E92 BMW Xenon problem - Bulb & Ballast Replaced & Still No Headlight

JTDi

RMS Regular
Hey guys,

To cut a long story short - I drove through a massive puddle, the cap for the passenger headlight wasn't attached properly, so water got in around the xenon headlight bulb and the ballast, and the passenger headlight blew.

After replacing the Xenon headlight bulb with a new one, there was still no activity from the leadlight.

The ballast was then changed, as there was a fair amount of water laying around it, and I also changed the cable that the ballast uses, still with no headlight activity.

Then the bulb/ballast/cable from the drivers side (all known to be working fine) were tried in the passenger side, and there was no activity from the headlight. The bulb/ballast/cable from the non-working passenger side were then tried in the drivers side, and everything worked fine!

So we know that the bulb/ballast/cable's in both headlights all work fine, so next up, is it the Footwell Control Module (FRM?)

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem before, and is it just a case of the Footwell Control Module has disabled the ballast from igniting the bulb as it has an error code that needs cleared to confirm to it that the bulb/ballast has been changed? Or has the Footwell Control Module blown :confounded:

Next step really is going to get JKC to read/diagnose it, but as usual its a minimum of £110 for an hours standard labour +o(

Unless anyone here knows anyone who can read/diagnose BMW's?

Thanks in advance (y)

RevT

RMS Regular
There should be plenty of people able to read/diagnose BMW's. I'm sure Brian Grieve over in Claudy could do it as he's a BMW man.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Nightmare, :-(

Im not sure about all the different parts in the E90/92 Xenon units.

If you have tried Ballast/bulb/cable, then maybe a control unit of some sort of headlight itself?

If there is a control unit for each headlight try swapping them side to side

Also it prob would be handy to get a quick scan done

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771931

JTDi

RMS Regular
OP
JTDi
is there a fuse for eachheadlight?

There is buddy, they're both fine!

There should be plenty of people able to read/diagnose BMW's. I'm sure Brian Grieve over in Claudy could do it as he's a BMW man.

I've had it read today, its showing as the passenger side low beam is an open circuit, and isn't activating the bi-xenon bulb. Since the bulb, ballast and cable has been replaced - and the fuses are fine, it has to be the Footwell Control Module methinks....

Nightmare, :-(

Im not sure about all the different parts in the E90/92 Xenon units.

If you have tried Ballast/bulb/cable, then maybe a control unit of some sort of headlight itself?

If there is a control unit for each headlight try swapping them side to side

Also it prob would be handy to get a quick scan done

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771931

There is only one Control Module in the passenger footwell that runs both headlights and other electrics in the car, so nothing available to swap over (n)

chris gosden

Drives
Bmw e81
Sames just happened to my 1 series e81, jet washed it and had exactly the same problem, did you find out a fix for it?

chris gosden

Drives
Bmw e81
Thanks mate, just ordered one, bloody nightmare all from cleaning the car, cheers for your help :grinning:

mark_port

Drives
Mini
hi, i know this was a few years ago, but roughly how much did it cost for the footwell module to be replaced at the dealers. Any goodwill from mini? Thanks