cooking oil!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

nomis

RMS Regular
Drives
little blue mazd
looking into converting the vento onto running on a mix or cooking oil and diesel try to save some money at the pumps.

any one tried this before or know anything about the efects on the performance ?

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
i think mark c did this. afaik theres no real converting to be done. i read on hte audi 80 forums they run 80% or and 20% diesel in the summer and some run 100% oil

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
pm thefoolmccool off the site

he ran his golf tdi mk3 on cooking oil

said it smelt like a chip van :confounded:

nomis

RMS Regular
OP
nomis
Drives
little blue mazd
just read an articale on this sayin the older vw diesel engines dont need converting for this. so im thinking of just buying some new cleen oil to test this and mix it 50/50 with diesel to see how it goes shall have it smelling like a chip van for the rms meet this weekend:grinning:

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
also read its better to run used cooking oil (i.e. from chippys) but i duno why. it would also need to be run through a sieve obviously. try buying in bulk from makro

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
They will smell you before seeing you!

19p a litre though is very tempting!

nomis

RMS Regular
OP
nomis
Drives
little blue mazd
lol i wud get no value out of it if i had to rive that far for it lol shal get some used stuf from work tomorrow and try to make some bio diesel:confounded: for the weekend:grinning:

ally_mac

RMS Regular
Drives
05 Evo IX GT
My mate used to run his 205 on cooking oil, into Lidl every week for £15 of cooking oil. Would last him all week, although it did smell a bit but that didnt bother him as he was saving a fortune.

As said I believe the older diesel engine are able to run on the stuff without any mods

big cyril

RMS Regular
They will smell you before seeing you!

19p a litre though is very tempting!

Where can you get it for 19p / litre?
Cheapest new oil seems to be Tesco at 56p /litre but it comes in 1l bottles which is a pain.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Ive just swapped pumps on my 306 to be able to do this....
No way you would get it at 19p/l more like 70 odd p/l.....still a good saving.
Im doing it more out of curiousity than anything....

PhilG

RMS Regular
Depends what fuel pump you have. Do they run a bosch VE type? If so you should have no bother with the cooking oil. If they use a lucas she'll **** her pants at some stage.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
There are a few websites dedicated to this that will be able to tell you whether or not you can run it or not.
Check google to find them....

Most older vw's run the bosch ve which can run veggy oil so id say you would be grand.
Check what make your pump is if you can.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Casper - check tdiforums for a few threads on veg oil and the newer vw engines, cant actually remember the outcome but it was definitely debated at length...

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I just put a random price in - maybe is was when my mate was doing it it was 19p/L - sorry :worried:

robert106

RMS Regular
Drives
172 clio
www.dieselveg.com very interesting site , apparently any diesel can be converted.
interesting piece about rudolf diesel and his untimely death, shortly after which his engines were used to burn diesel oil as we know it rather than the peanut oil that he originally designed the engine around. coincidence or was he knocked off by shell? :p

Gman

RMS Regular
Drives
Octavia and E39
Yes its legal. You can do something like 20 odd thousand miles before having to pay duty on it.

I was looking into this before. From what I read, its not safe to use on newer PD engines. Its far too viscous (even when heated) for the injectors and damages them.

I also read that using it on any engine that the engine oil needs changed more often. This is because some of the veg oil may/won't be burnt off and may wash past the piston rings into the sump - emulsifying the engine oil.

Think you can also turn veg oil into biodiesel making it a bit safer. Haven't read up on that yet though. I may end up buying a cheap derv and doing this for commuting.

ryan486

RMS Regular
thats class. I was told about it but didnt think it was that simple. it just geting the oil into the car i suppose might be a bit messy!

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
the mate ran his citroen ZX on it, she was a 1.9 NA derv and he ran 50/50 ish but in the colder weather she was V V hard to start so sticks to derv only in the winter but will prob be back on the cooking oil for summer

nomis

RMS Regular
OP
nomis
Drives
little blue mazd
thanks for all the info shal hopefully be smelling like a chippy for the weekend.
anto 306 i may be in contact with you in the future to find out more about the mods you made to run your 306 on the veg oil. may convert mine if all goes well with the vento(y)

Daisy

RMS Regular
My mate used to run his 205 on cooking oil, into Lidl every week for £15 of cooking oil. Would last him all week, although it did smell a bit but that didnt bother him as he was saving a fortune.

As said I believe the older diesel engine are able to run on the stuff without any mods

I remember that smell indeed, not nice.....

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.