F10 535D or F30 330D?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

johnb740

RMS Regular
Drives
X3 3.0 SD
This is the car for you!!

£46000 new.

The worlds fastest production diesel saloon.... Alpina D3 Bi-turbo

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/frankfurt-motor-show/new-alpina-d3-bi-turbo-unveiled
Full review
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/alpina/d3

Granted its £10k more expensive than a standard F30 330d MSport but those m performance parts posted above wouldnt be long in eating up that £10k. The M Performance wheels are the guts of £4000 IIRC.

And the Alpina D3 is in a different league of performance compared to a 535D or the 330D.

frankfurt-gallery-2-272.jpg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
The other halfs father got the 330d m sport x drive recently, estoril blue with that performance kit and 20" alloys. Stunning car with power to match.

I had to Google xDrive there, I didn't realise BMW did a 4WD variant in their new cars. Sounds interesting.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I had to Google xDrive there, I didn't realise BMW did a 4WD variant in their new cars. Sounds interesting.
They offered it in E46 3/5 Series in USA, Canada and Europe. Always thought it was weird it was never offered in the UK. 5/6 Series in Canada are only available in XDrive I think

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Just looked into it didnt realise the E46 system was different, Google seems to suggest both xi and XDrive are the same in E9x models though?

About the Canada XDrive:
As of the 2010-12 model years, BMW Canada has even stopped offering RWD trims if an xDrive counterpart is available for its 5 Series, 6 Series, and 7 Series cars, a major reversal from the 2009 model year and prior where only the BMW 528i and 535i were available with xDrive. BMW Canada's switch has surprised some observers, as AWD was "once the sole purview of Audi with a few odd-duck Mercedes mixed in, the switch to AWD is so strong that many luxury models are now predominantly AWD, though the 650 is the first high-end sport coupe defection among BMWs.

johnb740

RMS Regular
Drives
X3 3.0 SD
They offered it in E46 3/5 Series in USA, Canada and Europe. Always thought it was weird it was never offered in the UK. 5/6 Series in Canada are only available in XDrive I think

BMW did offer a 4x4 version of the E34 in the 525IX in RHD for the UK etc. I have one for winter hooning. They are very rare as the extra cost of the 4x4 system made them alot more expensive than the standard 525i. They only sold about 600 into the UK and Ireland.

The extra cost for re-engineering the 4x4 cars to RHD must not have been profitable considering the low build numbers. This is probably why they never gave the option on RHD E46's.

It must now be easier to incorporate the 4x4 system on the new cars (probably designed from the start to be 4x4) or else BMW can now justify the extra engineering cost as maybe they forsee larger sales numbers for 4x4 models in RHD.

Aidan316i

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34 525i Spo
Going to half side with John here, and say go for the B3, twin turbo straight six petrol that'll still do 45mpg or so, and isnt a fortune a year in road tax

You'll be doing well to see another Alpina over here, only know of around 10 or so in NI & the South (both 3's & 5's in various years)

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Going to half side with John here, and say go for the B3, twin turbo straight six petrol that'll still do 45mpg or so, and isnt a fortune a year in road tax

You'll be doing well to see another Alpina over here, only know of around 10 or so in NI & the South (both 3's & 5's in various years)

Lol, Johns suggesting a D3 not a B3! :-D

But I agree, B3 would be fantastic!

Aidan316i

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34 525i Spo
Hence why I said i'd half side with John lol

Of course the other option is an approved used D5/B5 Bi-Turbo......in Touring form:

BMW-Alpina-B5-Biturbo-Touring-R-ckansicht-Fahrt-13-fotoshowImage-f7e69e85-489869.jpg

johnb740

RMS Regular
Drives
X3 3.0 SD
I suggested a D3 because it is in and around the same price as the used 535D and new F30 330D Msport (in the same ball park)

A B3 or D5/B5 are in a far higher price bracket and therefore hold no merit in this discussion, no matter how good or bad they are.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
The other halfs father got the 330d m sport x drive recently, estoril blue with that performance kit and 20" alloys. Stunning car with power to match.

Out of curiosity do you think MV2's would fit the F30?

A friend of mine has one with the M-pack and the big brakes, etc etc, but is looking some winter wheels. I need to find out if the MV2's will fit without running across the country just to try them

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.