E60 - shaking under braking

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
This car of mine has me stumped.

Intermittently I get a shudder/ shake through the steering wheel when braking. Both low speed and high speed

I have tried the obvious fixes on the front;
New discs and pads - helped for while but shake is back
New tie rods/ TREs
All new front control arms both sides
Wheels have new tyres and balanced
Greased slide pins - one pin is slightly stiff in its rubber boot but does move fairly freely
Calipers are not binding on the discs

Have not changed the following;
Shocks
Springs
Wheel bearings
Anything on the rear of the car - although it's getting new discs and pads tomorrow evening

Am I missing anything?

GrantR

RMS Regular
Had this issue a few years back, turned out to tbe the wheel bearing, no usual signs of it gone bad but after a couple of sets of discs and pads with a wheel bearing replacement problem solved.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Had this issue a few years back, turned out to tbe the wheel bearing, no usual signs of it gone bad but after a couple of sets of discs and pads with a wheel bearing replacement problem solved.

I hope to god you are right. I have one here to fit as well as it was the last thing I could think of. No play in either front wheel bearings at all

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I'd say wheel bearing too, braking puts an offset moment load on the hub and bearing and will expose any wear in the bearing. Had similar issues in the past.

RevT

RMS Regular
E60/E70’s are sore on wheel bearings. I’ve replaced the fronts on the E70 twice now in two years. Definitely worth a try.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
What discs did you fit? I know that they are very particular to high quality discs.

Ive tried both expensive discs and now middle of the road discs with the same result. I didn't want to put another set of expensive ones on only for them to "warp" again.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Ive tried both expensive discs and now middle of the road discs with the same result. I didn't want to put another set of expensive ones on only for them to "warp" again.
Apologies for teaching you to suck eggs, but did you make sure the hub surfaces were clean before fitting the discs?

A.M.Q.R.

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT TSI
Re the pin(s) being stiff in the rubber. Pry the rubbers off the caliper, roll up a strip of sand paper and sand the aluminium corrosion off the caliper. Grease the ate rubber lightly on the outside to. Ideally they should be able to be turned freely in the caliper by finger and thumb.
Is it a 535d,540+ with 2 piece discs?

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Did you check the thickness of the rear discs?

Only with my eyeballs but they are past there use by date, as are the pads.
Re the pin(s) being stiff in the rubber. Pry the rubbers off the caliper, roll up a strip of sand paper and sand the aluminium corrosion off the caliper. Grease the ate rubber lightly on the outside to. Ideally they should be able to be turned freely in the caliper by finger and thumb.
Is it a 535d,540+ with 2 piece discs?

That's a good tip actually, never thought of the actually caliper being the issue, just assumed a bad rubber.
Yes 535d, twin pot calipers. Only single piece discs on at the minute, but yes they do come on 2 piece flavour as well.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
No change @Dandy with the new rear discs and pads unfortunately.
They were definitely overdue though.

Hopefully the wheel bearing change will sort it.

RevT

RMS Regular
I’m still waiting on you doing mine. I may aswell be holding candles out the window now.

Joe 90

RMS Regular
As I said earlier. Clamp off 1 flexible at a time and take for a run. Narrow it down to which wheel. You can't just keep throwing money at it and hoping for the best.