Cat D Car Purchase

johnjb

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo V50
Advice required would you buy a Cat D car,spotted a good car but it has been in an accident.
Any thoughts would be welcome,has anyone done this before?

gsmith

RMS Regular
Wouldn't put me off if priced accordingly. I've had a few and all of them where cosmetic damage. Bumper wing headlight etc. Would still be worth giving it all the normal checks you'd do with any other car and trying to pinpoint what was damaged and see if it's well repaired. There's many a car on the road that have been badly repaired that's never been registered I've seen a few cars unrecorded and butchered and put back on the road. You will no matter what anyone tells you find it harder to resell it as some people will point blank refuse to buy a recorded car.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
People in NI are snobby about catergorised cars or anything over 100k, so you either need to be keeping it a long time or for it to be dirt cheap to shift on again if not.

Bar that it wouldn't bother me as repairs would have been carried out properly, at that point anyway. Plenty of non cat cars running about with iffy bodywork repairs off books.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
As said above depends why its been a Cat D and how old the car was when it happend and what type of car it is.

A normal daily driver would have no problem with one but if it was a performance car i’d proceed with caution

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Can't advise too much but definitely get an insurance quote before buying.
My daily driver is a 20 year old cat C I saved from the crusher and personally in my case insurance is exactly the same as a non categorised one.
My last car was a cat C as well, written off for literally needing just a bumper and grille. Bumper bar hadn't even been pushed back so depending on the age of the car the damage may have been minimal/trivial to put a line through it. I'd assume cat D cars are much the same.

brendy

RMS Regular
My daily driver is a 20 year old cat C I saved from the crusher and personally in my case insurance is exactly the same as a non categorised one.
My last car was a cat C as well, written off for literally needing just a bumper and grille. Bumper bar hadn't even been pushed back so depending on the age of the car the damage may have been minimal/trivial to put a line through it. I'd assume cat D cars are much the same.
Pretty much but some companies will not insure either categories.

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
Pretty much but some companies will not insure either categories.
How can that be, if your insured with these companies and someone damages your car then it becomes catargorised do they cancel your policy or not renew your policy?
Its the insurance assessor that catargorises the car,surely they would be putting themselves outta business. Only difference is they may value the car less in event of a claim. That would be an insurance company that doesnt insure cars that have used the service of an insurance company.

Last edited:

brendy

RMS Regular
How can that be, if your insured with these companies and someone damages your car then it becomes catargorised do they cancel your policy or not renew your policy?
Its the insurance assessor that catargorises the car,surely they would be putting themselves outta business. Only difference is they my value the car less in event of a claim. That would be an insurance company that doesnt insure cars that have used the service of an insurance company.
Not sure how it works mid policy.
comparethemarket.com - Your essential guide to insuring a category D car

genman

G
its all about how to asses any new damaged bits vs old poor repairs...so companies try to stay clear.
as said its not really an issue with an older car

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
The wifes old Clio was a cat D, she drove it for 5 years, mot'd every year, the fourth year of insurance renewal, they questioned it. She told them she'd ben driving it 4 years and had it MOT'd every year with no issues, they were happy enough with that.

plexo

RMS Regular
Drives
Mitsubishi
Wouldn't worry me, just means its listed its been in a crash, not pulled outta a hedge while nobodys looking and patched up hoping nobody notices like the rest of the "mint" ones you see

See about getting some details as to why its cat D .. check over all the usuals for damage and repairs.

as above too resale is harder because nobody likes them, if your wanting to keep it a brave while it shouldn't bother you

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Depends entirely why it was categorised.

Most cars on the register will have had some kind of shunt but there are always exceptions. I saw a cheap rs4 recently which had not been crashed but had the original wingback seats stolen along with the wheels, these were the guts of £4k to replace with new items so they wrote it off instead.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Its the insurance assessor that catargorises the car,surely they would be putting themselves outta business. Only difference is they may value the car less in event of a claim. That would be an insurance company that doesnt insure cars that have used the service of an insurance company.

The policy is cancelled and you have to pay the policy in full (if you haven't paid up front) unless you can replace the car quickly. Mine wouldn't insure it until i could prove it was fixed after being written off.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
CatD would put me off much less than seeing cheap crap used to service it.

But as this is northern ireland, we'll wind the clocks back, service it with the cheapest sh*te we can get ahold of and still claim it's better than a Cat D car. Nah.

If the repairs have been done right, chances are the repairs will last longer than the car as manufacturers wouldn't be that keen on preventative treatments in areas out of sight.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Any way to find out the damage of a CAT D/N car?

This particular car was bought at auction (repaired) but registered as CAT N - I assume light front damage given that it is repaired vs the cost of the car hence the write off. Would just like some more details if possible

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Any way to find out the damage of a CAT D/N car?

This particular car was bought at auction (repaired) but registered as CAT N - I assume light front damage given that it is repaired vs the cost of the car hence the write off. Would just like some more details if possible
None at all unless you are buying from the person who owned it when it was damaged. Even then you are merely hoping they took some images of the damage.