Brake Pipes

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

pablo

RMS Moderator
anyone know how easy/hard it is to make brake pipes? I need to replace the 2 at the front but one is burst so I cant move the car :worried:

so options are:

- pull the old pipes off and bring them to someone to copy (any ideas?)
- get someone out to sort it
- DIY them from scratch. Ive got a pipe flaring kit but no bender

any ideas?

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
If you know a friendly mechanic who has a pipe bender and flarer, try them. Do GSF or ECP do them at reasonable money?

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
I'd give it a go yourself - but when you are cutting the pipe to length use one of those plumber cutter jobby things, you screw it tight ish - turn it, screw it tighter and keep repeating - if you try to cut it in one go you will crush the pipe.

Like Metro says - hopefully a friendly mechanic can sort you equipment wise :laughing:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
I really dont fancy DIYing it lads too important a job to f**k up.

Im guessing I cant go into bmw and ask for 2 brake pipes? Im sure they make them up on the fly when thy are needed :worried:

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
They're pretty simple to make actually. I'm in the process of repiping my car transporter at the minute

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
what do u use as a bender?

ive seen benders in B&Q (ooo errr) wonder would they be suitable?

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
pablo said:
I really dont fancy DIYing it lads too important a job to f**k up.

Im guessing I cant go into bmw and ask for 2 brake pipes? Im sure they make them up on the fly when thy are needed :worried:

Most decent mechanics will have the tools to do it, and shouldn't charge a great deal. Try ECP etc first, who knows they might be dirt cheap(if they do them)

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
pablo said:
what do u use as a bender?

ive seen benders in B&Q (ooo errr) :party:wonder would they be suitable?

I have one of these

From www.frost.co.uk

bender5aa.jpg

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
that looks the ticket Mr Metro - how much was it?

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
If you can get me the old ones to copy and give me a couple days ill do them for ya.

kopite10

its a gift pablo, pipe bender for £15 in b and q and pipe cutter that does from 3mm to 22mm for £5 in same place. its honestly one of the easiest jobs you could do so give it a go

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
I bodged it enough to drive so going in tomorrow to get sorted - new pipes if needed :worried: Time to bend over :worried:

IMGP0199Small.jpg

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
^^^ pablo cable tie brakes - bloody hell :worried:

gonna be a hairy drive tomorrow to the garage!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.