Cleaning engine after a fuel leak

A-ron

RMS Regular
Recently, my car had a split fuel hose which has plastered the whole of my engine in diesel.

The smell of diesel is strong when walking past the car and after driving the car I smell diesel on my person. I cant use the heater currently as the interior of the car smells like diesel fumes when I do.

How best to clean the engine bay and surrounding areas? Powerwasher? Degreaser?

Is there anywhere even in Belfast I could take the car to clean the engine bay?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
I’m thinking Bilt Hamber Surfex HD allowed to dwell / agitated and hosed off?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Engine de-greaser, fairly cheap by the gallon and is usually water rinsable.. Ideally brush some in etc, but it does just rinse off with water.
Probably best not to do it on a surface where diesel might stain....ie, go to a power wash somewhere lol not your own driveway.

But even a hose will rinse it off.

Some detergents might also be of use, but diesel just stinks.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I’ve used anachem lazer to clean up heating oil before. Sprayed on then brushed with more lazer in warm water then rinsed. If it’s soaked into carpet or foam sound deadening I don’t know how successful it will be on that though. I’ve only used it to clean hard plastic and painted metal.

A-ron

RMS Regular
OP
A-ron
Great suggestions - thanks.

If it’s soaked into carpet or foam sound deadening I don’t know how successful it will be on that though. I’ve only used it to clean hard plastic and painted metal.

Unfortunately, the bonnet soundproofing is saturated. Unsure whether to just remove it considering its cotton and probably nigh impossible to thoroughly clean?

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7

Unfortunately, the bonnet soundproofing is saturated. Unsure whether to just remove it considering its cotton and probably nigh impossible to thoroughly clean?

Bonnet soundproofing needs binned tbh.
Probably harbouring most of the smell!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I had a similar incident but with Oil, the cap decided to fail.

I used this stuff, 50/50 with water, agitated with a brush where I could. Then rinsed off.

Engine and bay has never been cleaner.

Just be careful of electrics.

Get a good long run on the motorway to get everything as hot as you can, to burn any of the manifold etc.

Soundproofing is probably not recoverable.

A-ron

RMS Regular
OP
A-ron
Thanks all for the help & suggestions.

Special thanks to @Big Pimp for his help, Lazer, and interior scents - worked a treat! I'll be back for more Anachem products in the near future...

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Bin it and buy a new one