Engine failure, advice needed

paddy1001

RMS Regular
Hi All,

I am looking a bit of advice on a recent purchase. We bought a new to us car (2016 car with 77000 miles on it, high end car and expensive) at the start of November, in the just over 5 weeks of ownership we have put less than 1000 miles on it. Last night the engine suddenly developed a really bad knock, I have some mechanical knowledge and believe it has spun a bearing on the crankshaft and the noise is the piston contacting the head. There were no warning signs, no engine management lights and gauges remained steady. There are still no fault codes. Researching today has led me to believe this is a relatively common fault on these engines where the bottom end fails.
The car was sold with a 6 month premium aftermarket warranty that covers quite an extensive list of things, but with a £5k claim limit.
A second hand replacement engine is £8k from a couple of different breakers and they say they are very hard to find.

I obviously will be contacting the warranty company on Monday morning but am holding out very little hope of success with it, I don’t believe they will pay for a replacement engine, instead only change the failed parts, I.e. the bearings and possibly the crank, not the piston that battered the head nor flush the metal filings all out of the system.

I understand I have held out on a lot of details that may be important but at the minute I am trying to figure out my options without upsetting too many people.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What are my options and what should I do? I have a feeling (though it’s just my feeling) that the dealer may try to push it all through the third party warranty who will deny the claim and I will be left with a £10k repair bill.

All advice and guidance is appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,
Paddy

redxl77

RMS Regular
The 6 months rule mentioned in this link may be of use. With the model of vehicle you bought having known issues with engines failing, perhaps that could help in your case also.

paddy1001

RMS Regular
OP
paddy1001
Range Rover by any chance?
Close, same type of vehicle but not that family. I actually had a deal nearly done on a Range Rover but talked myself out of it because of the horror stories around engine failures, I couldn’t settle myself that they would be reliable.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
If bought from a dealer you've 6 months by UK law for them to deal with any issues.

Basically any faults found within 6 months are deemed to have been there at the point of sale.
5 weeks - yeah, if a dealer purchase, I'd be knocking their door down!!

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
As said above, land it back at dealership, its their problem, try rejecting it you are borderline on the timescale. A quick call to your solicitor for advice will arm you well before contacting dealership. Park it out on road and get it recovered to dealership if your insurance has a breakdown policy

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
What he ^^ said, speak to the dealer, fixed is fixed, if it has spun a bearing the crank can be re ground amd new shells fitted. Between the dealer and the warranty, it needs fixed as it is not fit for purpose.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Oh how very RMS.....

Just speak to the dealer about it. Probably no need for the solicitor just yet.

PS it's highly unlikely that your piston is contacting your head.

If the big ends are completely f'd, then it is very likely.

Prime example of this here, where this guy is selling an engine where he claims big ends etc are fine....yet you can clearly see the witness marks where the piston has been fitting the head

What he ^^ said, speak to the dealer, fixed is fixed, if it has spun a bearing the crank can be re ground amd new shells fitted. Between the dealer and the warranty, it needs fixed as it is not fit for purpose.

If a bearing has spun in a rod, the rod must be replaced. And some cranks lend themselves better to regrinding than others. Some you simply do not regrind, you replace.

Last edited:

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Close, same type of vehicle but not that family. I actually had a deal nearly done on a Range Rover but talked myself out of it because of the horror stories around engine failures, I couldn’t settle myself that they would be reliable.
Shocking, my unit is beside a land rover boy and the yard is full of new shape range rovers, as for your 5k limit I wouldn’t be too disheartened just yet. 5k goes a brave way in an engine rebuild unless you’ve a lovely bit of daylight coming through the block.

Hopefully you get sorted will be interesting to see how it goes for future reference

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
If it’s a 3.0TDV6 in a disco/RRS then a fair assumption would be spun bearings or failed crank. Last I read up on it, replacement cranks were not available but that may have changed

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
smells like a Jaguar if it isnt a land rover!lol
To be fair- very little in the way of the Jag crankshaft are failing. Far and away the majority of these failing/failed cranks are fitted to Land Rovers.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
To be fair- very little in the way of the Jag crankshaft are failing. Far and away the majority of these failing/failed cranks are fitted to Land Rovers.
yes, true, think its the weight of land rovers putting extra strain on the engine. still wouldnt fancy a 3.0tdv6 jag in the drive just the same!

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
yes, true, think its the weight of land rovers putting extra strain on the engine. still wouldnt fancy a 3.0tdv6 jag in the drive just the same!
Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
If its a 3.0 or 2.7v6 peugeot/landrover/jaguar offering in a discovery or RRS etc some of the work can be expensive and intensive.

Ashley in the Moy does alot of these and ive done a couple. cant really advise more unless you spec model. However jag and LR are still denying theres any issue.

1670951780584.png

Not sure on which warretys cover what, but worth calling.

Last edited:

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
what sort of man hours does it take to remove and refit the body on one of these?. i take it there would be plenty of suffering with seized bolts as well.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
IMG_20221214_082304.jpg

Should have said nothing (Just a boost hose)

Also sorry Paddy, I realise how off topic I have been. Definitely leave it with the dealer or try and reject the vehicle. If the warranty doesn't cover the full amount, surely it's still up to them to see you right? Realistically when they take out the warranty packs, they are 'insuring' themselves for the following amount and anything above that is still their problem?

Last edited:

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Had two over 7 years. Two of the most reliable cars I've had to be honest!

paddy1001

RMS Regular
OP
paddy1001
Folks,
sorry for leaving the thread hanging, the car is back with the dealer and I will update on the eventual outcome when all is done and dusted.
The car is most definitely not from the JLR family, I was put off range rovers because of horror stories about reliability 😂
Paddy

paddy1001

RMS Regular
OP
paddy1001
So, time for an update.

I picked the car up today. The car, a 2016 BMW X5 with a full BMW service history has been fitted with a brand new engine, at zero cost to me. Paid for in full by the dealer who sold me the car.
My initial gut feeling on the dealer (born out of nothing only a general distrust of car dealers) was totally wrong, he couldn’t have done more to help me, he arranged pick up of the car at my house, he arranged a mechanic (highly regarded on here) to look at, assess, and repair the car, he gave me a loan car, he kept me informed me at every step of the way, calling me, sending texts and photo updates all the time. He also insisted on fitting a brand new engine to the car rather than a second hand one as in his words “I want it to be right”

This was customer service done right. At no stage did I have to argue with or harass or push the dealer to do things for me, he had it all covered from the beginning to the end, even following up afterwards to ensure I was happy with everything.

I am going to refrain from naming the dealership as I don’t know if he would want it publicised but safe to say I couldn’t be happier and would recommend him to anyone at all who asks.

Thanks everyone for the advice and input to the thread.

Paddy