Cherished Reg Query

Nigel AI 600

RMS Regular
Drives
EVO VII
Have a quick query here maybe someone could comment on. My son passed his test yesterday and we have done a deal to buy him a car of a local mechanic. My son turns 18 on Monday and we have purchased him a private plate which I would like to assign to car and have it sitting for him ready to go on his birthday. I would vaguely know the guy selling the car and he is happy for me to assign the plate now, then when he receives the new V5 we will transfer the ownership to my son.

My query is in regards to insurance and how quick the database will update allowing me to insure the car on the new plate. If I assign the cherished plate today/tomorrow will the insurance company see the plate on the car from Thursday allowing me to get a policy in place or will they still see the old plate and make things difficult to get it insured? I know this is not the way it should be done but just think it would be nice to give him the car on his birthday with the plate already on it.

Anyone any thoughts? The last thing I want to do is change the plates then not be able to get it insurance in place before Monday.

OriginalCJM

RMS Regular
Drives
T5 Camper
You'll be fine! You may have to give the old plate for comparison sites but then when going through the details, you can change the plate and it won't make a difference to the quote. It updates on the DVLA site within a few hours but up to a week or so for others that ask.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Even if they don't see it on the system, they can still insure the car for you by manually entering the details of the car with the new plate.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Tbh you’re best to buy the plate (and physical plates) and be in possession of the Plate certificate , then all your son has to do is a 2 minute change online to assign it…
I wouldn’t be changing plates before buying the car etc

Nigel AI 600

RMS Regular
OP
Nigel AI 600
Drives
EVO VII
Yeh I assumed I would be able to insure based on the model etc but just wasn't sure. The whole thing is more complicated by the fact we are going to our caravan for easter and we need to get temporary 1 day insurance to drive it down on Friday (he's not coming until Saturday, so will have it stashed away by time he arrives) as its a saving of £1300 insuring it from Monday on his 18th Birthday vs insuring it from Friday which is quite remarkable.
Tbh you’re best to buy the plate (and physical plates) and be in possession of the Plate certificate , then all your son has to do is a 2 minute change online to assign it…
I wouldn’t be changing plates before buying the car etc

Maybe I didn't explain to well, I am already in possession of physical plates and the plate certificate and can assign the plate online. It just means we have to wait for new V5 to arrive with seller then we will do the transfer of the car to him and the plate is back in my sons possession.

KevM

RMS Regular
The insurance is on the car chassis. The number plate is only really a quick search function. The record updates instantly so that won't really cause any problems

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
You and Sarah putting me to shame, Courtney's passed nearly a fortnight :monkey:

Nigel AI 600

RMS Regular
OP
Nigel AI 600
Drives
EVO VII
You and Sarah putting me to shame, Courtney's passed nearly a fortnight :monkey:

Don’t feel too ashamed you haven’t saw it yet 😂 It just worked out well, saw an advert for something local a few days before he did the test and kept a note of it. Nothing fancy as he’s heading away here in September and will only be home a few weeks for Xmas then not back again until next summer so didn’t make sense to tie up too much money in something that’s going to lie up 3/4 year potentially.

Hopefully be a nice surprise for him on Monday, he will however be slightly displeased it’s not the FD RX7 which he wants 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Mel