F1 2014 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Storm

Banned
Alonso & Button it is for next year at McLaren.
jimmy-fallon-elmo-happy-dance-saturday-night-live.gif

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Wasn't expecting to hear anything until the press event later, but it's great news. Feel a bit wick for Magnussen, but hey, I'm looking forward to seeing Button v Alonso!

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
What a turnaround!

Glad to hear it.

It makes sense with Button's Honda connection plus Alonso doesn't want a young upstart as a team mate. At least Jenson will know he's the number 2 driver and will play the team game.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Magnussen just hasn't done enough in my opinion. Still think he deserves a place on the grid.

Pressure is on McLaren & Honda to make the MP4-30 competitive.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Said it previously no brainer with his honda background if the car engine package is right you could be looking at a 2015 world champ. Still one of the top drivers on the grid and his head will be in a better place after a season without his dad

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Honestly thought they would go the other way. Button has had his day, will contribute nothing that Alonso will not be doing better anyway. Time to let some new blood in.

As far as I can tell, it came down to commercials, and internal political procrastination within the team. Honda probably had a say too.

Still, good news for Button obviously (y)

stevyg

RMS Regular
I agree svensktoppen. They have a great line up but Mclaren now have the 2 grandpas of F1 in their team. Button & Alonso could very well retire soon, maybe even next year, then what? I don't think its the best move long-term for them but I'm definitely happy for Button. I thought K-Mag showed he can race very well when they give him the right car so its a bit unfortunate for him.

I was hopeful for Mclaren for 2015 but now I dunno. They couldn't complete a lap at testing and to me they've thrown away 1/3 of the off-season by trying to decide who their driver line-up is, only now can the drivers have their input into the inner-workings of the car they will be driving next year.

Last edited:

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
I was almost certain JB was out the door, salary chopped in half down to only 6 mill - poor guy lol
Hopefully Kevin gets a chance to get a seat in the future, he did quite well for it being his first year in the formula after all

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
What's the betting that Kevin Magnussen was kept so that after Button's 1 year contract is up, he'll step back up to the number 2 seat? I would say that's what's going on here to keep all parties happy.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, as far as I can tell it came down to politics and commercials. Surprise :innocent:

Kevin was not able to put up quite the right commercial package. This might change :grinning:

Also not looking like that great a deal for Button to be honest, and like @stevyg said, it leaves McL in a strange position when it comes to future driver line-up. But hey, sure Honda had a say too, Button has links there since last time.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Jenson's is a two-year deal, Fernando's is two with the option of a third.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Could be- McLaren are that odd its hard to decipher what all their terminology means. "multi-year deals"

"Ron Speak" was being used to full effect yesterday.

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
Most experienced driver line up on the grid, arguably the fastest driver in F1, one thing is certain, there'll be no wasted points for Macca next year!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.