Charge for detailing? You MUST pay to post

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
i wont keep my hopes up that this will be intact in the morning so ill save a copy for prosperity...

Rfg

RMS Regular
what about a dedicated rule list so everyone is clear what counts at profiteering from the site so then everyone is clear on the rules. I know I do a few cars but only like posting up the tasty ones but personally I make no money form them just enough to cover my costs and allow me to buy new waxes etc. I dont want to be seen by others as touting a business that does not exist but I do have a few very tasty cars that would make for nice write ups but now am unsure about posting them so probably won't just to stay on the safe side.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
It's a hard one all right. However, I think there is a difference between someone simply posting their work in the discussion forum threads and then the paying traders who get a dedicated section in the traders forum and adverts around the site.

If someone happens to make a few quid from detailing I say fair play to them for being entrepreneurial, but that alone shouldn't dictate whether or not they can post their work in the general forum.

As said where you draw the line for other services that people provide on here...?

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
i think there will have to be a long hard think on the rules ! coz if you cant help others in giving advice on cleaning cars this section shouldnt exist

on the up side ive paid my money so am now too good for all you,s above and am officially excluded from this arguement:p

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
id have no problem paying an annual fee - most sites do it now anyway!!

and yes, I have been using RMS for 8yrs (longer if you include the MK1 RMS) to win favours (y)

im on cliosport.net and its 10 a year that would go down well in the drift world alright ;) and stil have plenty of change to run the site

Amos

RMS Regular
Drives
What ever is in
i think there will have to be a long hard think on the rules ! coz if you cant help others in giving advice on cleaning cars this section shouldnt exist

on the up side ive paid my money so am now too good for all you,s above and am officially excluded from this arguement:p

I wondered how you got away with the Fire Glaze thing..... lol..:laughing:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I know who on here could 'detail' my car for a small fee because of these self promotion threads (and some are not site sponsors). I think Cooper has a very valid point... fairs fair lads. If someone is forking out to advertise then maybe you could respect that.

If someone you haven't met contacts you on RMS asking you to detail their car then IMO the rules were being broken re advertising. If no-one has ever asked you to detail their car on here then fair enough...

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
The section is for the general memberbase. 95% aren't charging for detailing - and I'm not looking to penalise anyone who gives help and advice. Its the select few who are actively chasing business on the site without being fair and paying a small contribution to keep the wheels turning here. This is not much to ask.

-Pete- has a PM as such ludicrous replies won't even be entertained on here.

Andy

Rfg

RMS Regular
I agree Coog thats then getting money form the site, but also what if you dont get enough to cover the £20/month fee thats £240/year which is alot of money just to use post on an internet forum. for that you need to be getting regular income with a full time job as well most people only do a car now and again though, but if it is regular then I agree its right to make them pay as I am sure there is alot of admin charges to run the site. Personally if I was getting regular work I would have no problem paying as it would be a good way to get business.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
This is the quandry - full timers for sure that makes sense. Part time detailers - and there's plenty about, will cry that they don't want to pay for advertising. But that is totally unfair on paid up advertisers if they are allowed to advertise for free! Worse than that the part-timers then feel done out of beer tokens as they aren't allowed to tout for business on here, yet here is where possibly a lot of their work has come from!

Its not an easy situation, and several of you I'm sure have got PMs from me asking if you are trade, and sometimes you aren't and generally that's OK and threads then generally get left up. I take it on a person by person basis, but the warning is loud and clear that people should be aware of the trade packages and how the site is run.

Also if anyone has any ideas for improving trade packages or the way it is implemented I'm all ears.

Thanks
Andy

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
i see what cooper is saying completely....

most people on here know who charges for detailing - those who do it a bit more regularly, for example, so it's only fitting that these people pay a bit for promoting themselves.

with no offence intended, -Pete- - you're coming across like this is a personal attack on you, and coming across as a bit of a knob about it.

you know you charge for your services, and you are bound to have cleaned a couple of cars on here or through here by recommendations.

it is what it is..... pay your dues or wind your neck in a bit....

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
lol thankfully i dont trust myself to detail anyone elses motor yet! :laughing: yoooooooooo

seen this coming for a while, ppl signin up wi mad flyers etc and kak pics of 'details' they have done and not really contributing to anything else on the site... poor.

as said most ppl know who does the detailing and who does it well... i doubt they'll be overly affected if they stop posting details etc.

altho i feel a lot of knowledge and techniques could be lost... altho perhaps they could post up some how to's which would help a lot for different techniques/products?

wet sanding/stone chips/ etc etc

Rfg

RMS Regular
what about having a different price bracket ie
full timers can pay-x, with all the benifits
you can pay -y but are only allowed say 1 detail post per month with no additional advertising but it is a low enough fee to make it worth while.

or what about as mentioned pay by contributing to the site ie how to's or giving demonstrations at a few meets etc.

say £5/month or £10/month for 2 detail posts it would allow a part timer the chance to make the money back.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
or cheaper package limited to say a low number of images, have a set format?

example 4 before's, 2 during (50/50's etc) and 2-4 afters, full timers get full benefits? unlimited imaging

Bass c

Banned
Blanket ban on it is the only way it would work. Pay or don't show any "details", even if they are "tasty motors" and your costs are being covered only (thats still a business). Cooper needs the money to pay Pablo :worried:

Everyone knows who the people who clean cars on here. The non trader ones to our the better ones too. The main trader detailer on here i wouldn't trust to wash my car let alone attempt to buff it for a stupid price.

Jonto

RMS Regular
Drives
finger up arse
Everyone knows who the people who clean cars on here. The non trader ones to our the better ones too. The main trader detailer on here i wouldn't trust to wash my car let alone attempt to buff it for a stupid price.

o dear........o dear me this could cause a row

Bass c

Banned
is this being sarcastic, or a genuine dig?

do you have reasons to quantify what you've said?

Thats genuine and from his customers reports. Easy to see in his pics too. Which when pointed out is deleted (posts not even from me)

Just cus you can read detailing world, doesn't mean you have experience. Fair enough some of the non traders and even the traders did this just, but they seem to have grasped it more than this one. (y)

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
hmmnnn.... i've seen up close and personal some of Ryans details, and the time, attention and effort he puts in to details really shows. his repeat business clearly shows that he must be doing something right too.

i'd love to know which ones you've seen that dont show this.... i thought i had done an ok-ish job on my own car until he was fit to show me defects that me 'rushing' through a job had left, and also gave me advice on how to fix the problems.

but i guess it's just your opinion Barry, and you're entitled to that.....

Rfg

RMS Regular
thats why I wouldn't want to post up more details because of jibes like that. being fun or serious its not worth it TBH if thats what people think.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I'll hold my hands up and say that I was initially opposed to the Car Care section but will happily admit it has taken off in a big way and is one of the more popular forum sections. I read it a lot myself now.

However, as with any popular forum section, it is being abused by a small minority.

I think a lot of Admin discretion is called for in this situation. There are a number of members posting in Car Care who DON'T contribute anything else to the forum and use that section only to tout for business. There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be paying for trade membership the same way as any other businesses on the site. As Big Pimp says above, if these people are making money through RMS but refusing to acknowledge that, it's time to either pay their dues or find another forum to advertise on.

A huge majority of the Car Care threads are also posted up by long time members who don't run a detailing business and simply wish to show off their work without 'advertising' as such - I personally have no problem with these and I doubt myself, Cooper or any of the other mods will be targeting these posts.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
it wouldn't matter Ronnie - if king of polishing Baz doesn't like your work, he'll tell everyone it seems...

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Posts deleted. Guys can we try and make an effort to keep this thread semi civilised??

Bass c

Banned
it wouldn't matter Ronnie - if king of polishing Baz doesn't like your work, he'll tell everyone it seems...

Maybe if you knew me better too, you'd think i was? We should be friends :heart::heart:

What about all the car traders? I'm not talking the ones that just sell their own cars. The proper dealers that appear alot in the classfieds? They should have to pay too

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.