Catalytic converter placement for MOT

Rossios

RMS Regular
Hi guys,
Hopefully someone who is knowledgeable in MOTs can help me out.

I currently have a 00 MK4 GTI 1.8t with a 3 inch decat DP going to a 2.25 inch toyosport cat back, my MOT is in 2 weeks and to pass emissions I'm going to do the old redex and rag it before the MOT, but for the visual inspection I'm going to fail.
I'm going to install a dummy cat on the car but due to lack of space and a joint in the exhaust I'll have to weld it after the oxygen sensor thats meant to go into the cat as circled.
Can the lovely MOT man fail me on this due to the cat being placed incorrectly after the sensors or an I completely over thinking this?
Ignore the state of the subframe as a TT one is going in soon!

Thanks

Attachments

• Snapchat-1988984291.jpg
    Snapchat-1988984291.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 401

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
Thanks guys! Another job ticked off the list lol​

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Hoping for a bit of knowledge

Went through MOT last night no issues at all thankfully, only thing is I noticed my HC ppm was rather high, my RS6 has a 40ish ppm HC reading, maybe because the exhaust doesn't crossover it's lower I dunno 🤷‍♂️

But the E36 has a crossover so I'm imagining that maybe in a similar circumstance it would have around 79 ppm? That's not what my question is though

It's ppm is 158 which is within tolerance of under 200, but seems high to me, could this be due to the cats not working as they should? Be better without them?

The CO looks to be fine at .02 Vs the RS6s .04

Anyone any thoughts? Were HC emissions higher on older engines?
20191204_130929.jpg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Nothing to do with crossovers etc.

And for a 98 car as we do not do a proper emissions test here ( yet ), you just need to be below 1200ppm HCC

Hydrocarbons are mostly unburnt fuel, so whether there is an inefficiency somewhere, slight misfire, or something along those lines....who knows. But as it's a mile away from a fail at present, never worry about it unless there are some sort of other symptoms of an issue.