Classic mini cooper

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
So on the hunt for all sorts of random toys, looking at Westfield’s etc but having really thought about it I knew the option to use one is so limited and they seemed quite hard to sell on, so I parked that.

My motoring life started with classic minis. They were the first car that properly gripped me and I’ve built loads of them over the years.

The hunt was on for a really nice example, that already had most of the work done I wanted to do that just left me with finishing touches to put my own stamp on it.

So I flew to the south of England and picked up this.

Originally a 95 Mini Cooper it had a huge restoration back in 2014 and had been painted a colour scheme that I have always wanted to do a mini in! Clipper blue and old English white.

Already sitting on 6x10 inch minilites and the arches, mirrors etc that I would have done and likewise all the right brake and suspension upgrades too. The interior is really lovely and I’m not normally a fan of wood etc it really suits the theme of the car and I’ve no plans to change it.

402F30F3-F473-49B4-B736-9AF55F019AF1.png
2212C1DF-6A20-4145-BC77-02A70FBCAE47.png
40CD2D7D-0A5B-4F63-BEF0-7D46685DA673.png
A8880142-4C65-47A8-AC6C-821BC1121A2B.png

Some pics from the ad.

Had an amazing drive home in it, through the Cotswolds onto Caffeine and Machine for dinner then onto the Liverpool ferry.

40AB2698-64D0-477F-B3CC-BB3731938BC2.jpeg
6EC633D4-EC80-4667-AA17-A9819EC69A84.jpeg

I’ve booked it into a few shows so am enjoying having a car I can do that with again and make a few of my own little tweaks to.

I need to paint a few very small areas over winter but just enjoying it this year. Have been polishing away at it here and there in the evenings and hope I’ll have it finished up by the end of this week.

My first mod arrived today which was replacing the spot lamp covers for some old style Lucas ones.

483EE99C-3038-45C7-A0D0-065C52E70DF5.jpeg
372F69D1-9346-4D66-9F98-2FC0B0FB418B.jpeg

Future plans are mk2 rear lights, black and silver plates, a rear cage, 8bar grille and then just generally improving it cosmetically with any tarnished parts being replaced.

Minis are such a fun and unique driving experience. I’ll probably go down the route of tuning it over winter….

But I’ve also bought another mini that I’m picking up this weekend that dad will take on the runs and shows too so need to see what it needs too 🙈

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Class, it would suit a nice 70s local reg if you're going for the earlier rear lights without reversing lights.
Is it an spi one or does it still have a carb?

Last edited:

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
mad season 7 GIF

All I can think of when I picture you in a mini.

Looks great! It's a lovely colour scheme. I've never drove a Mini but I expect it would be great fun! Are 10" tyres easy to get a hold of?
Have you driven a go kart? It’s like that with a roof, but more fun. Feels like you’re flying at 40mph. They are absolutely tiny in modern terms.

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Love classic mini's & hope to have one some day. This one looks a great find. Lovely! 👌

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
Fantastic, I've been looking at Mini vans recently and I'm starting to feel that I need one (I'll work out why if I get one)

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Fantastic, I've been looking at Mini vans recently and I'm starting to feel that I need one (I'll work out why if I get one)

I had a minivan bought, deposit paid and the guy then sold it to someone else the ****. We were going to do some vintage livery on it and use it for taking wheels to get refurbed etc lol

DCCA46E9-18EF-49D0-AE9C-1A5ABFEFD08E.png

63100946-E948-4BDD-8B13-F0FA91838678.png

Would nearly have had a matching pair lol

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
I had a minivan bought, deposit paid and the guy then sold it to someone else the ****. We were going to do some vintage livery on it and use it for taking wheels to get refurbed etc lol
Exactly what I had in mind, keep looking though it would be a great promo vehicle for the business. My dad was a fork lift engineer before he retired, his first van was an 850cc Mini, how he carried parts and tools to work on trucks with one of those I've no idea

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Always loved a classic mini, my late gran had something mad like 14 mini’s. She changed every other year to the “in” colour 😂

KevM

RMS Regular
I love that.

They look so good with the small wheels & small tail lights & need to have a whiney gearbox!! Lol

😎

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Finally finished up machining it and ceramic coating it yesterday. Have a few parts on their way to replace work items.

For an old car that’s been repainted I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Found a few more little niggles I will paint over winter too. Constant ongoing battle with a mini lol

B1D093FA-4AFD-404B-A848-4070D248A8C6.jpeg
AB25077B-65D1-40CF-AC94-0CAE553D6245.jpeg
D60C4A2E-89CA-4773-9EA9-002834DE6D9C.jpeg
B10AB84E-F957-4EB0-90A8-BD3E4C163E70.jpeg

Still to tackle under bonnet and underneath too but will wait until our dry ice system is finally up and running shortly!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Very nice, will be fun in a very different way to your other cars.

My Dad would still like one of these like he had when he was young, something I can restore a bit to finish it off. But no budget for that for a while.

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Very nice, will be fun in a very different way to your other cars.

My Dad would still like one of these like he had when he was young, something I can restore a bit to finish it off. But no budget for that for a while.

It really is, it’s such an immersive driving experience but more so I have the confidence to tinker at a mini myself so I really enjoy that side of it too which is something I just can’t do with my other stuff.

davyk31

RMS Regular
That wee van that Ballintaggart have advertised would look good alongside that Mini.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Would look great with your company livery on though! Tax advantages as well of course as it’s a company use vehicle 😀