cooking oil!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Are you using new or fresh oil? I didn't even bother filtering the fresh stuff but used oil would need filtered really really well.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Rapeseed oil is also thinner so easier to use on a richer mix as opposed to ordinary veg oil.....however downside is its dearer....

nomis

RMS Regular
OP
nomis
Drives
little blue mazd
Are you using new or fresh oil? I didn't even bother filtering the fresh stuff but used oil would need filtered really really well.

im using waste oil from a local chippy , im hoping the filters ive used are good enough. ill change the filter in the car after a few tanks and see how it goes

gixerboy

RMS Regular
Drives
2.4JTD, Mille R
dunt no wot its filtered to it was some kinda filter cloth that i got of the net in a kit form along with an information booklet on running a car on veg oil so i hope it was fine enough:grinning:
What you are using is ideal as a pre-filter to remove most of the crud a pillow case also works very well.

Pre-filtered WVO (waste veg oil) Requires heating then left to settle to separate any water etc which will fall to the bottom.

For heating use a modified 25lt steel drum with a drain tap 3 inches from the bottom & a non copper immersion heater, heat oil to 60 for 1 hour then leave to cool.
The oil being less dense will separate when cooled & the heat makes the oil less able to grab the water and hold it in suspension speeding up the process that could take days / weeks to happen naturally.

Then after a few hours off cooling drain the clean WVO & filter in stages through 20, 10 & 5 micron filters.

Standard fuel filters are 10-15 microns.

A micron is 1-millionth of a meter or 0.001 mm
or 39-millionths of an inch or 0.000039"

For comparison, a grain of salt is about 70 microns across and a human hair between 50 and 100 microns
The smallest particle visible to the naked eye is about 40 microns.

Hope this helps...;)

nomis

RMS Regular
OP
nomis
Drives
little blue mazd
yea very helpful was told before that the heeting was very importhant im using an old water boiler (one of those big chrome tubs that they have in village halls for making tea lol) with two valves on it i bout 4 inches up and one at the bottom, have only been heating for 30 minuites as i was told will try for 1 hour later today to see if i get different results
cheers

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
Pre-filtered WVO (waste veg oil) Requires heating then left to settle to separate any water etc which will fall to the bottom.

x2, need filtered to about 5 microns too.

i just bought a sdi polo last week, now the tank has went down to half im about to top it back up with clean oil i bought in dunnes, shud be alright shouldnt it? bosch pump anyway on these cars i think.

PhilG

RMS Regular
For anyone thnking about running the veg oil in the winter i was reading on another forum about heating it.

There is a product available in mothercare and the likes for heating a babies bottle by wrapping it in a 'tea-cosy' type thing. There is a portable version available that runs of your cars 12v cigarette lighter. So, you can tap this into your 12v ignition live from your heater plugs, and wrap this 'cosy' round your fuel filter.
Better than nothing and will only cost a few pound.

edit:
Heres an example, made by babytec and bought off ebay for £4

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Babytec-Car-B...ryZ20404QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

b00715ee.jpg

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
very interesting - whats are the emissions like with running on a diesel/oil mix? is it dirty/smoky. just curious as to whether its worse than regular diesel.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
For anyone thnking about running the veg oil in the winter i was reading on another forum about heating it.

There is a product available in mothercare and the likes for heating a babies bottle by wrapping it in a 'tea-cosy' type thing. There is a portable version available that runs of your cars 12v cigarette lighter. So, you can tap this into your 12v ignition live from your heater plugs, and wrap this 'cosy' round your fuel filter.
Better than nothing and will only cost a few pound.

edit:
Heres an example, made by babytec and bought off ebay for £4

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Babytec-Car-B...ryZ20404QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

b00715ee.jpg

A lot of cars that will be converted have a heated fuel filter already though

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.