Clio MK3 heater/blower not working

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gaza_r

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus TDCI
That brainwave I had of driving a beater for a while to save money is working out great...

The blower motor has died, it's been playing up for about a month, but has now stopped working and was a total ballache this morning.

Phoned the mechanic I use and he said it was a job for an auto spark as the dash would have to come off.

Anyone recommend a garage around East Belfast that could fix it?

JackMO

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI
As of today, I think the heater in my Megane has kicked it too.

It still produces ‘heat’ as such, but there’s no blower. Worked on settings 1,2 and 3 only for a year. Then got in one day and not a kick on any setting untill you hit it a good thump and on it went. The power of the fan has been getting less and less as time has gone on, and its been getting very rattley. But alas, it’s kicked it today.

Any similar to what yours is doing @Gaza_r ? I think mine could be wiring, resistor pack or else the blower motor has just packed up upon a brief look online.

Gaza_r

RMS Regular
OP
Gaza_r
Drives
Focus TDCI
Yeah exactly the same as mine. If I hit the dashboard around the passenger footwell it comes back on.

Did some reading up on owners forums lastnight and it's a common fault with Renault's and Nissan's. Some of the pins on blowers power plug get burnt causing a lose connection.

I phoned Clifton Motors and he suggested I try cleaning the plugs with WD40 Connection Cleaner. If that doesn't work it'll need a new plug crimped on (this was Renaults solution when repairing under warranty) they're selling on eBay for around £15

Seems the pollen filter restricts cold air flow causing the whole unit to overheat, he recommended removing it.

JackMO

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI
Yeah exactly the same as mine. If I hit the dashboard around the passenger footwell it comes back on.

Did some reading up on owners forums lastnight and it's a common fault with Renault's and Nissan's. Some of the pins on blowers power plug get burnt causing a lose connection.

I phoned Clifton Motors and he suggested I try cleaning the plugs with WD40 Connection Cleaner. If that doesn't work it'll need a new plug crimped on (this was Renaults solution when repairing under warranty) they're selling on eBay for around £15

Seems the pollen filter restricts cold air flow causing the whole unit to overheat, he recommended removing it.

Exactly like mine. If i hit it in the passengers footwell it’ll fire up. But the blower is seriously under powered a rattley if I get t to fire up.

Ive had the glove box out, that’s what you need to get at the relays and the blower motor- its a 5 min job to take out. I took the replay boxes out, but will have a spray of wd40 and see.

whyme?

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk IV Golf

AFAIK Renault still sell the repair looms for them. They aren't hard to fit but would recommend changing the resistor as well as the pins on it have likely melted too

Gaza_r

RMS Regular
OP
Gaza_r
Drives
Focus TDCI
Exactly like mine. If i hit it in the passengers footwell it’ll fire up. But the blower is seriously under powered a rattley if I get t to fire up.

Yeah mine rattles on 1&2 and I thought the blower was knackered, but the mechanic said it'll rattle because it isn't getting enough power and was certain it's either the plug or resistor.

Gaza_r

RMS Regular
OP
Gaza_r
Drives
Focus TDCI
AFAIK Renault still sell the repair looms for them. They aren't hard to fit but would recommend changing the resistor as well as the pins on it have likely melted too

Great, I'll replace both if it comes to it and if I can get Genuine parts then even better.

JackMO

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI
I went into it and pulled these out. Apparently relays, but they appear ok. Could these have an effect? They aren’t what I’m looking for going by the link you posted.

@Gaza_r

No blower is no fun in this weather.
C490497E-8E30-4390-BF20-3C249CBBB479.jpeg

7B16CCDA-8754-459D-B823-A2D5D2EC239C.jpeg

Gaza_r

RMS Regular
OP
Gaza_r
Drives
Focus TDCI
The resistor that's prone to failure is in the blower housing.

Check out this video from 5 min 50 seconds to see where it's located.

Gaza_r

RMS Regular
OP
Gaza_r
Drives
Focus TDCI
Was going to remove the glove box today and check the plug but had to clear the drains under the scuttle panel as it was full of water after snowing.

Had to remove the wheels and arch liners to get access... because Renault.

JackMO

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI
The resistor that's prone to failure is in the blower housing.

Check out this video from 5 min 50 seconds to see where it's located.

Dead on. Right i’ll have to get in for another poke around. Is that resistor pack a plug out and plug in the new part deal?

Gaza_r

RMS Regular
OP
Gaza_r
Drives
Focus TDCI
Removed the glovebox and cleaned all the connectors on Saturday, it worked perfectly until this morning.

The plug needs replaced, but I'll get Clifton Motors to sort it. He can supply the plug, resistor and only charge an hour's labour for fitting.

JackMO

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI
Removed the glovebox and cleaned all the connectors on Saturday, it worked perfectly until this morning.

The plug needs replaced, but I'll get Clifton Motors to sort it. He can supply the plug, resistor and only charge an hour's labour for fitting.

Is this the thing? I had a poke around, but i’m at a bit of a loose end- don’t really know what to do much further.
35542DB5-BF3A-45C7-97ED-1FE5BEAFF11B.jpeg

Gaza_r

RMS Regular
OP
Gaza_r
Drives
Focus TDCI
Is this the thing? I had a poke around, but i’m at a bit of a loose end- don’t really know what to do much further.
View attachment 223520

Yeah that's it.

Asked the Renault Owners Forum for advice.

They suggested cleaning all the metal contacts and those on the resistor with Normfest Electrical Contact Cleaner.

Will get some over the weekend and try again. Failing that I'll just replace the plug myself.

I'm tired throwing money at the car to be honest, it's starting to become a money pit.

JackMO

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI
Ordered a new resistor and plug for £8. Popped it in, which took me 5 minutes, and away she went. Job done :cool:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.