Corsa DTi Problem

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
I fear the corsa has a problem!!
There is a bad knocking noise coming from the steering when i go over cobbles or bumpy/stoney roads. At first i thought it was track rod end, but then the Vauxhall guy tells me it could be something in the rack. The car has only done 30k and i doubt if the rack has worn already!! It makes the noise if the steering is turned when stationary. Is there any way that i can tell whether it is the rack or the track rod ends? Dont want to be shelling out big dough for something it might not be. Any help appreciated!!

Cheers

Mark

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
my wifes old dti corsa had to have the rack replaced under waranty at around 12k,and they were on backorder for 4 months so it must be a pretty comon problem i afraid

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Mates Astra had the same problem a few weeks ago, and it turned out to be the rack as well! Not looking good for you either!!

106lad

RMS Regular
OP
106lad
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
AIRFORCE1 said:
my wifes old dti corsa had to have the rack replaced under waranty at around 12k,and they were on backorder for 4 months so it must be a pretty comon problem i afraid

how do i get it replaced under warranty, i went to see him, and he said cos it didnt have a vauxhall service history hed have to make calls to vauxhall to see if it could be done? but surely the sericing doesnt affect problems like that?

How long does it take to change? ie in the garage outta the garage time?8o| :imp:

106lad

RMS Regular
OP
106lad
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
amg306 said:
Mates Astra had the same problem a few weeks ago, and it turned out to be the rack as well! Not looking good for you either!!

what did he do?

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
Big problem with the Corsa C, the steering rack.

If it's under warranty, then happy days. Otherwise it's about £350 for parts alone.

106lad

RMS Regular
OP
106lad
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
ZS said:
Big problem with the Corsa C, the steering rack.

If it's under warranty, then happy days. Otherwise it's about £350 for parts alone.

there warranty til April but they are saying that it might not be covered as it doesnt have a full Vauxhall Service History. What do i do??:sob:

Marc

RMS Moderator
speak to vauxhall customer services, explain to them that when car is in for service they do not service the steering rack, and they may pay say 2/3rd's of the cost, leaving you to pay the other £100 or so :grinning:

although.. does it have a history with another vat registered garage? if so and they have been using genuine vaux parts then they cannot refuse the warranty work due to some eu legislation

106lad

RMS Regular
OP
106lad
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
Marc said:
speak to vauxhall customer services, explain to them that when car is in for service they do not service the steering rack, and they may pay say 2/3rd's of the cost, leaving you to pay the other £100 or so :grinning:

although.. does it have a history with another vat registered garage? if so and they have been using genuine vaux parts then they cannot refuse the warranty work due to some eu legislation

wel there is a stamp in the service book so its not a dodgy bloke doing it front his garden!!

just spoke to them and he said he would have to call vauxhall direct and get details from them, so nothing new there. How long does the whole job take? couple o hours i would say at the least.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
106lad said:
what did he do?

Well his was a 98 one with 80k miles on it, plus it's an Opel so no chance of any warrenty work there! He bought a reconditioned rack (I think it was £350, but don't quote me) and got it fitted.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Was just talking to him there, it's 350 Euro (roughly £250) for the rack, and was about £120 to fit it.

106lad

RMS Regular
OP
106lad
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
how long does the job take? Why are steering racks so expensive?

Marc

RMS Moderator
looks like a 3 - 4 hour job from the cost of labour.

if you want vaux to fit your prob talking £200+

and as to why the steering racks are so expensive.. thats a silly question ^o)
106lad said:
how long does the job take? Why are steering racks so expensive?

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
He was saying the dashboard has to come out, so an awkward job. He could have bought a second hand one cheaper, but thought he may as well do it right to prolong it for the next time!!!! Vauxhall were looking £550 for the rack alone.

106lad

RMS Regular
OP
106lad
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
Marc said:
thats a silly question ^o)

never had to deal with a rack before.

no odds, the dash has been out of mine before!! lol

if vaux are not going to cover it on warranty i know what ill do!!!

AUTOTRADER!!! lolol:p

but seriously whats the best route to take for this matter

Marc

RMS Moderator
call breakers, see if they have any about them, get it from them, and either fit it yourself, or take it to a local mechanic to do it, none of these £50 + vat labour rates from the dealerships

106lad

RMS Regular
OP
106lad
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
Marc said:
call breakers, see if they have any about them, get it from them, and either fit it yourself, or take it to a local mechanic to do it, none of these £50 + vat labour rates from the dealerships

Well i need to see if Vaux are going to fit it under the warranty, or if not, thats the route im going to take, as much as i know about cars i know **** all about steering racks!! thats why im asking all these questions, engines, bodywork all that caper, no problem, steering racks, whooosh way over my head, cheers for the help Marc, may be getting back to u to let u know what is happening

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Marc said:
call breakers, see if they have any about them, get it from them,

The danger of getting one from a breakers is that the rack might be no better than the one coming out of the car as it's a common problem on the Corsas and Astras apparantely, thats why my mate went for a recon one.......

106lad

RMS Regular
OP
106lad
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
amg306 said:
The danger of getting one from a breakers is that the rack might be no better than the one coming out of the car as it's a common problem on the Corsas and Astras apparantely, thats why my mate went for a recon one.......

yeah exactly, and the breaker i have beside me is eddie torrens, everything is 100% working order with him!!

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
Problem with the Corsa C racks is they're the first electronic racks Vauxhall used. There's a wee electric motor on the rack itself. But, half times it buggers up, and then the rack dies. Most common fault is the power steering working to the left but not working to the right.

Getting a rack from a breakers is a bad plan, as it'll most likely be the same unit, and it'll fail again. Mine died at 10,000 miles. The rack they fitted was a different unit, which doesn't suffer the same problem.

As for warranty, as long as it's been serviced as per schedule, then you're fine. Warranty is 3 years or 60k on the Corsa.

amg306: Astras have a totally different steering rack - it's a hydraulic rack run by an electric pump, quite a bit different to the Corsa one.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
ZS said:
amg306: Astras have a totally different steering rack - it's a hydraulic rack run by an electric pump, quite a bit different to the Corsa one.

Well I'm only going by what the my mate has been told, that the racks in Corsas and Astras give a lot of bother!(y)

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
amg306 said:
Well I'm only going by what the my mate has been told, that the racks in Corsas and Astras give a lot of bother!(y)

Aye, well tell your mate the facts next time you're talking to him. Corsas are crap**** things for the rack going. Astras not so much, only know of the one that gave bother, and that was driven by a woman - and you know what way they park. ;)

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
if you have a VAT registered mechanics service history BY LAW a dealer has to stand over the warrenty if it's still within the period and if they argue this mention solicitors but i am nearly sure thats the craic with the servicing and warrenty (my megane was never serviced in reno after teh 1st 2 (when bro owned it) and i had it done twice by a mate in his work and had a lot of engine warrenty work done and they didn't even question the servicing)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.