E46 Saloon Install

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I am slowly but surely getting the 330d to where I want it mechanically, aesthetically and now I want to sort out the ICE side of things.

Its currently got;
Pioneer DEH X8700BT headunit
Alpine Type S Components in the doors which I have now made MDF pods for (Previous owner just ****ed them in behind the doorcard!)

And, that's it! Havent a clue whats in the parcel shelf.
I know very little about ICE these days so ive a few questions.
Mostly dance music and a bit of rock, don't need any deep rumbly bass.

Can I amp the Type S components? Will it be any advantage?
What can I put in the rear?
If I cut the ski hatch out is that a good place for a sub? What size?

I have an Alpine 2 channel (i think) amp lying about that used to run a 12" Magnat sub.
Also have a smaller 4channel amp which used to run the sub before I got the Alpine.
Can I utilise any of this or is it old hat now?

Thanks,
Anton

moorsojr

RMS Regular
Drives
320D M Sport
im sure @Cartunes will be along shortly to make sense of everything for you, but for now...

yes, amp the components and rear speakers with the 4 channel amp and use the 2 channel for the sub, as for the ski hatch idea im not sure, there are kits to put an 8" sub between the back seats for the coupes so not sure it would work for the saloon. BMW have great sound deadening so the sub will be quite masked though with the components being amped you will get a reasonable amount of bass from them, with the sub in the rear providing some extra wobbliness. Not sure myself what the parcel shelf speakers are like but you can get very reasonable priced co-axails to fit for a bit of rear fill. Amping the components up front and adding a sub will make a huge difference. I have a Kenwood HU up front with Focal components, then kenwood co-axails in the back and a JL 12w3 sub using a lovely alpine amp. sounds great. though with it being a Touring there is nothing stopping the sound from the boot getting into the car.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Hi @Antoin - drop me a PKM with more details - is it an E46? Model numbers of the amps and sub too - The S type Alpines will take amplification, as long as they are filtered from the low stuff and are mounted/sealed properly in the door - have you used sound deadening in the door too? that is the best/cheapest upgrade you can make with door speakers!! Kick that ski-hatch out and box that sub mate!! If the ski hatch isn't removed, your boot lid and number plate will be entertaining passers-bye while you suffer Bass-withdrawal.

By all means, try the equipment you have got around but...... DO NOT SCRIMP on CABLES - you have been warned! :p

@ToDoRon. I've done a few £10k + sound systems in e46's over the years, mostly with Dynaudio, Morel and other esoteric equipment, be assured - Anton is safe in Uncle Del's care ;)

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Cheers lads (y)
Ski hatch will be easily removed, only riveted on I think :laughing:
@Cartunes il check the details of the amps tonight after I find out where the hell they are lol

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Bit of an update on the stuff I do have;

Alpine MRP M350 700W Single channel amp (might actually have two of these!)which had been used to run;
Magnat Bull Power Reflex 130 12" Sub (not the fanciest sub at the time I bought it and certainly not at the forefront of technology now lol)
And an AN Other 2channel amp which I cant remember what it was called!

Do I just amp the front speakers with the AN Other amp and use the Alpine to run the sub?
Can I tap into the front speakers at the head unit rather than trying to get speaker wire through the door harness? I realise that's not the best option but easiest to install.

Any recommendations for a set of 17cm coaxials for the rear shelf?

lalalupo

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 VW Golf R
I'd go one of two ways with what you have (depending on how much you want to utilise)

Option 1.

Run your current fronts off your unknown 2 channel and run alpine sxe 6.5inch off your headunit in the back as there is no point your rears being superior to the front.

Then run a 2ohm sub off your little alpine amp to fully utilise what it has (350w 2ohm).I'm a focal man so I'd run a dual 4 ohm voice coil focal performance 10/12 inch(around 70 quid). Jl is a good option 2 but as far as I'm aware jls two budget options (w0 and wx) are both single 4 ohm coils.

Quick easy to install and will sound great with the amped fronts.

Option 2

Same sub scenario.

Buy a 4 channel amp and alpine spg rears and run a fully amplified cabin.

In regards to option 2 making this option 2.5 haha I have ran alpine spr speakers before amplified and using full range they are rather bassy so you may even decide a sub is over kill.

In terms of wiring personally I'd run full length speaker cables but you could indeed tap into the speakers from beyond the doors to save on the coat hanger drama but as is always said the wires and installation turn an average system into a quality one.

Glen.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Cheers @lalalupo il probably go for option 1.
And I suppose when I am going to the bother of running wires here there and everywhere I may as well run them into the doors.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.