Car cover's? Good/bad idea?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

minibutmighty

RMS Regular
Just wondering what the car care pro's think.

Our GP mini isnt out too much, and its sitting in the back of a sort of car port type area. Just wondering is a car cover on top of it a good idea? As it's covered in dust and cats hairs each time I good out to it!

There isnt an official mini one made yet due to the rear wing differences to the standard car. And dont know whether they will release an indoor or an outdoor one.

Anyway, I was all for getting a car cover along with a few other UK GP drivers but someone with a classic mini collection told me she was advised not to put car covers on them as it wasn't good for the paint?

Anyone with any knowledge or experience of car covers.

Siilver

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Polo
sweat is the problem
im sure its not the best for the car

but keeping of dust is

focus_rs_jonny

RMS Regular
Drives
Datsun
your best with an expensive outdoor one. it needs to let the paint 'breathe' so to speak.the back of magazines like top gear and evo usually advertise them

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
You can get a breathable cover which should be dead on. I think you'll pay over £100 for a decent one though, rather than the £25 Argos specials.

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
yeah cheapo ones can damage paintowrk etc as well.
heard a few stories of people leaving em on for a while and taking them off to find rubb marks where the wind had caught it a few times

NO BETTER MAN

carcoontp9.jpg

there s the only job man i have my sierra in this and have too say they are a top job, not cheap but you get what you pay for ...

and you can get them in outdoor..

Ghost

RMS Regular
oh god, looks like a star trek prop

NO BETTER MAN said:
carcoontp9.jpg

and you can get them in outdoor..

surely thats not yours ? if so how much, looks like u got it outa startrek, but wouldnt say no if u offered me one ! Lol good job.where can one locate an item like such?

there s the only job man i have my sierra in this and have too say they are a top job, not cheap but you get what you pay for ...

-Pete-

RMS Regular
is that car brand new not even driven or something? are you keeping it factory fresh!?!? :laughing:

Bambi

RMS Regular
what costs more the sierra or the cover? :p

yeah a decent cover will cost a good bit as stated before as the fibres in the chepo ones can rub at your paint work and scratch it.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Carcoons are a def a really good job, but if kept inside them too long, the rubbers etc will eventually dry out since there is next to no moisture inside them!

NO BETTER MAN

the carcoon for my car cost £400 quid , think outdoor one s are about £50 quid more . go too www.carcoon.co.uk

@ pete , there s very little mile on the car , car never be s out only a few show s during the year on avarage about 200 miles a year.

@Bambi wise up what age are you !!! if you had my car you d be hard too listen too.

@ amg 306 , i would aggree there is little moister in them but if used for winter and few months in summer just leave the car in the garage then id say it will be fine..

have looked into theses for a long while and anyone ive ever talked to has never had a bad word on them.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I wasn't saying it's a bad thing, just something to look out for. We only put the cars into it over the winter time.

They are def the best thing out there for car storage!

neil205

RMS Regular
Drives
Cupra
o dear, i keep a cheapo car cover on mine, dont think i would spend 4 hundred on one , is there any beter methods?watabout a nice cosey blanket or 2

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Cosey blanket attracts dirt and doesnt keep most out. If u like you car ud build and garage and get a custom car cover made for it.

PhilG

RMS Regular
i aint a pro but.... bad idea. If theres any dirt/grit on your car or the cover, pulling the cover off the car will rub it into the paintwork. Possibly causing the likes of swirls.

neil205

RMS Regular
Drives
Cupra
Tufty said:
Cosey blanket attracts dirt and doesnt keep most out. If u like you car ud build and garage and get a custom car cover made for it.

if i like my car?^o) , i do like my car and i treat it well, im sorry i didnt know this :-#

Bambi

RMS Regular
neil205 said:
if i like my car?^o) , i do like my car and i treat it well, im sorry i didnt know this :-#

that was just his way of giving out advice (hes trying to be helpful).i wouldnt take it to heart. :grinning:

and at my previous quote '@ Bambi wise up what age are you !!! if you had my car you d be hard too listen too.'

1. i wasnt offending your car everyones choice is diffrent as what they want to drive i was just having a laugh as the cover was expensive, members on here seem to dish it out but they cant take it.

2. if i had your car? im sorry but if i had the money it wouldnt be what id buy personally.

minibutmighty

RMS Regular
OP
M
Hmmm, carcoon would look a little rare, as people on the street can see the car! May be building garages next spring which will solve the whole thing.

Anyway, I was looking at an official mini cover which cost in the region of 150 quid. Where the car is it doesnt get wet ever and its sheltered from the wind by my car. Its just the damn dust and cats hairs that float onto it!

They may however never release a fitted cover for the GP as there are only 2000 of these models in the world and it may not prove profitable for Mini/BMW.

So looking at a custom cover at best.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.