can anyone tell me..

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

isk85

RMS Member
what is wrong with my car?..my eml light is on AND... (i`ll cut the long story short ), i fitted a janspeed manifold + sports cat a few month ago which involved cutting and extending the upstream lamba sensor .everything went well( for a while anyway) then the car started to lose power, it wouldnt rev past 2k-3k. the car just chokes everytime i put my foot down.
the mechanic thought it might have been the extended lamba sensor so we replaced it. the problem remains.
had it diagnose a few times but no one seems to be able to find the answer.
does anyone know what this problem is? or even better direct me to a mechanic?

thanks

ps. forgot to mention i have my lamba sensor unplugged atm this seems to stop the problem from occuring, but when its back on the above issue kicks in.

this car is a 2002 mg zr 1.4

isk85

RMS Member
OP
I
yea i was told but thats the only way i can get the car moving... :confounded:

can u tell me the adverse affect of running without lambda?

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
It'll coke up the engine, an probably kill the cat. Lambda is there to make sure the engine isn't running too rich which overheats the cat, leading to it's untimely death.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
surely doing the reverse of what you did, ie remove the janspeed etc would be a start?

isk85

RMS Member
OP
I
i have already removed the janspeed cat and manifold but the problem still persist. i was hopin the eml will go off but it didnt...

thanks for the replys!!

rsnutter

R
isk85 said:
involved cutting and extending the upstream lamba sensor.

First thing i would check is your wiring then, its the most likly cause.

PrimO

RMS Regular
Its possible the higher flowing manifold/cat has burned out the O2/Lambda sensor and it needs replacing...also make sure that if your extending the wiring for the sensor that you solder all the joints as the O2 reading works on a very small voltage % change and you need to be sure each wire is soldered correctly and not merely twisted together and taped up.

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
The ECU could be reverting to limp mode. Also check the MAP sensor, as it can give problems too on Rovers

isk85

RMS Member
OP
I
rsnutter said:
First thing i would check is your wiring then, its the most likly cause.

i ws thinking about the wiring aswell but do u mean the the wiring loom that connects to the ecu, could there be a fault there?if you know what i`m talking about.

the diagnosis keeps picking up a fault from the lambda sensor altho i`ve already changed about 4 sensors including a brand new one which i have on now!

isk85

RMS Member
OP
I
yea there is one up stream and the other one near the cat...the one near the cat is fine tho.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
so theres one befofe and after the cat? have you tried/tested the other sensor? the one furthest from the cat in case it has died?

p 5ary

RMS Regular
the second sensor will only make sure the cat is working, this will not affect the running of the car
if you have taken everything of, the computer will probably stay lit to make you go to a dealer, try disconnecting the battery for a few mins, that will reset it

isk85

RMS Member
OP
I
p 5ary said:
the second sensor will only make sure the cat is working, this will not affect the running of the car
if you have taken everything of, the computer will probably stay lit to make you go to a dealer, try disconnecting the battery for a few mins, that will reset it

yea i have done that but light is still lit i tried reconnecting the lambda sensor today but same thing happened after 2 minutes of driving!!

+i also want to add, it always happens after refuelling aswell.

thanks for the replys

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.