Budget tyres

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
I recently bought an Audi A5 which had a fresh enough set of Mayrun Tyres. They were manufactured in 2014 so not terribly old. When the tyres were removed we found that 3 out of 4 tyres had completely delaminated around the inner sidewall. They were literally an accident waiting to happen.

Avoid cheap Chinese made budget tyres like the plague.

IMG_3395.JPG IMG_3396.JPG

hippyross

RMS Regular
I can't see what it is your pointing out, but yeah they are ***** especially for grip.

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
OP
B
Look at the bulge on the sidewall inside. It's an accident waiting to happen

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I pulled a dunlop off a rim that looked like that inside. I guessed it was damaged during fitting or something but glad I noticed it!

Interestingly Mayrun is owned by Kinforest:

Although the company Kinforest Tyre Co. Ltd. was set up only at the end of 2007, the organisation’s history goes back to 2000, when it bought tyre-making technology from Firestone. In 2006/2007, there was co-operation with Continental until the establishment of Kinforest Tyre at the end of the year....

Chinese Tire Companies: Kinforest Tyre Company

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Probably preaching to the converted here though.
I can't convince the other half of this, I came home with a new set of Pirellis all round on the A4, she near had a turn when I said how much they were (I personally thought they were reasonable enough), and proceeded to tell me that someone in the town would have tyres for £40. The price is the only thing that matters to most unfortunately.

hippyross

RMS Regular
I see what your pointing out now couldn't see if first time on my phone.
I've seen worse a lot of ppl like to drive low profile tyres flat, that makes a mess of the inside of the tyre.

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
OP
B
There was no strength in the sidewall at all. Lesson learnt, avoid anything with budget tyres on it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Probably preaching to the converted here though.
I can't convince the other half of this, I came home with a new set of Pirellis all round on the A4, she near had a turn when I said how much they were (I personally thought they were reasonable enough), and proceeded to tell me that someone in the town would have tyres for £40. The price is the only thing that matters to most unfortunately.

My Mrs is the opposite and freaks if I come home with anything even like Kumho!

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
OP
B
I was planning on replacing them from when I saw the car, just thought that they would do for a few months. Never again.

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
I don't think the consumer is totally to blame here. How many times have you went to the tyre fitter and asked about tyres and been told no no those ones are made in the same factory as........ or why spend more on those when these are just as good.

People selling tyres sell what they have in stock as well as what's profitable they may not always be the best for safety

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
OP
B
I've seen branded tyres do exactly the same if driven at speed while under inflated.
Could be Michelin or Chin-Wangs, many drivers dont bother trying to look after the basic roadworthyness at all.
Folk dont care.

These were not under inflated and showed no sign of any wear on the inside. They are purely just a rubbish and dangerous tyre.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I'm talking about in the pictures.
90% of the population don't want quality now days, cheap and cheerful that's all that want, buy cheap buy twice that's what I say.

Thing is, expensive doesnt mean quality either...nor does big brand names.

You'd wonder with all this EU bull**** about standards for tyres....we're still surrounded by ***** chinese junk. But all good according to the EU.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
My Mrs is the opposite and freaks if I come home with anything even like Kumho!

Her family just have no interest in cars at all. I had said to her sister (and her husband) that their car had a soft front wheel. Over 2 weeks later the tyre was still soft, so I took it myself to blow it up. When i Got in, the car was almost undriveable it was pulling so much, and on closer inspection, the new tyre was almost scrap because of this.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Sure a lot of the branded stuff is made in China / Taiwan / Indonesia

Absolutely. Hence it isnt so easy to say cheap/weird name tyres are crap, and expensive big name tyres are good. It just isnt as simple as that.

And it's apparent all the BS EU rules mean absolutely nothing about safety, performance or anything really.

If anything the biggest issue I've seen with some big name tyres is the rubber cracking. Some after only a few months.

But for the tyre in question..who knows what sort of history the tyre had. It could have been bounced off kerbs, driven at far too high or low pressure...or all sorts. You just never know or can know with anything like that you buy second hand.

Which is as good an advert for not buying part worns....but at the same time, why trust tyres fitted to a car you've just bought and know no history either !

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I've used them before too and never any major issues apart from a set of 'sunny' tyres that were absolutely horrendous.

Have had more bother with partworns, which is why I only buy new tyres now.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I run the cheapest tyres I can get at £40 or less and I have never fallen off the road.

I've been using Mohawks from Modern Tyres for the past few years on my van. Really cant complain about them at all. Last well, drive well, fairly well priced, and they feel good on the road too. Better than some Hankooks and Kumho I'd used before.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.