Clio 200 Cup vs FN2 Type R - opinions please

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Looking some advice on these two cars (unfortunately not for me) and what you would choose.

Test drove them today, two very different types of hot hatch, one very basic and raw, the other seems more daily but power when needed. Looking peoples experiences and which they would choose.

Resale isnt a worry so not worried about depreciation and build quality isnt a major factor, its "last bit of fun, before children and a family wagon"

Thanks

Colin

MarcVtec

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Integra Ty
I'd go with the clio tbh (never thought I'd say that over a Honda) lol, Fn2's are far too refined and over assisted. They're crashy as hell in standard form also and don't handle anywhere near as well as the previous type Rs ek9/dc2 etc. Not a proper type R IMO. The clio on the other hand seem to be like a wee go-cart and go rightly also! Clio wins hands down looks wise also lol

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
OP
collyirwin11
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
I'd go with the clio tbh (never thought I'd say that over a Honda) lol, Fn2's are far too refined and over assisted. They're crashy as hell in standard form also and don't handle anywhere near as well as the previous type Rs ek9/dc2 etc. Not a proper type R IMO. The clio on the other hand seem to be like a wee go-cart and go rightly also! Clio wins hands down looks wise also lol

Thats the exact same as me, i fell in love with the clio today, it has those renault sport seats too, he was set on the civic but is now swaying toward the clio.

MarcVtec

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Integra Ty
Thats the exact same as me, i fell in love with the clio today, it has those renault sport seats too, he was set on the civic but is now swaying toward the clio.

Great minds think alike! Lol, Yeah nicer seats etc also is a bonus! Fn2's don't even have recaros they've them cheap looking type R seats,Muck! What colour is the wee clio?

smyth

RMS Regular
Drives
172 cup
I'd have the 200 cup. It's what I'll be looking at when I decided to upgrade!

corsacj

RMS Regular
fn2 really doesnt do much for me but in champ white with white wheels I think they are a stunning wagon, and I love the interiors. Overall though they are said to be a let down in the hot hatch departmen but what would I know! lol

On the flipside the clio I havent heard any bad reviews on at all, I would love one myself!

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Civic. its jap so its better. The electrics wont need rewired every six months and the engine is bullet proof.

Harry

RMS Regular
Drives
V8
Nah, but it'l prob need a steering rack, 2nd & 3rd gear syncro's & heap of ball joints instead. Several litres of oil also.

197 shape Clio doesn't suffer the stupid wiring insulation issues of the Megane's.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
OP
collyirwin11
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
If its a Clio near Bangor that you were looking at, it's a cracker

Thats the one, unfortunately not for me, i was just there as help with looking and offering impartial advice, bt ended up being biased. Haha.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
In all seriousness the Clio 197 is a great car (I drive a Clio 200 so I'm a tad bias here) but they do have issues. Be sure to check the gearbox as its a know weakness (they start to go by grinding into 4th gear). Also the belts need done at 5 years so check its been done as most 197 will be of the correct age to need it done. If it hasn't been done tell your mate to budget £600 min to get it done properly, most change the water pump at the same time as its been know to fail shortly after the belt being changed. There's a great buyers guide on www.Clio197.net if you need more info.

Harry

RMS Regular
Drives
V8
Worth noting full belt kit can be supplied and fitted for circa £240 at an independent on the Clio. Dealer wants £800-£1000. Its not a difficult job at all.

mi16chris

RMS Regular
Drives
210hp clio 182
Clio all day long , I've drive both and the Clio is much more fun , better looking and faster

jc7891

RMS Regular
clio all day long for me, the civics just aren't as fun I don't think, putting me in the mode for another 172/182

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Worth noting full belt kit can be supplied and fitted for circa £240 at an independent on the Clio. Dealer wants £800-£1000. Its not a difficult job at all.

Really. The full kit of parts is around £180 for genuine parts (cam kit and aux kit). Shelbourne charge £550 for the full kit excluding water pump.

Harry

RMS Regular
Drives
V8
Really.

Though I'm not including an auxiliary belt, if its in for a Cambelt kit why would you change that and its associated pulleys? Just Renault being ridiculous.

I replaced my whole Cambelt kit and water pump for £180ish, genuine Renault parts.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
2004 172 coming up for sale soon guys, just had belt, pump and aux belt changed... keep an eye on the classifieds :grinning:

it has ac and was a ******* lol got there in the end though.

conti belt kit
conti aux kit
waterpump
oil
filter

came to £141 with euro discount code

Harry

RMS Regular
Drives
V8
The 17/82's are a fair bit tighter and more awkward, honestly don't know what all the fuss/horrendous labour prices are about with regards to the 197/200 belts.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.