Driving without tax

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That time of year again, tax and MoT expire at the same time, and cannot tax the car until it has an MoT. Chicken and egg, catch 22, the system is just nuts...

Anyway. Unfortunately the car failed MoT on a technicality (headlight level sensors). So now I can't tax it either. And won't be able to fix it until the end of the month.

Obviously the car can't be used until it has all been sorted.

But I believe you are allowed to drive without an MoT to and from a garage and to and from a test centre.

Is it the same without tax as well?

johnm

RMS Regular
Yep, can drive too and from no bother.
As when you do come to tax the car, it covers it for the full month anyway, not just the date its done.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
That time of year again, tax and MoT expire at the same time, and cannot tax the car until it has an MoT. Chicken and egg, catch 22, the system is just nuts...

Anyway. Unfortunately the car failed MoT on a technicality (headlight level sensors). So now I can't tax it either. And won't be able to fix it until the end of the month.

Obviously the car can't be used until it has all been sorted.

But I believe you are allowed to drive without an MoT to and from a garage and to and from a test centre.

Is it the same without tax as well?

Just don't park it on the street or you could get clamped

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Need to go for six months tax next time and then back to twelve to get tax and MoT on different dates... It's the same on both cars, and the same mess every year, the system is just nuts, lol :joy:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Definitely fine without MoT, you're allowed to drive to a garage to get it fixed and then to a test centre to get it passed. Obviously depends on how it failed though, can't drive if it's dangerous.

Just wasn't sure if it was the same without tax, it's a catch-22 as you need MoT before it can be taxed and you need to drive to a garage and a test centre to get the MoT...

Must be the same when taking a SORNed car back on the road come to think of it?

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Sort of on topic, but can roadside cameras tell if the car is taxed in wrong tax class? All taxed and above board on face of it, but a bit of deeper digging reveals it is incorrect.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Sort of on topic, but can roadside cameras tell if the car is taxed in wrong tax class? All taxed and above board on face of it, but a bit of deeper digging reveals it is incorrect.
Afaik they see a green card or red card

Reactions: AMG

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Wouldn’t have thought they went in that far. If it comes up on a Phone type a App taxed then I’d say it would be some what similar...

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Don't see why they couldn't if they check against registration details, but no idea if they do.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.