Dodgy Lowering Springs

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

rmsnoel

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly..
Got a set of Kilen Red lowering springs from The Tyre Safety Centre 10 months ago. Bought and fitted for £150.
Ride was always harsh but just thought thats the way it should be. Left her in wif my own mechanic for MOT Prep. Springs sittin almost fully compressed.

Shocks are fine. Anyone else got these springs or had similar problem. Tyre safety centre say this is the way there meant to be and were pretty blunt bout it. Any Advice??????????

Attachments

• Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Untitled-Scanned-07.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-07.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Untitled-Scanned-17.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-17.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 155

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
They're bound to be guaranteed lad. Get on the ball to the TSC and demand they be replaced/money back

rmsnoel

RMS Regular
OP
rmsnoel
Drives
Slowly..
I did. They told my aul to basiclly go away. Thats the way their meant to be etc. Spent £550 on wheels, tyres and springs and they didnt even align the wheels.

casper-ac

RMS Regular
GMAX are gauranteed for 3 years, and they are budget ones!
take them back and say your off to the small claims court

Marc

RMS Moderator
whats so Fuc*ed about them? it looks from the pics that the plastic coating is just coming off, all springs will do this.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Marc said:
whats so Fuc*ed about them? it looks from the pics that the plastic coating is just coming off, all springs will do this.

it looks from the last pic that they've given up the ghost unless theres something very heavy in the car! very very little spring there to compress and absorb the bumps

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
My Eibachs didn't look anything like that. I suspect those springs aren't the right ones for the car...

£150 was too much for a set of springs anyway...

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
ZS said:
My Eibachs didn't look anything like that. I suspect those springs aren't the right ones for the car...

£150 was too much for a set of springs anyway...

bought and fitted for £150

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
My Eibachs were bought and fitted for that!! and are better looking now after 20k miles than the standard springs were over the same distance!!

rmsnoel

RMS Regular
OP
rmsnoel
Drives
Slowly..
Pics 1 and 3 r front left spring with car sittin on level ground. Car weighs 840kg with half a tank of fuel. Pic 2 is car fully jacked up. The distance from top of bump stop to top of shock piston thingy is exactly 5 inches. When i let the car back off the jack the height reduction is 5 inches an a eigth, hence ridin on the bump stop. Spring has six coils in total. under weight of car the bottom are fully compressed, paint off and slight surface rust. Kilen are TUV approved and are suppose to be top quality swedish springs, volvo and saab owners wont use anything else.

rmsnoel

RMS Regular
OP
rmsnoel
Drives
Slowly..
i'm puttin the orginals back in on saturday for the MOT. Mechanic says to stick the kilens under the front wheels and lower the car onto them to see how far they compress. Cant see these being Kilens idea of lowering springs although i'm still runnin standard shocks. Was thinkin of KYB gas shocks in the next few weeks. I'm skint on a near permanant bases thats why i'm so damn upset.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
mate, from the 1st + 3rd picture there is something majorly wrong. as pete said, they're fully compressed. and you say those are the front too?! theres fully no "spring" in the spring at all! get them out, take them to TSC + show them the pish they've sold you. though id be inclined to let them see them actually on the car, that is a joke.

rmsnoel

RMS Regular
OP
rmsnoel
Drives
Slowly..
Just wanna correct myself a minute. They have always been like this though being my first car i just didnt know what they should be like. They havent changed in the 10 months, they've always been like that, i thought it was the shock that did all the work not the spring. Was all set to go shock shoppin this weekend cause i thought the shocks were done.
@ Lyons they'd no interest in lookin at them, got the car brought down til them today.
Dont really know what to do now or were i stand. They said i asked for the car to be lowered and its lower.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
rmsnoel said:
They have always been like this though being my first car i just didnt know what they should be like. They havent changed in the 10 months, they've always been like that, i thought it was the shock that did all the work not the spring. Was all set to go shock shoppin this weekend cause i thought the shocks were done.

are you serious?!! theres no travel in those at all!! you might as well have no springs at all! i cant quite believe you drove for a day, never mind 10mths!!

get on the phone to kilen + see what the warranty is. thats bang wrong.

as said above, they may even be the wrong spring. im stunned!

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
rmsnoel said:
I did. They told my aul to basiclly go away. Thats the way their meant to be etc. Spent £550 on wheels, tyres and springs and they didnt even align the wheels.

ya see wat i mean about TSC, i wouldnt go near them!

Marc

RMS Moderator
ahh.. i never boothered to look at pics 1 & 3 they looks the least clearest.. but now looking at them.. they are a bit fooked

rosie

RMS Regular
Drives
anything that bl
noel got my springs there too and it is a harsh ride !

hope u get it sorted lad!
ps will u look at mine for me to check them

rmsnoel

RMS Regular
OP
rmsnoel
Drives
Slowly..
No problem rosie, anything for my number one bit on the sly.

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
its gotta b the wrong springs, do you still have the box the springs came in or did they throw it out?

There mite b a model no u could check out and c if its for a different car.

rmsnoel

RMS Regular
OP
rmsnoel
Drives
Slowly..
@ Peje, love the quote lad. I always keep boxes but i think the springs are the right ones. Everyone i mention it to has the same problem outta there.
Any one who got work outta there, especially rosie ;)
Go and get your alignment and chamber checked. When you get your car lowered your chamber changes, (excessive tyre wear anyone.) And what happens, you go back to TSC and but two more tyres at 50 quid a pop (15's).

B A Baracus

RMS Regular
Drives
Fergie TVO
Lad take a list of car sites your a member of (and add a few on) and slap it down on the managers desk telling him youre gonna bad mouth his company on the net unless he sorts this...worth a try!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
are they progressively wound?

if so i reckon if they were fitted upside down they would do this?

Does the coil spacing change as you go along the spring when they are out of the shocks??

Warren.

rmsnoel

RMS Regular
OP
rmsnoel
Drives
Slowly..
Dont know yet, thought they might be upside down but they should still work me tinks.
i'm gettin work done on monday, gettin my orginal springs back in :worried: Gonna do alotta checkin up now on spring shock combo's. wanted car lowered to improve handling. Anyone know of a nice, caring place to get stuff from.

P.S. spotted miniators punto outside my mates house and just hada take a snap of the rear wheel. Lookin very sweet

Attachments

• miniator.jpg
    miniator.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 89

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
lol and as usual my car is dirty! lol but thanks all the same! shes not quite low enough at the back for me! sorting that out this week!

i was working in outdoor world, you shoulda come in and introduced yourself!

as for getting springs, i find second hand is the best way to go! i bought both these 50mil springs and my previous 35mil springs 2nd hand! and tbh mate, springs simple to put in provided you have springs clamps for the front shocks!

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
thought you might like to see, this is my back 50mil eibach spring when the car is on its own weight!

(cant get a pic of the front cause i cant get the camera though between the arch and tyre!)

Attachments

• DSCF0638.jpg
    DSCF0638.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 98
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.