converting estate to a van

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

cool_kit

RMS Regular
Drives
vectra B gsi
hi never done this before am considering converting an estate 5 door into a van ( astravan)

can this be done legally who to.be informed etc and what paperwork would you need to change on log book etc

thanks for any help

cool_kit

RMS Regular
OP
cool_kit
Drives
vectra B gsi
To answer your question you need to do nothing. Its still a private vehicle.

Windows out, weld in your 1>2mm sheet & off you go.
hi thanks however will become a 3 door tho as it' 5 door is it just a case of notifying dvla it' changed to a 3 door etc ?? unsure what to do I love the car and have kids but need a commercial vechicle too and don' want 2 on the road Astra estate great but going to jobs looking out of place and need the sign writing etc

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
hi thanks however will become a 3 door tho as it' 5 door is it just a case of notifying dvla it' changed to a 3 door etc ?? unsure what to do I love the car and have kids but need a commercial vechicle too and don' want 2 on the road Astra estate great but going to jobs looking out of place and need the sign writing etc

Apologies I didn't think you'd be going to the hassle of welding & filling in door jams, door handles etc. In that case I would imagine you would need to inform DVLA then climb into the boot on all 4s every time you need something.

cool_kit

RMS Regular
OP
cool_kit
Drives
vectra B gsi
Apologies I didn't think you'd be going to the hassle of welding & filling in door jams, door handles etc. In that case I would imagine you would need to inform DVLA then climb into the boot on all 4s every time you need something.
wont be carting a lot in boot and roof rack etc for ladder . more a commercial look for sites and sign writing without looking like a jack of all trades lol

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Why would you want the hassle of PSV and all that ballix if it was possible, which i doubt it is

cool_kit

RMS Regular
OP
cool_kit
Drives
vectra B gsi
So.. are you keeping the rear seat bench in for the kids but welding up the rear doors?

yes and install 3 door seats that go forward for kids to jump in etc... sounds crazy but I cant afford a car and a van on road tax insurance and fuel both etc so in a bit of a sticky point... hard to get crew vans not too large too or that would have been my option.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
yes and install 3 door seats that go forward for kids to jump in etc... sounds crazy but I cant afford a car and a van on road tax insurance and fuel both etc so in a bit of a sticky point... hard to get crew vans not too large too or that would have been my option.

I understand. I'd still just weld in sheet where the rear glass used to be & tear on.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Doors on a 3 door variant are much longer to accommodate rear seat access with the B pillars being further back too.

A Transit Connect or similar or else a cheap van the Transit/Transporter/Vito sized variant can be hand for around £5/600 and rear seats added with much less hassle physically, financially and legally to suit the kids.

What you’ll spend “converting” the Astra estate to a van while retaining the 5 seats and remaining practical would offset the cost of changing to a cheap van by a long stretch, and the van would look like a much more suitable vehicle if you’re working on sites or the likes.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
FB_IMG_1479681634957.jpg

I'm thinking of selling this

cool_kit

RMS Regular
OP
cool_kit
Drives
vectra B gsi
As it sits with all the mods about 4k. 270bhp, 3 grands worth of audio gear, wheels are as new etc. I can strip bits to make it cheaper.
sounds good but at present iam trying to sell my 888 estate so 4k crazy money at moment

cool_kit

RMS Regular
OP
cool_kit
Drives
vectra B gsi
As it sits with all the mods about 4k. 270bhp, 3 grands worth of audio gear, wheels are as new etc. I can strip bits to make it cheaper.
I dont' need audio gear dont' need alloys I have exact same alloys lying in garage ....

what you taking cheaper without all that ...i can get a mk5 for 900 quid and throw all my Sri XP and 888 gear into it and make it a 4k van llf

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Most of the expensive bits on my van are engine bits.

Airtec front mount, custom spec hybrid turbo, full exhaust system, bigger injectors, intake, fuel pump etc

Theres alot more to it that an XP kit and a remap like a 888 lol

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
I dont' need audio gear dont' need alloys I have exact same alloys lying in garage ....

what you taking cheaper without all that ...i can get a mk5 for 900 quid and throw all my Sri XP and 888 gear into it and make it a 4k van llf
A mk5 at 270hp for £900?
Be a minter I bet

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.