Crow555's Integra Type R DC5

AndyG

RMS Regular
Looks great! Would near put me in the mood to drive mine but the battery’s been dead for a couple of months and I can’t get it open lol

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
Nice work. If I were you I’d get a correct size plate that will fit into the plate holder.

In terms of springs. I’d go with the Eibach ones they’re more comfortable than the spoon springs.

For the headlights tbh you’re better buying a new set. They’re about (or were a few years ago) 350 for a genuine new set from Honda. You just swap the ballasts and bulbs over.

You need to take the front bumper off but don’t be deterred by this. I was able to get the bumper off in less than 5 mins and I’m a spanner when it comes to that kind of stuff. Lol.

Also consider changing your Power steering fluid. Really easy to do and for me made the steering feel more smooth if you’re wanting it to be as close to how to felt when it left the factory

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Nice work. If I were you I’d get a correct size plate that will fit into the plate holder.

In terms of springs. I’d go with the Eibach ones they’re more comfortable than the spoon springs.

For the headlights tbh you’re better buying a new set. They’re about (or were a few years ago) 350 for a genuine new set from Honda. You just swap the ballasts and bulbs over.

You need to take the front bumper off but don’t be deterred by this. I was able to get the bumper off in less than 5 mins and I’m a spanner when it comes to that kind of stuff. Lol.

Also consider changing your Power steering fluid. Really easy to do and for me made the steering feel more smooth if you’re wanting it to be as close to how to felt when it left the factory

Good shout... £400 on eBay!

Genuine Honda Integra Type R DC5 OEM HID Replacement Pair of Head Lights | eBay

Crow555

RMS Regular
OP
Crow555
Drives
Integra DC5R
Tegiwa couldn't send me the right badge for the front of the Integra so I will wait until they get that right before ordering anything else from them. :joy:

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
Tegiwa couldn't send me the right badge for the front of the Integra so I will wait until they get that right before ordering anything else from them. :joy:

Tbf I’ve ordered loads of stuff from them and it’s been spot on. Their replica toda manifold is exceptional quality (or was 4 years ago)

ciarandeery1

RMS Regular
Drives
205 gti
I bought new headlights from somewhere in uk when I had mine. Hendys I think it was, great service to

Crow555

RMS Regular
OP
Crow555
Drives
Integra DC5R
So it's been a while since the last update. You'll all remember I complained the ride was very harsh and the clutch made driving in slow moving traffic and around town just horrible. Having gotten some money for Christmas, I got a OEM clutch from a Honda parts supplier in Scotland (via eBay) and some Eibach springs, camber arms and bolts from Torque GT.
IMG-20180202-WA0000.jpeg

IMG_20180202_141842.jpg

(The cat was probably more excited than me about this delivery)

When the car was last in with Jonny at AI Autosport, he noted the front bushes on the control arms were a bit worn so a pair of those were ordered also.

The car then went to Jonny with the parts in the boot last week. As per usual, he didn't hang about fitting the parts. Curious to know what made the clutch so heavy, I asked Jonny what it was. I then got this sent back to me via WhatsApp...

IMG-20180212-WA0005.jpg

.. along with some colourful language. Some point in its life, my DC5 had a Exedy 3 paddle clutch fitted. Awful, awful piece of crap.

Anyway, clutch is now lighter and easier to live with.

Next up, alignment. On the recommendation from @Neil_M (and Jonny), I got in touch with @Neil Kirkpatrick who looked over it this past Saturday. He's a busy man and I appreciate his help in setting up the car. He also noted some uneven wear in the tires so a new set will be fitted in the future at some point. Not only does the car now ride better, it feels more direct and predictable than before. Here is a shot with the springs fitted (excuse the dirt).
IMG-20180224-WA0000.jpeg

If anything I suspect it has risen the ride height a bit, as the RS-R springs had quite a drop in them.

In terms of next on the agenda, the headlights are probably high on the list. However, when last putting the car in the garage, it rolled into the cabinets at the end. I suspected there was no damage but noticed a bit of paint on the bumper had flaked so a front end respray might be in order. :monkey:

Other than little cosmetic bits and the tires, the car is perfectly ready to be enjoyed.

Just wish the weather would sort itself out now... : unamused:

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
I need to get a run out in this Dave. I’m sure it’s some difference with the OEM clutch fitted over the exedy. We will have to arrange a few pictures of this with the Prelude in the summer :cool:

Lee

RMS Regular
Nice work and hard to beat the timeless design of a DC5. My Impreza had the same clutch in it when I got it, total nightmare in anything other than full balls out mode. They must be fond of them in Japan.

AndyG

RMS Regular
I’m sure it was horrible with that clutch!

It’s amazing the difference a decent alignment set up makes to these cars, best thing Ive done was get mine set up properly by Streetracer

Crow555

RMS Regular
OP
Crow555
Drives
Integra DC5R
Apologies for the radio silence of late. Work has been very demanding of late so I can't really spend much (or any) time on RMS recently. Thankfully a dodgy domain controller is preventing my ability to work at the moment so I figured, I would update this thread.

(This next section is dedicate to @silver_bullet as he likes a nice clean wheel) :p

As you can see above, the DC5's wheels are a bit grubby looking. When one of the neighbours said he saw a car like mine, only it had white wheels instead, I knew something needed to be done.

I enquired around and got a price from Cobra Customs near Kells. While the car was garaged, I put it up on stands and took the wheels to them. This is the state of them before I left...

DSC_0195.JPG
DSC_0196.JPG
DSC_0197.JPG
DSC_0198.JPG

As you can see the decals looked very sorry for themselves, there was ground-in dirt in the bolt holes and on the inside of the wheels and various poorly touched in scratches. I had also gotten some decals from ebay that were close enough to the originals.

IMG-20180421-WA0003.jpeg

IMG-20180421-WA0000.jpeg

And this is what I got back. The decals were applied before lamination so with any luck, no more flaking. I also gave the wheels a few very generous coatings of Poorboy's wheel sealant. Next bit was to put the wheels back on the car...

DSC_0206.JPG

DSC_0208.JPG

DSC_0207.JPG

Too say I'm pleased with the results in an understatement. Cobra Customs did a fantastic job (bar a mixup with the centre caps) and I would not hesitate to use them again. In fact, I am probably going to get Mrs Crow's MX5 wheels refurbed by them.

I did then acquire a Sony double-din stereo in a sale but I've yet to fit it. I just know there is a potential headache of connectors and adaptors involved there so I'm putting that off until muggier weather. I also was offered a parcel shelf (thanks @nobby !!) which as any DC5 owner will know is rare as it was an optional item originally. Sadly, I clean forgot to get any pictures of it fitted. : unamused:

As some will remember from reading earlier, I had mentioned that the paint on the front bumper was aged and cracked. Also the front splitter had it's fair share of chip marks so I visited Blairs in Doagh and they said they could repaint it. Booked it in and a week later...

DSC_0219.JPG

They were also able to polish and relacquer the headlights which really took away from the look of the car. (Continued in a new post)

Crow555

RMS Regular
OP
Crow555
Drives
Integra DC5R
DSC_0220.JPG

DSC_0218.JPG

As it stands, I am very happy with how the car is now. I still need to do something with the Odometer before MOT and get that stereo fitted, but as it is, I don't have any further plans other than to just enjoy the car.

I did take it to the Kerrs BBQ in Ards last weekend (unintentionally parking up in the middle of the Akuma Works crowd) and will try to get to more meets over the summer.

DSC_0234.JPG

DSC_0235.JPG

Hopefully, I will bump into a few RMSers at a few of them. :blush:

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Apologies for the radio silence of late. Work has been very demanding of late so I can't really spend much (or any) time on RMS recently. Thankfully a dodgy domain controller is preventing my ability to work at the moment so I figured, I would update this thread.

(This next section is dedicate to @silver_bullet as he likes a nice clean wheel) :p

As you can see above, the DC5's wheels are a bit grubby looking. When one of the neighbours said he saw a car like mine, only it had white wheels instead, I knew something needed to be done.

I enquired around and got a price from Cobra Customs near Kells. While the car was garaged, I put it up on stands and took the wheels to them. This is the state of them before I left...

View attachment 194691 View attachment 194692 View attachment 194693 View attachment 194694

As you can see the decals looked very sorry for themselves, there was ground-in dirt in the bolt holes and on the inside of the wheels and various poorly touched in scratches. I had also gotten some decals from ebay that were close enough to the originals.

View attachment 194696
View attachment 194695

And this is what I got back. The decals were applied before lamination so with any luck, no more flaking. I also gave the wheels a few very generous coatings of Poorboy's wheel sealant. Next bit was to put the wheels back on the car...

View attachment 194697
View attachment 194699
View attachment 194698
Too say I'm pleased with the results in an understatement. Cobra Customs did a fantastic job (bar a mixup with the centre caps) and I would not hesitate to use them again. In fact, I am probably going to get Mrs Crow's MX5 wheels refurbed by them.

I did then acquire a Sony double-din stereo in a sale but I've yet to fit it. I just know there is a potential headache of connectors and adaptors involved there so I'm putting that off until muggier weather. I also was offered a parcel shelf (thanks @nobby !!) which as any DC5 owner will know is rare as it was an optional item originally. Sadly, I clean forgot to get any pictures of it fitted. : unamused:

As some will remember from reading earlier, I had mentioned that the paint on the front bumper was aged and cracked. Also the front splitter had it's fair share of chip marks so I visited Blairs in Doagh and they said they could repaint it. Booked it in and a week later...

View attachment 194701

They were also able to polish and relacquer the headlights which really took away from the look of the car. (Continued in a new post)

My mates ;)

Looks great Dave, wheels and paint work looks bang on ...

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
I was looking at one of these a while ago myself, they hold the dough rightly though. Absolutely lovely car though mate.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Unreal Dave it looks brilliant, the headlights came up an absolute treat and they always set a DC5 off.

Great work :grinning:

Crow555

RMS Regular
OP
Crow555
Drives
Integra DC5R
Apologies for the lack of correspondence in the past 11 months - Work has been a major pain in the ass lately meaning a severe lack of anything RMS related, but I will try make that up now.

Last time I updated, the car had new springs, was set up, newly sprayed front bumper and a nice pristine set of wheels.

July saw its first MOT here (Torque GT MOT'd it in England once it was registered) so there was a number of items to sort out.

The first and most pressing was the dreaded xenon headlight washer check. I got some T-fixings and rubber hose from Ebay with the intention of replacing the feed to the rear washer with a bit of hose that I could put in and take out when needed. Sadly, that point it somewhere underneath the passenger side headlight so I opted for plan B which was to cut the line, add the T-fixing and run it to each headlight and fix with tape.

Subtle, I'm sure you'll agree. I've simply tied it up and stashed it long the underside of the bonnet jam (it doesn't leak thankfully) and will just unwrap it for the next one.

The next little job for MOT was the speedo. MOTs in England are happy if the car reads MPH only. However, because the Republic of Ireland is in KMPH (at least I assume that's the reason), we need to have both here. As Torgue GT didn't do this for mine, I had to come up with something. I took a photo of the clock face, did a mock-up using some free editing software called Paint.NET and made up my own decal using some adhesive sheets.

Now, I know it isn't fantastic, but it was better than nothing and I had to reprint at a few sizes before it was right. The MOT guy seemed happy enough but added a wee KMPH sticked might help in future.

You may remember me complaining about the H badges - The front being replaced by Blairs while the bonnet was sprayed - so I set about replacing the rear too. Thankfully, this one is much easier, it's simply two plastic pegs and some sticky pads. What isn't so easy is the 16 years of crud that outlined it. I got as much off as I could and fitted the new one. Job jobbed.

MOT passed, happy enough. Shortly after that, I arranged for the Integra and Mrs Crow's MX5 to get the gTechniq treatment with @big_pete. Now I could bang on about this, but probably best to let the expert talk you through it.

It's maybe mentioned a number of times but never enough, the man is a genius and I was thoroughly impressed with the finish on both cars.

I was really impressed with the photos even if they don't do the finish any justice. The MX5 turned out great as well, but sadly no photos of it.

Apart from a Cars and Coffee at PMG a few weeks later, there wasn't much else to report the rest of the year and it was garaged at the end of September. While it was parked up, I did set about another little job...