do corsa sport's have anti-locking brakes?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gunit10

Drives
bmw 318
was just wondering if anyone could tell me if corsa sports have anti-locking brakes?

cheers

gunit10

OP
G
Drives
bmw 318
cheers mate. Im lookin for a decent car with anti-locking brakes. However, without much success.

big cyril

RMS Regular
That's pretty poor - most cars had ABS even back then eg mk4 golf released in 1998 and you couldn't get one without ABS even if you tried right from the start.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
yeah but corsa was released in 93 didnt even get leccy windows standard in sport form till 97 or PAS etc

i never found a real need for abs on either sport i owned, 1st one had 2litre gsi cav brake up front, 2nd was standard, both were adequate!

big cyril

RMS Regular
m00k said:
yeah but corsa was released in 93 didnt even get leccy windows standard in sport form till 97 or PAS etc

i never found a real need for abs on either sport i owned, 1st one had 2litre gsi cav brake up front, 2nd was standard, both were adequate!

I used to think I didn't need ABS too until one wet day I came round a left hand bend in the rain and found the traffic backed up so had to do an emergency stop as well as steer. There was a truck coming the other way.
The ABS kicked in and the car kept on my side of the road and stopped ok.
No ABS , probably would have locked up , headed across the road at a tangent and into the path of the truck.
Yup , I should have been going slower , but we all make mistakes sometimes and that day the ABS saved my ass!

gunit10

OP
G
Drives
bmw 318
well my last corsa didnt have abs, and when my brakes locked, i hit bank and rolled! With the car being totally wrote off! So, im looking for a decent car, which has abs. Any ideas?

Crimson Viper

Drives
Integra Type R D
humm i thought ABS was standard in all cars these days.
Speaking of, whats the diff between EBS and ABS, i know my last car had both.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
yeah i had a few incidents in corsa too but it was still controllable, taxi pulled out in front of us on round about when we were drivin 'swiftly' wheels locked but was lucky enuff to ease off an steer it thru an brake a bit gentler, bronko will tell ye it was close lol

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
ABS on small cars sucks, always kicking in too early, giving you less braking. The system in the Astra is much better.

santoz

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
ZS said:
ABS on small cars sucks, always kicking in too early, giving you less braking. The system in the Astra is much better.

i agree, i don't feel small cars need/benefit from abs. they should be fitted with better all round brakes, i.e. discs and people should be taught how to drive properly in the wet!

I have no abs and have never found the need for it. In a larger, more powerful car i feel it is a necessity though!

brendy

RMS Regular
santoz said:
i agree, i don't feel small cars need/benefit from abs. they should be fitted with better all round brakes, i.e. discs and people should be taught how to drive properly in the wet!

I have no abs and have never found the need for it. In a larger, more powerful car i feel it is a necessity though!
try driving a ka which is so badly under servo'ed to the point of, when you do stand on the brakes at 30 mph it slides on... dangersous is a word id use.

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
Corsa is the same, as soon as you touch the brakes the car takes a nose dive, back wheels go onto the ABS. If you mash the brakes then it's all 4 wheels on the ABS - resulting in zero speed reduction.

I was going down a steep freshly gravelled driveway, only to find I was actually gaining speed even with the brake to the floor. Ended up ripping on the handbrake or I'd have been onto the Bangor dual carriageway at 30mph. Just ended up with two trenches on the drive and the car nose first into the person's garden bushes.

Thankfully the Astra ABS is much better, only had it come on once, and it actually helped.

slinky2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
ZS said:
Corsa is the same, as soon as you touch the brakes the car takes a nose dive, back wheels go onto the ABS. If you mash the brakes then it's all 4 wheels on the ABS - resulting in zero speed reduction.

I was going down a steep freshly gravelled driveway, only to find I was actually gaining speed even with the brake to the floor. Ended up ripping on the handbrake or I'd have been onto the Bangor dual carriageway at 30mph. Just ended up with two trenches on the drive and the car nose first into the person's garden bushes.

Thankfully the Astra ABS is much better, only had it come on once, and it actually helped.

how the hell did that happen?

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
Quite simple, on loose gravel the wheels try and lock, so the ABS kicks in, which starts the wheel rolling along the gravel. ABS is trying to stop the locking, so you actually end up speeding up. It's a bit like a vibrating plate, the rapid stopping and starting of the wheel makes it scoot along the surface.

The first bit of my post above isn't clear, I meant to say that on slippy roads mashing the brakes result in no speed reduction.

big cyril

RMS Regular
ZS said:
Quite simple, on loose gravel the wheels try and lock, so the ABS kicks in, which starts the wheel rolling along the gravel. ABS is trying to stop the locking, so you actually end up speeding up. It's a bit like a vibrating plate, the rapid stopping and starting of the wheel makes it scoot along the surface.

The first bit of my post above isn't clear, I meant to say that on slippy roads mashing the brakes result in no speed reduction.

Aye , know what you mean , one time on an icy hill I braked in a car with ABS and it felt as if the brakes were broken as the pedal was being pushed but no slowing down at all - it's a weird feeling. Still , I reckon that means there was no grip to be had anyway -abs or not!
On some cars (eg Corrado) there is a switch to disable ABS.

Overall though I'd take an ABS car over a non ABS car everytime and anyone who has had a frightening moment will agree!

@Hyundai Coupe - ABS mean anti lock brakes which prevents the wheels locking under braking which means you retain control of the car and (usually) stop quicker.
Not sure what exactly EBS stands for but it is probably either a traction control system which prevents wheelspin of the driven wheels or
an anti slide system like VW's ESP which will try to correct a slide if you are unlucky enough to find yourself in that situation on the road. This in particular is an impressive device and has actually been shown to reduce accident statistics.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.