Catalytic Converters

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Adam

RMS Regular
August 92 I think. My Astra is April 92 and the MOT guys said it was fine.

jonnymccollam

RMS Regular
Drives
306 bey
i no ppl with cars that were born in 1999 nd passed with no cat!as long as ur emissons r ok your sweet i think

jonny

pablo

RMS Moderator
think it depends how awake the tester is.

i *think* technically it has to have a cat but Id say 1/2 the time they dont check.

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
technically the car does not need to have a cat to pass mot, providing it is a replacement pipe, that does not look like a botched job that is, all you need is a well made cat replacement pipe, and a ok emmissions, but remember, the emission laws will change soon enough, so remember to keep your old cat as they do cost a fortune to rebuy, even scrap yard prices are normally 50 quid and upwards

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Do diesels need to have a cat??
I took the inside out of mine so it still looks like one from the outside, but there is nothing in it!

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
they have not yet started to do smoke tests in mot centres on diesel cars, so not realy, that law doesnt come in for a we while yet, probably after you sell the car!

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I know they don't do emission tests, if they do start soon, I'd be ****ed!!!!
But do they still not have to have a cat fitted?

Dermot

I MOT'd my old SRI cav with the Cat hollowed out
Fast_cav MOT'd his With the Cat removed and a stright bit of pipe welded in place..

I supoose it depends on the inspector on the day, Like When there failing Cars Daily on not having a Locking Fuel cap... or The wrong speed/load rating on tyres a De-Catted car actually seems like a serious offence ...lol

bakkah

Not sure if MOT standards are different in NI as spend lot of time in scotland and get it done there but mine passed last week minus cat but only after having bit of argument with MOT guy. Told them straight off there was no cat, and that the following should be followed from the MOT manual:

http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t/images/mot-cat.gif

Just so happens that a 95 FTO isnt in their computer (exact match bit in picture) so it has to be tested as a non-cat car with the higher emissions, nice little loophole. The guy was really pissed at having this pointed out as last time he did the test wrong and put car in as a galant which it passed fine with the cat in. Thought he was going to fail me for 101 things but was just a spade connector loose on a fog light switch which happens occasionally, cheapest MOT ever :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.