Car transport England to NI

Jonty87

RMS Regular
Any guidance as to cost or who to go to and see about transporting a car from Downham market England to Belfast?thanks

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i

If its driveable would you not consider flying over and driving it back yourself? I done it twice last year and enjoyed it. Gives you the chance to try the car out.

Jonty87

RMS Regular
OP
Jonty87
Oh yea it’s driveable for sure. I may end up doing that and driving it back. Question for you having done it before. Would I tax the car somewhere in England before driving for the boat?or drive her home and tax in the post office at home?

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Oh yea it’s driveable for sure. I may end up doing that and driving it back. Question for you having done it before. Would I tax the car somewhere in England before driving for the boat?or drive her home and tax in the post office at home?
Both of mine were bought from franchise dealers, I taxed them online using their system before leaving their showroom.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Downham Market is a really nice spot, I used to pass through it on my way from Castle Donington to Diss in Norfolk. There are some nice roads and villages going across country via Melton Mowbry, Rutland water, Stanford, Downham, Thetford forest etc. Very difficult to get to from an airport though unfortunately. Might be able to get a train from Stanstead up to Downham via Cambridge. Still not easy, I'd only collect it personally if you have a couple of days free.
Edit: Just checked, around 1.5 hours by train from Stanstead to Downham (y)

Last edited:

gerryp

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997
I brought a car back from Penzance two weeks ago.
Getting there was a bit of a journey.
Flew into Bristol and hired a car and drove the 170 miles.Bought the car and left the hire car at their Penzance office.
Was a lot easier as I had a friend with me.
Taxed the car the next day when I got home.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Try Johnston transport too they are transporting a car for me from here to Manchester for £250

davyk31

RMS Regular
Brought several cars from England to here and would need consider driving it. So many hours wasted and likely costs more in the end. Simple process to get it on a lorry and dropped at your door. Very quick service as generally it's less than a week.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I suppose it depends what your buying age etc and from who. I always enjoyed my day trips and the drive home through some great roads plus you can walk away if the cars not right, once it lands at youre door off a lorry he ain’t taking it back if somethings wrong.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I suppose it depends what your buying age etc and from who. I always enjoyed my day trips and the drive home through some great roads plus you can walk away if the cars not right, once it lands at youre door off a lorry he ain’t taking it back if somethings wrong.
That's my main reasons for doing it.

gerryp

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997
That's my main reasons for doing it.

Had this problem when I bought a Z4 from a dealer in Nottingham.
Took his word on the cars condition over the phone.Paid him and got the car lifted.
Car arrived home but not in the condition he described.
Previous damage and poorly repaired.
He eventually agreed to take the car back and refund me but I was out the transport costs each way.
A lesson learned.
Have bought a few cars in England since but I will always go myself and check them out first.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
In fairness you should get lots of pics and videos before you even book a flight, never mind book transport.

Absolute ton of photos of the XJ and a couple of walk round videos and same for the A4. No surprises (aside from that bloody cambelt lol)

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
As above, I told the guy who is buying the Corsa I’d rather he was coming over to view it in person but he had seen the details in the advert I wrote and I have sent him about 50 photos of it and 2 videos of it, walk around and starting etc he seemed happy with that and booked the transporter.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a company to transport a car from NI to southern England? Also does anyone have an idea of approximate cost?

davyk31

RMS Regular
I asked this week about bringing a car from the south coast to here and was about £800 plus VAT.
That was an hour below London so not that handy but even Scotland an hour from the boat was £500 plus VAT.

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a company to transport a car from NI to southern England? Also does anyone have an idea of approximate cost?
Try Parker transport they quoted me £400 cash last week from Newport back to their yard.

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Be worth trying Woodside, they quoted me a very reasonable figure to bring back a C63 from a Mercedes dealership in Birmingham many years ago.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
So Has anyone had a car transported recently and with who if so?
Prices are obviously up from a year or 2 ago but just shopping around first. I think still Johnson Brothers are the most competitive I can find. Needs lifted in Birmingham.