F31 battery/stop start issues

mightymetro

RMS Regular
Drives
F31 320D, 91 MX5
I have an ongoing fault recently in a 2014 F31 3 series. Symptoms are that when it stops, it labours restarting and off late just dies. Needs boosted to get going again (have just bought one of the mini booster packs to keep me on the road). There's no obvious pattern that I've noted where it would happen after a series of stop starts.

Starting from cold including in the frost is no problem.

Have tested battery when she's cold and get over 12V so it seems to be healthy enough. Have tested voltage across the battery when running and get over 15v so alternator is definitely working and charging.

Have thrown it on a computer and no obvious error faults.

Anyone encountered anything similar? Really could do without a trip to a BM main dealer for service. Might it still just be general battery health, is stop start very hard on them on a run? Id put a battery in it as a precautionary test but looks like £300+ for the privelege

DreamTheater

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Civic
Have you check the battery Earth strap. Had an issue with a car that randomly wouldn't start then fire up no problem. Was a dodgy earth strap.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
15v is too high. You should only really be seeing 14.2/14.4.

Halfords batteries on the trade card are very reasonably priced, and they have a great ni hassle 5(?) year warranty too. Shouldn’t be near £300.

mightymetro

RMS Regular
OP
mightymetro
Drives
F31 320D, 91 MX5
Can anyone recommend me a garage in Craigavon/Lisburn/Banbridge area that could take a look at this for me? Have been muddling through with trying to remember to disable S/S when I start the car and carrying a jump start pack, but the car shat itself in the MOT hall last night. Need to get it sorted and preferably avoid a main dealer.

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
Can anyone recommend me a garage in Craigavon/Lisburn/Banbridge area that could take a look at this for me? Have been muddling through with trying to remember to disable S/S when I start the car and carrying a jump start pack, but the car shat itself in the MOT hall last night. Need to get it sorted and preferably avoid a main dealer.
@Matthew97

Matthew97

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Drop me a message, more than happy to have a look for you. Just outside Portadown

Sham1

RMS Regular
As above, probaly starter or leads. If the battery voltage is low, stop start would be disabled automatically. just As an additional check, is it the correct type of battery fitted? AGM or EFB normally for stop start. These normally charge at a slightly higher voltage than a standard wet battery as well, so 14.8 or 15V on a cheap meter wouldn’t sound out of the ordinary.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything

Colm Hyland at Banbridge Motor Works is who I'd be taking it to.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
I've coded mine and a couple of mates cars to have auto stop start disabled on start up, except in eco mode. If you know someone who could sort you out. Few other handy things can be done too at the same time