over it and told me it was the “sports suspension”. Easy enough job to do but it wasn’t the issue. Whilst I had the car off the ground, I had my girlfriend turn the steering whilst I was under the car and to me, it sounds like the knock is coming from up the steering column, so I’m going to buy a cheap column off eBay and test see if that helps. There is also a common failure at a universal joint but it sounds like the noise is coming from further up, almost as if in the cab rather than engine bay.

20240330_151045.jpg

20240330_133849.jpg

20240330_134143.jpg

So once the car was back on the ground, I took it to MOT yesterday and it passed with ease, the tester actually commented on how clean an example it was, so I was well chuffed.

Next up, change the spark plugs and fit a new aux. Belt kit but there is never enough hours in the day lately.

Then Bootmod time!

Last edited: