DIY springs

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PhilG

RMS Regular
Has anyone ever tried getting some springs, heating them with a blow torch, and making them shorter?

The thought just popped into my head. I'd say it'd be dangerous etc blah blah blah, but i dont think it would be as bad as cut springs.

CapMan

Banned
Drives
Wait and see!
Doubt it would be very effective tryiing to do it yourself.

SMB

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
I think it can be done, but why would you want to!?

Plus if ya try and compress it yourself, it will prob get outta shape and not fit properly in the strut!! The last thing ya want is a dodgy suspension...

PhilG

RMS Regular
OP
P
MG-Mad said:
I think it can be done, but why would you want to!?

Plus if ya try and compress it yourself, it will prob get outta shape and not fit properly in the strut!! The last thing ya want is a dodgy suspension...

the lowest springs on the market for a megane are 40mm... i want to go 70 :grinning:

and i cant cut the springs because they are conicle shape, so if i took a coil off they wouldnt fit in the dampers cup.

rsnutter

R
70mm on springs is madness - he car will have a crap ride. You would be best getting coilovers.

2fast4u

RMS Regular
Drives
V50, MT-10, MSX
rsnutter said:
70mm on springs is madness - he car will have a crap ride. You would be best getting coilovers.

Def agree.

Is their not a torsion bar on the rear of your coupe?

Means coilovers would be cheaper (2 rather than 4 units).

With a 70mm drop on the front dont think ya would have much steering lock either.:laughing:

PhilG

RMS Regular
OP
P
2fast4u said:
Def agree.

Is their not a torsion bar on the rear of your coupe?

Means coilovers would be cheaper (2 rather than 4 units).

With a 70mm drop on the front dont think ya would have much steering lock either.:laughing:

ive lowered the torsion bar around 60, the front is only 30 now. "JSMR" is selling his coilovers from his megane but because renault are a bunch of ****ers they wont fit my car. And i dont have the cash to buy new coilovers.

CapMan

Banned
Drives
Wait and see!
Make your own coilovers with your standard parts.

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
i know of a few people who heated the springs and the car did drop but there is no real way of controling the drop so it could be 67mm one side and 76mm the other, also the spring broke after a short time as heating it made it weaker. you can buy a home made coilover kit from demon tweeks if im not mistaken, but i wouldn't sign anything.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
yup, induces stress, not gd, cuttin an heatins not generally the best, but cuttin always worked well for me :laughing:

looks well but its a hell of a rough ride

PhilG

RMS Regular
OP
P
As it turns out JSMR's coilovers should fit my megane. Renault never changed the standard damper design til after year 2000 somewhere.

So if he accepts my ****ty offer ill be driving at -70mm :laughing:

PhilG

RMS Regular
OP
P
ps. i have also thought about diy shortening my own shocks. It would only be a matter of puttin the piston rod on a lathe, choppin off 40mm and use a die to get a thread on it.

Marc

RMS Moderator
lol.. the shocks may be shortened.. but what happens when the piston goes inside the shock casing and you bottom out.. also the damping rate would be screwed up...mate.. its one of the most important parts for keeping you out of hedges.. buy coilovers and do it correctly :grinning:

PhilG said:
ps. i have also thought about diy shortening my own shocks. It would only be a matter of puttin the piston rod on a lathe, choppin off 40mm and use a die to get a thread on it.

CLIO-SAM1986

Drives
clio
Ive Seen Someone Heating Springs And Crushing It Under A Ramp The Rattled About Like They Were Goin To Fall Out! U Should'nt Cut Or Heat Ur Springs Not Good!!!!!

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
has to be done :p

i did 30k in the first corsa on cut springs lol, never once dislocated or moved, worked a treat coilovers wudnt go low enuff bak then the 90mm kits were pish

casper-ac

RMS Regular
mook how did u cut the rear corsa springs, surely it ruined the shape of them?

wrt philg...id have no prob cuttin a coil off springs at all and there is also a place in portadown springco that heat springs professionally and lower them...try them http://www.springco.co.uk/
or try coilsprings.co.uk

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Phil, coilsprings.co.uk will do it for you, or else there is a crowd in Belfast who can also do it but unsure as to what they are called.. I'm sure someone on here will know who Im on about! :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.