EV Cars - Anyone selling or coming to the end of their PCP term.

johnjb

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo V50
I am seriously thinking about an EV car, i have searched in all the usual places for a suitable car.
By chance is anyone thinking of selling their EV , or coming to the end of a PCP term?
I would welcome any replies.

Thanks

davyk31

RMS Regular
Most of them end up at auctions where the dealers buy them. Very often the cost to buy at end of lease given by the lease company is way higher than they will achieve at auction which makes no sense but they chance their arm.

Its not an SUV but is a higher normal spacious car but I love my ID.3 and would happily buy it at the end of the lease if the price was sensible.
You would be better leasing one, buying one is setting fire to money, with a flamethrower. 2 years of Tesla ownership cost such a ridiculous amount of money.

Leasing one and not worrying about the ridiculous depreciation is the way to have one.
The lease company will also suffer the big depreciation so this may not really be a get out of jail free card but leasing would bring certainty as to the cost.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Whats the process to buy one?

We weren't given a choice. It was inspected and ended up in Arnold Clark near Birmingham a few days later.

I see it's still for sale (since October) and they've knocked 2 grand off the price 🙈

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
You would be better leasing one, buying one is setting fire to money, with a flamethrower. 2 years of Tesla ownership cost such a ridiculous amount of money.

Leasing one and not worrying about the ridiculous depreciation is the way to have one.

Buying any new car and selling it 2 years later is going to result in a similar outcome to be fair. Buying a used EV at £28k, keeping it for 2 years and trading it in is going to be far, far cheaper than any lease. eg. Tesla Model 3 LR is £800/month on a personal lease, 48 months. You can buy one 3 years old with low miles for <£25k and you've still a battery warranty. Even just taking 24 months of the lease in to consideration you'd pay near £20k.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The Mercedes EQC and Jaguar I-Pace are ridiculously good value now, absolutely brutal depreciation.

Spotted this one the other day. Some decrease and it's still not gone!

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 21.19.29.png

pkn

RMS Regular
Drives
Evora S / 159
It says 220 on screen but 180 really with no attempt at economy and all the heated things on.

That would be absolutely ideal for my wife's journeys. She does think it looks too sporty for her though as she's keen on another regular shaped SUV. Will have to arrange a test drive over at Hurst's, that will hopefully persuade her once she sees the interior and has a drive.

How have you found the reliability, I suppose a full Jaguar warranty is essential?

davyk31

RMS Regular
Depends on your view of electric cars. The prices have dropped back for sure as they also have for many ICE cars. That means for those who enjoy the electric drive that EVs can now offer excellent value and low running costs.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I’d love to see a EV vs ICE depreciation comparison. Any of the lists I’ve seen have been filled with JLR products and EVs but that’s new high end expensive cars with insurance challenges and not really looking at what’s happening in the normal second hand car market.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
TRAITOR 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously though, before going EV, think about any long journeys you do and the amount of planning required to do those trips etc. Had a couple of friends have EV's and hated every minute of it, also have friends who love theirs.

davyk31

RMS Regular
There are no shortage of chargers now all over the country and increasing all the time. They aren’t cheap but then neither is putting £60 of petrol into your car for the same trip.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
TRAITOR 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously though, before going EV, think about any long journeys you do and the amount of planning required to do those trips etc. Had a couple of friends have EV's and hated every minute of it, also have friends who love theirs.
If you bought a small EV with 100 mile range you're going to hate it as even a run up and down the M1 will leave you nervous, but if you purchase something with ≈250 miles you'll be fine for 99% of your driving.

I just did a 400 mile round trip to Rosslare and back, and although I had to do a small amount of research to plan my charging stops, it really wasn't any more hassle or slower than using ICE. I stopped at Tesla Dublin on the way down for a snack and charged up to 100%, this took about 20 minutes whilst I ate some sammiches and poked around the new shape Model 3, stopped at a station outside Rosslare to wait for the boat with the precious cargo onboard, plugging into an ESB Rapid charger for 5-10 minutes whilst we waited. Collected the cargo and headed back, stopping once again at Tesla Dublin to top up enough to get home and also get the precious cargo out for a wee walk and a pee, then headed home.

In an ICE vehicle I'd have stopped after Dublin to stretch my legs and get a snack and on the way back I would have had to stop for fuel anyway. So in total it probably took 20 minutes extra over 400 miles in an EV, but cost me less than £40, even using public chargers.

So whilst it's inconvenient to pre plan a little on the rare occasion most of us will have to travel such a long trip, the cost saving not only for the trip, but also the other 364 days of the year is more than worth it.

If however you're out driving 200+miles every day, then I don't think an EV is for you, just yet.