converting estate to a van

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

cool_kit

RMS Regular
OP
cool_kit
Drives
vectra B gsi
Most of the expensive bits on my van are engine bits.

Airtec front mount, custom spec hybrid turbo, full exhaust system, bigger injectors, intake, fuel pump etc

Theres alot more to it that an XP kit and a remap like a 888 lol
am not just a remap ave keyless entry start vxr clocks.. 888 suspension. 4 pot brakes plenty of spec and power ..your van sounds great may be too great to be used as a work van though too... I prefares mine to be converted but think am gonna opt for a standard van and mod it slightly external putting mine back to standard and sell on as standard with 200bhp tho lol

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I dont' need audio gear dont' need alloys I have exact same alloys lying in garage ....

what you taking cheaper without all that ...i can get a mk5 for 900 quid and throw all my Sri XP and 888 gear into it and make it a 4k van llf
If I were you I’d just buy a mk5 for £900

@big_pete’s van is a superb motor but to start to strip it to make it suit a budget just won’t work.

I dread to think about what an unsafe mess you’d construct from your motor above turning it into a 3 door if you don’t want to spend money on a van.

If you could want to make your motor more van like you could get the side windows and read window wrapped with the micro dotted type of window graphics.

cool_kit

RMS Regular
OP
cool_kit
Drives
vectra B gsi
If I were you I’d just buy a mk5 for £900

@big_pete’s van is a superb motor but to start to strip it to make it suit a budget just won’t work.

Just
I dread to think about what an unsafe mess you’d construct from your motor above turning it into a 3 door if you don’t want to spend money on a van.

If you could want to make your motor more van like you could get the side windows and read window wrapped with the micro dotted type of window graphics.
Just gonna sell estate on get a decent transit or something

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
yes and install 3 door seats that go forward for kids to jump in etc... sounds crazy but I cant afford a car and a van on road tax insurance and fuel both etc so in a bit of a sticky point... hard to get crew vans not too large too or that would have been my option.

crazy doesnt come even remotely close.

And the Astra because you call it a van isnt suddenly going to have more room than the estate which is the exact same size.

Exactly what do you need to carry ?

cool_kit

RMS Regular
OP
cool_kit
Drives
vectra B gsi
I used a Transit as an example, but it was more in relation to its size.

They never actually made a “decent Transit”... :joy:

nice quote I owned a transit for 6 years previously without having to spend a penny on it mechanically ... so yeah I'd say decent

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
This doesn't seem like a great idea. 'Proper' 3 door cars have longer doors to accommodate access to the rear. While installing tilt and slide driver and passenger doors would work, your access to the rear will still be poor at best and you risk damaging the seats with weeuns clambering over them. From a parental perspective the safety element of limiting access to and from the rear seats in an emergency worries me more.
Why not do as previously suggested? Dot wrap the B to C pillar windows in your chosen colour (minibus at my boys nursery has this done - looks well from outside and kids can still see out). Then you can 'black' out or plate C to D pillars for sign writing etc.
Does that not seem more logical than spending money on seats, welding etc? Plus that Astra could look well liveried up.

colin84

RMS Regular
4.jpg

Not just go for something like this? And white vinyl the rear windows/pillars as required.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
An Astra mark 5 van has exactly the same doors as a 5 door estate, and the van floor is more or less identical to the estate with the seats folded flat.
For your requirements the best thing to do is vinyl on the side widows, then you still have doors and seats for kids when required. Madness filling in panels, another van would be cheaper than the painting of the sides.

martybelfastsri

RMS Regular
Drives
all sorts
there is car derived vans available from factory solves all these problems i jave an 04 berlingo multispace couldnt live without it about to upgrade it to somthing 10 to 13 reg hopfully but such a handy wee thing to have ....mot rather than psv ect ect there is a lot of manufacture versions similar too

Attachments

• 20180308_075349.jpg
    20180308_075349.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 112

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
I’ll give ya £950 for the 888 with the Pro Race alloys and you can by yourself a wee transit.

cool_kit

RMS Regular
OP
cool_kit
Drives
vectra B gsi
I’ll give ya £950 for the 888 with the Pro Race alloys and you can by yourself a wee transit.

the 888 is now standard exterior still 200bhp will be looking 1k for the car as am turning a Astra mk5 van now into a sportive

cool_kit

RMS Regular
OP
cool_kit
Drives
vectra B gsi

and by helps bells wud it ever have been 950 with its spec way it was .... car now looks like a sleeper

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
@cool_kit Sounds like you'd be safer off with a crew cab van of some sort.

I used a Transit as an example, but it was more in relation to its size.

They never actually made a “decent Transit”... :joy:

oi, yer man with the hair would argue that point, whatshisname the motorbike guy. Yes, Guy Martin........ to be fair my dad has one, 12 years old I think, less than 40k on it. Genuinely. Mot man never believes him.......

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.