Car tax problem

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

marty55

RMS Member
Drives
crx vt-t
Going to tax my car tomorrow, i need MOT test cert and a cert of insurance.
The thing is, I cant find my cert of insurance due to constant producing at police stations.
I have a policy schedule but im told i cant use this. My dad said he has got a tax disc though by showing a policy.
Help?

bigboybora

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Cabrio 1.8T S
my friend was down the other day and she had no certificate either but they wouldnt tax it without one. might depend on who serves ya tho.

marty55

RMS Member
OP
M
Drives
crx vt-t
He said if you tax it at the post office they are a bit more leniant.

Ma55ey

RMS Regular
Take ur policy down with u m8,its all on computer now and they can find out if ur car is insured or not thru it!!! Or if ur jst renewing ur tax,go 2 post office coz they dnt really have a clue neway!!!lol

Clare_GTi

Drives
Mini Cooper
get a duplicate, your going to need it again since you keep getting stopped by the cops anyway :p

Crimson Viper

Drives
Integra Type R D
can ye not do it over the interenet like the way we do it if we dont have certs?
Ye just pay it by credit card then and your disk is sent out to you in about three working days.

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Get a duplicate,i had to,Was a bloody ngihtmare.Better being totally legal incase ya get caught...

marty55

RMS Member
OP
M
Drives
crx vt-t
well the post office refused me so i have to wait on a duplicate. 3-5 working days due to bank holidays etc.
Just hope i dont get stopped by a copper on a power trip this weekend.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
marty55 said:
well the post office refused me so i have to wait on a duplicate. 3-5 working days due to bank holidays etc.

No tax = no insurance = no drive

I wouldn't be worried about the police, what if you ran into someone, how are you going to pay for it with no insurance? :relieved:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
A 'mate' of mine is insured, but has no tax or mot.. 'He' got a date for the mot, and cant get tax without the test, but they say its expemt from both until then...

Anyone know anything about this?

Steven

RMS Regular
Drives
Nothing exciting
marty55 said:

I'm in the same boat and think its a pile of w@nk!! Just bought a new car (2nd hand from a dealer) and just kept the tax of my old car to get the money back from it at some stage. So therefore i bought the car with no tax. Just mot'd on monday so i have that, and i have it insured, but because i bought online with elephant i have 2 wait 3-5 working days for my policy/cover note etc 2 be sent out!! I rang them and they faxed me the cover note but i've been told this is no good and won't be accepted in order 2 tax the car!!

My point is if i get stopped by the police they'll prob do me, when it kinda isn't really my fault!

Rik

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E46 M3
I went to tax the GSi today, I had everything V10, MOT, Licenece etc but only the insurance policy and they didn't tax it the ****s

jonny106

RMS Regular
Drives
Vtec....errr yo!
This has happened to me before aswell-most will not let you through with just the policy.As has been said get a duplicate.Saw the CRX in town on wed night-loud!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I'm sorry if I sound like a t**t, but it's pretty simple lads, unless you have tax, insurace and MOT, you shouldn't have the car on the road, I don't see why you all seem to be confused about it.

To put it simply, if you 'think' you are insured, but have no tax or MOT and you ran into the back of me, I would fooking sue you for being on the road without all the legal documents. The way I see it, why should I bust my balls and sort my tax/MOT/insurance so some fookwit drives his 'illegal mobile' to the local shop and takes me out on his way! Not really fair, is it?

jonny106

RMS Regular
Drives
Vtec....errr yo!
Certain problems do sometimes arise meaning you don't havetax or MOT-it doesn't mean youre a fu3kwit.Its not always a concious decision to break the law.And at least these people mentioned are trying to get their tax/mot sorted in good time.Try living in Tyrone or Fermanagh mate,less than 40% of the population there actually have tax or insurance.Not saying its right but it happens.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Damn Fine Clio said:
A 'mate' of mine is insured, but has no tax or mot.. 'He' got a date for the mot, and cant get tax without the test, but they say its expemt from both until then...

Anyone know anything about this?

If the date of your MOT is not in the near future u should have got an exemption which can be used to tax ur car. However u are not exempt from road tax or mot, so if u just have a date then the car can't be used on the road except going to and from the test centre - end of.

Steven

RMS Regular
Drives
Nothing exciting
Woodcutter said:
I'm sorry if I sound like a t**t, but it's pretty simple lads, unless you have tax, insurace and MOT, you shouldn't have the car on the road, I don't see why you all seem to be confused about it.

To put it simply, if you 'think' you are insured, but have no tax or MOT and you ran into the back of me, I would fooking sue you for being on the road without all the legal documents. The way I see it, why should I bust my balls and sort my tax/MOT/insurance so some fookwit drives his 'illegal mobile' to the local shop and takes me out on his way! Not really fair, is it?

No offence m8 but i have MOT and insurance! I just need my car taxed but cos i went with elephant i ave to wait until they send me out the relevant documentation. I phoned elephant and i was i told i pretty much had 2 wait but that they would stand by any insurance claim right now, even though i have no tax!! i got them 2 fax me the insurance but the tax office wouldn't take it, and bcos its a new policy i have 2 wait 15 days for it to be on the computer so i don't even have that option!!! from ur words i guess tough **** 2 me!!

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
if u have an mot exemption you can drive as much as you like up until the mot date and use the exemption to tax the car.

sdd

on several occasions over the years when i have went to the post office i have forgotten to bring my insurance or have brought the worng thing, and the post office in magherafelt and cookstown have both looked up the phone book and checked with the insurance company to see if i had a policey or not. i've never had a problem.

pablo

RMS Moderator
not having tax doesnt mean no insurance afaik. if you have a genuine reason then Im sure you will be fine. ie Im waiting on my cert here is a faxed cover note officer.

pablo

RMS Moderator
saying that its getting kinda late in the month for the old grace period should have had it sorted 3 weeks ago :p

Boksic

RMS Regular
when i first taxed my car all i had was MOT cert, log book (not in my name - the woman filled it out and sent it away for me) and a printout off the internet with my policy number from quinn direct as they hadnt sent me an insurance certificate yet. The woman in Ballymoney post office sorted me out no problem.
Pity my throttle cable broke on the way their - but thats what god invented shoelaces for :laughing:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.