Drop in DAB signal when ignition switched on

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

KJS

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Tiguan
Hi Guys,

I installed my RNS 315 DAB version today and also installed a Autoleads windscreen mount aerial.

Everything works fine with DAB but when I go to start the car the signal drops. This is only happening
when the ignition is turned on.

Can't figure out whats going on? On some of the VAG forums it is mentioned, if there is a USB adaptor plugged into
the 12V socket then this may cause interference. Checked on mine and nothing is plugged in.

Any ideas?

KJS

RMS Regular
OP
KJS
Drives
VW Tiguan
Anybody? Not sure what seems to be the interference? Oddly only happens during evening times.
When ignition is off the signal is strong.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
if you send me a wiring diagram, I can point you in the right direction! Sounds like the antenna might be receiving a 12v power supply up its co-ax, which would cut the signal if the antenna does not have the capacity to separate the radio signal and dc as in the case of an OEM VW Audi antenna.

KJS

RMS Regular
OP
KJS
Drives
VW Tiguan
Hi @Cartunes I think you are correct about the 12v power up the co-ax. Because the antenna works grand without connecting the power wire to a 12v ignition live I had setup.

Here is the wire diagram I found of RNS 315 online

rns-315-pin-diagram.jpg

Hopefully this helps?

Last edited:

KJS

RMS Regular
OP
KJS
Drives
VW Tiguan
Also @Cartunes I had the car scanned on friday and the radio was giving a open circuit error with the DAB aerial.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
@KJS - that diagram doesn't help much as the antenna isn't shown, but I'm sure that's the problem area. Autoleads tech guru (used to be Dee after I left, but I think she has moved on) should be able to help.
Contact Details
Telephone
General: +44 (0)1420 476767
Technical: +44 (0)900 1020 119†
Postal Address
Autoleads
Armour Automotive
Woolmer Way,
Bordon, Hants,
GU35 9QE,
United Kingdom
†Calls to technical cost 60p per minute. Opening hours: 9:00am - 5:00pm Mon-Thu, 9:00am - 1:00pm Fri.
Mobile phone costs vary, maximum call charge of £5.00.

KJS

RMS Regular
OP
KJS
Drives
VW Tiguan
Cheers mate (y) I'll give them a bell today to find out....

KJS

RMS Regular
OP
KJS
Drives
VW Tiguan

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
It more like its interfering with the signal in the coax. Try changing the routing of the dab antenna cable, it's probably running past the light control unit. I have experienced that before.

KJS

RMS Regular
OP
KJS
Drives
VW Tiguan
Where would the light control module be? I mean driver side or passenger side as the cable is running from the LHS A pillar down the glove box and into the radio.

One thing though, the aerial is mounted near the autolight/auto rain sensor. Could this be something cause? Silly question :oops:

KJS

RMS Regular
OP
KJS
Drives
VW Tiguan
Yes, definitely. Try repositioning the antenna and cable first.

I will try to reposition the aerial over the weekend. Looking online it looks like, my aftermarket HIDs might be causing the problem.
One of the ballast may be faulty etc...although lights come onn perfectly.

Went and tested the DAB again with the ignition/headlights onn everything is working fine lol Signal is strong etc.

I will test again tomorrow and try to unplug one of the ballast and see if the signal comes back?

KJS

RMS Regular
OP
KJS
Drives
VW Tiguan
well? I'm salivating here,waiting for the next episode........

lol just went out in break and checked again. The DAB didnt work with the headlights onn, so disconnected one of each ballast and it still didnt come on. So disconnected both of them, and it worked. So looks like the HIDs are causing the issue.

KJS

RMS Regular
OP
KJS
Drives
VW Tiguan
Not sure if my test was conclusive, but will put the standard halogen bulbs back on and see if that also affects the DAB?

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Not sure if my test was conclusive, but will put the standard halogen bulbs back on and see if that also affects the DAB?

I think we've found the culprit though..... where are the ballasts positioned? Keep the antenna wiring on the other side of the car from the ballasts at the very least! Maybe move the antenna to the rear screen? Position is important for EMI issues.

KJS

RMS Regular
OP
KJS
Drives
VW Tiguan
I think we've found the culprit though..... where are the ballasts positioned? Keep the antenna wiring on the other side of the car from the ballasts at the very least! Maybe move the antenna to the rear screen? Position is important for EMI issues.

Yup ballasts are positioned near the headlamps and antenna inside the cabin. On a second note, I am wondering if it is a earthing problem? Might run individual earth wires to each HIDs and see if it cures the issue?

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Bad Earths are Bad, M'kay!!!! The biggest cause of interference on a vehicle. Apart from cheap Chinese HID kits........

KJS

RMS Regular
OP
KJS
Drives
VW Tiguan
Well it looks like, my FM is also getting affected :worried:
Time to throw the HIDs away and get me Halogen bulbs in :sob:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
YAY! Go back to candles if that doesn't sort it. I've got a set from a Model T here in my desk at work if you want to test them.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.