End of driving as we know it?

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
First I've heard of this,

Environment Secretary Michael Gove is expected to reveal the plans – that will come into place by 2040 – today.

Detailing the Government’s delayed Air Quality Plan, Mr Gove will announce the end of driving as we know it within a generation.

No new petrol or diesel car will be sold beyond 2040 with Brits expected to fork out for electric or hybrid vehicles.

er650-exide-battery.jpg

Govt unveiling plans to STOP sales of petrol and diesel cars TOMORROW

Last edited by a moderator:

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
So this will be the death of combustion engines in vehicles, if this gets approved it will be an ending, an ending of those spectacular noises performance/super/hyper cars make.

If they don't sound great, then what's the point?

genman

G
Let's just see what the fuel industry have to say.... personally I'm not bothered...by then I'll be well past my best and into my 70's.
I agree with the need to target buses etc and it was only a matter of time anyway.
Not all electric cars are dull and boring and hopefully by then the tech in the likes of a Tesla will be affordable.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
In fairness it makes sense.

On the note of performance cars and all that, the majority of the population use a car to get from A to B and don't care about noise and performance so it is a move to get the commuters into more sustainable vehicles. This isn't a move targeted at the car enthusiast its a move to change the cars stuck in traffic on a monday morning pissing out fumes.

Now I hope there will be some exception for certain vehicle types such as your hyper cars and performance cars. Better not be an electric M3.

If not who really cares. We have an electric car for work then we all buy E92 M3's and theres more petrol for the petrol heads at the weekends :grinning: also I will be 49 when it comes in so not going to worry i'll probably be dead.

No more red diesel though, every culchie will be Googling.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
As long as they still provide fuel and consumables for older vehicles it won't be so bad. I'll be knocking on 55 so wont have much driving left in me.

On the plus side, this stock (albeit stripped) P100D looks like a lot of fun -

(I know there's a thread on it)

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
So the game plan for me by the time I hit 50 is to have my own field and system for producing ethanol and convert all my then classic cars to run on it....good business plan for keeping classic cars alive too :p

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Saw this yesterday.

I'm not sure the timeline is achievable. In the grand scheme of things, 23 years is not that long a time. If they'd announced a similar move 23 years ago (in 1994) to affect all new cars by 2017, I'd have said the same thing and I don't think it would have been achievable.

There were 2.7 million new cars sold in 2016, and we can expect that number to rise exponentially by 2040 in line with population growth and so on. You not only have to get all those buyers on board with the idea of switching to electric, but you're effectively forcing the manufacturers to totally re-strategise what they're doing and come up with new manufacturing techniques, new technologies, etc. I know many of them have some electric models or some electric concepts, but asides from Tesla they pretty much all rely on traditional combustion engines for their bread and butter turnover. It's not such a shock to the system to someone like the average buyer of a Vauxhall mid-size saloon, but how well is a fully electric 911 going to be accepted? A fully electric M3/M4? Range Rovers and other large SUVs? etc. A lot of those cars are sold because of their character and nature, and that fundamental nature is going to be changed permanently.

With that said however, the manufacturers will simply have to get on board or they face making huge losses in the UK, which is a lucrative market. The remaining weak point then will be the infrastructure needed to support a growing nation of fully electric vehicles as we move on. Like most government projects, I have zero confidence this will be done successfully in time.

On a side-note, as we approach 2040 and the reality sinks in that there'll be no more petrol cars, expect the price of existing classic & modern classic models - which are already on the rise - to go absolutely stratospheric.

pablo

RMS Moderator
look at how far Tesla have come in the last 5 years though say. From wacky concept to legal autopilot on the roads. I for one was amazed at the speed at which driverless cars made it through legislation in the US etc.

The technology is advancing so quickly in the solar panel/battery areas that it will be totally doable in 23 years. Solar is already cheaper than oil. Countries that can produce large amounts of solar energy can export it to countries like ours where solar isn't as viable (yet). We already have many countries able to run on renewable energy for days at a time. Musk reckons solar panels in one small corner of a single state could power the whole USA. Now. Imagine the advances in 23 years time. Even 10 years ago solar was a bit of a joke.

The key imo will be small electricity producing stations, even on the roofs of peoples homes, or even roads/carparks/footpaths made of solar panels. With those kinds of investments we could easily support fully electric transportation.

Heck even if we ran our power plants off oil and made the cars electric it would be a huge leap forward.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
There are still going to be massive changes needed for this **** to work. Not to mention the requirements for battery materials which tend to be uncommon and the reliability and expense of said batteries. At the minute, most electric cars might not see 10 years before they're scrapped due to a battery failure. Assuming the range doesn't drop badly over that time.
Batteries aren't new tech either, i can't see big leaps in this time. Phone batteries are, on a basic level, much the same and the solution in recent years has been to cram in a bigger battery when longer times between charges have been required.

pablo

RMS Moderator
cars likely won't keep the same battery long, you'll rent them from battery companies and (imo) filling stations will simply swap your low battery for a charged one and off you go. they handle retiring and recycling done batteries. The cost of renting the battery simply substitutes paying for fuel.

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
I'm more concerned that one member of this forum who will be 49 by then thinks he will be dead!

And another who will be 55 thinks he won't have much driving left in him:laughing:

I'd say by 2040 those years under your belt will be considered middle-age

Oh to be young and immortal(y)

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
There needs to be a massive infrastructure overhaul to make this viable. So long as it impacts dull modern cars I'm not especially concerned, they are essentially white goods anyway.

The elephant in the room is global trade and shipping, air and haulage. .. how is this impacted?

Provided that there are ways of making the electricity in a clean and effective manner it could work. Lithium batteries produce massive pollution in their production, as does electricity through coal powered power plants. These points are always forgotten it seems.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
It'll be interesting how the countries with much higher populations than the UK and France move forward, like China or USA.

After reading this news, for some reason all I can think about is a future like Demolition Man, just without Snipes or Stallone.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
And if someone manages to perfect a Hydrogen engine then all this electric car stuff will be chucked onto the scrap pile

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Good. About time we pulled out collective fingers out of our ass and moved with the times.

Totally achievable in 2040 imo.

And I'm sure 20-30 years ago, people thought we'd be living on the moon or have landed on Mars.

There is absolutely no signs of any technology out there to replace the IC engine for a proper functional vehicle, even more so for commercial vehicles.

And such a decision will decimate the car industry in the UK...and people are worried about Brexit now hurting industries here ? LOL

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
That's what I'm wondering.

Why isn't hydrogen being pushed a lot more than electric?