Electrified Classic Cars

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Just read the following on Pistonheads and enjoyed the debate, what’s the thoughts over here? Is it sacrilege or salvation to convert classics?

I can see both sides but it seems a bit wrong imo. Junking a classic cars engine to put in a generic electric job just doesn’t feel very car enthusiast imo but if I had the money would I do it? Probably! How awesome would it be to have an old classic Art Deco styled car with a reliable power train to use at your leisure but I’d like the car to come with a massive crate with all the original components inside just So I know they could be reunited.

MarkM

RMS Regular
It’ll make them more reliable and useable but the sound, the smell, the soul......I can see both sides

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Don't see the point if the car is a low mileage classic, the co2 involved in the battery production alone will only add to whatever co2 the car contributed as an IC car.
That plus, classics are all about the sounds and the smells and the driving experience. Taking away the sound and adding a load of weight will kill the reasons to want one.
IMO

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
It's fine and interesting for one or two examples, but that's it. Cars of that era should be left alone

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Don't see the point if the car is a low mileage classic, the co2 involved in the battery production alone will only add to whatever co2 the car contributed as an IC car.
That plus, classics are all about the sounds and the smells and the driving experience. Taking away the sound and adding a load of weight will kill the reasons to want one.
IMO

Absolutely, converting it will have caused more pollution than any car like that would ever create being driven...as most are rarely driven.
And in no way whatsoever is it a proper classic anymore. Doing that should massively de-value such a car, same as any engine swaps etc would.

And unless it has a couple of Tesla's LDU's, it's bound to be underpowered.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
A lot of classic cars came with proper boat anchor engines, so maybe some merit in swapping out a knackered engine for something a little different. People have been sticking modern engines into classics for decades. The MK2 Golf world is full of people throwing 20VT engines into them and no-one seems to get too upset about it.

I personally enjoy the raw mechanical experience with the older cars, it's a huge part of the appeal for me but I wouldn't begrudge someone else converting their classic and can see the appeal. An electric MX5 would be an absolute hoot I reckon.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Spoke to a company here that are thinking of moving into these conversions. The potential for 4 or 500bhp is quite easily achievable but the costs are around 5k upwards depending on spec :eek:. I would suspect we will be forced into a corner with this in years to come with environmental reasons etc. I can understand pros and cons on both sides

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I can see both sides, certainly suited to some types of cars more than others. Likes of a Citroen DS with tesla running gear seems awesome.

For a lot of cars I would prefer a petrol engine, either modified standard one or a different one from standard. However, the key thing is that enjoying a car isn't really about how fast it is, some of the most fun cars aren't that fast outright (why the likes of modern things like Golf Rs etc are just a bit / very soulless despite being fast and therefore purely for daily duties rather than a 'fun' car). I think this is what a lot of people forget, but to each his own and all that.

Main thing is, does it wind up purists (the most utterly tedious people to ever exist). If yes, then yep all for it! :joy:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
An electric MX5 would be an absolute hoot I reckon.
Jonny Smith reviewed one recently which he was very upbeat about but it was something like 14k to convert and get 160 mile range. I think they did as good a job as possible but it just proves that its probably not the best idea..

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
There was a show on featuring a company in England converting classics, bills were insane. Guy from over here had a Karmann Ghia done, was great job but £20k.....................the car was worth around £15k. Someone else gave around £10k to get a Fiat 500 done, it was a £7k car maybe.
As said you'd need to be doing serious miles to warrant that

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
A lot of classic cars came with proper boat anchor engines, so maybe some merit in swapping out a knackered engine for something a little different. People have been sticking modern engines into classics for decades. The MK2 Golf world is full of people throwing 20VT engines into them and no-one seems to get too upset about it.

I personally enjoy the raw mechanical experience with the older cars, it's a huge part of the appeal for me but I wouldn't begrudge someone else converting their classic and can see the appeal. An electric MX5 would be an absolute hoot I reckon.

MK2 Golf is hardly a real classic. So swap away.
Spoke to a company here that are thinking of moving into these conversions. The potential for 4 or 500bhp is quite easily achievable but the costs are around 5k upwards depending on spec :eek:. I would suspect we will be forced into a corner with this in years to come with environmental reasons etc. I can understand pros and cons on both sides

You're not getting that power for £5k.

Companies that offer kits with Tesla's large motor which is the 4-500hp range....the parts kit is around £10k. That is without fitting, and with no batteries.
And batteries can add a lot of cost, as would the actual installation.

Although a lot depends how they go about it. Slapping a motor onto the cars gearbox, or actually fitting a proper electric drive motor directly without the gearbox.

It does have a lot of potential, and the more cars that get crashed, the more spare parts will become more available and cheaper.......but the lack of noise would take some getting used to

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I don't know, they've pretty much gone beyond the 'retro' phase now given the age of them, and have a big following.

Regardless of being a 'real' classic or not (opinions will differ!), swap away regardless of what the car is.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
There’ a firm down south that do it. I think that guy Crowley from Crowley Carbon is involved? You wouldn’t want the be converting a classic ferrari or lamborghini as you’d be throwing away the most valuable bit.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I don't know, they've pretty much gone beyond the 'retro' phase now given the age of them, and have a big following.

Regardless of being a 'real' classic or not (opinions will differ!), swap away regardless of what the car is.

Point is...a £300k Bentley isn't a Cheap Golf....not even remotely the same

Such classics are what they are, because they're original and intact. the sort of people to spend that money on them, aren't likely to drive them whether they're petrol, diesel, battery or unicorn piss powered though. So seems totally wrong to destroy the heritage of the car.
Of course, people with that sort of money don't usually care either way, most would do it for PR value, just the same as lots buying Prius years ago, and now Teslas....yet they're probably some of the biggest polluters and hypocrites on the planet lol

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Point is...a £300k Bentley isn't a Cheap Golf....not even remotely the same

Such classics are what they are, because they're original and intact. the sort of people to spend that money on them, aren't likely to drive them whether they're petrol, diesel, battery or unicorn piss powered though. So seems totally wrong to destroy the heritage of the car.
Of course, people with that sort of money don't usually care either way, most would do it for PR value, just the same as lots buying Prius years ago, and now Teslas....yet they're probably some of the biggest polluters and hypocrites on the planet lol
True, just don't look too closely at a lot the vintage or historic race cars, as theres not much heritage to them either 😂

Feck the originality all the same as it's still good to see that type of stuff being used, even if some of it is a case of some parts being from the original rather than the while thing!

Get what you're saying all the same (and agree on the hypocritical p(r)ious types. Still, if I was in the position to have something like that, there would be a sense of satisfaction doing something to it that would have the picnic set and tweed / owners clubs type ranting 😂

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Interesting bit near the end of the video about the SL Merc kit he's developing, so the car will look untouched, including interior. So even a perfect classic, with matching engine number, keep engine in storage while EV kit is fitted. Then when you sell it has max value because you can sell the EV with the loose engine, or choose to convert back with no sign that was ever an EV. Perfect, and probably the ideal investment potential.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Its a crazy cost to convert a car to sound like a milk float. Thats why im thinking with the changes in fuel etc. the older car owners may be backed into a corner in years to come. Apparently this new petrol eats carbs and rubber fuel lines, running super unleaded is a temp solution but its being changed in 5 years as well apparently.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Apparently this new petrol eats carbs and rubber fuel lines, running super unleaded is a temp solution but its being changed in 5 years as well apparently.
Load of nonsense.

If it's going to eat a hose...likely that hose was already long overdue replacement in the first place.

The change from 4star to unleaded was far bigger and the world kept on going.

redxl77

RMS Regular
Think old Land Rovers would do well to be EV converted. Would give a fundamentally very useful vehicle much better/safer performance for contemporary road conditions and reduce the loud engine noise.

Wouldn't see much point with a 'normal' classic road biased car unless the owner doesn't like modern vehicles and wants to daily a classic but needs to make it more 'acceptable'.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I think taking something like a 60s Morris Oxford/minor and converting it to 400 awd electric power would be absolutely hilarious. Imagine the look on peoples faces when it takes off.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Load of nonsense.

If it's going to eat a hose...likely that hose was already long overdue replacement in the first place.

The change from 4star to unleaded was far bigger and the world kept on going.

I did say 'apparently'

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
I’ve looked into doing this before with cars -bearing in mind I can do all the installation myself, to do it properly with decent power and reliable components - most cars you’ll be into £20-25k if you’re paying someone. Kits start from £10k but have no batteries etc as already mentioned.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
A guy I know had started to do a classic Ford, got motor and axle from China, think retailed at around £1500, gave them spec and waited a few month, although when it came the axle was slightly narrower. Would do 50 - 60mph I think. Project stalled past couple of years though.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
On Vintage Voltage on Quest the fella was saying it was £10k for the Tesla drive unit, plus £20k for the batteries.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Yeah batteries seem to be the costly part, and as someone pointed out on another forum a couple of years ago they've no way of disposing of old batteries yet.
Like anything though that Tesla kit is £10k but once conversions become more common manufacturers will see an opening and prices will become more competitive. It's still something I'd not be keen on.