Fast cars for under 21?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ev206

RMS Regular
Saxo VTS Curb weight 920kg
106 GTI Curb weight 961kg
Difference = 41kg
now 1 litre of petrol weigh's roughly 1kg , might it just be that the saxo was weighed with an empty tank and the 106 was weighed with a near full tank ???

;)

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
i couldn't give a fook mate, its in black n white wherever you look, google it!

Harry

RMS Regular
OP
Harry
Drives
V8
LOL, cheers for all your help lads, got myself a nice quote on a vts (just becuase i prefer the look over the 106), so im off hunting!

Thanks

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
fatboyslim said:
LOL, cheers for all your help lads, got myself a nice quote on a vts (just becuase i prefer the look over the 106), so im off hunting!

Thanks

Who with???

sexymanda

Banned
Drives
turbo ctr,Eclips
yup fatboy you would be correct, alan from hillsborough , lives next door to my cousin insured a vts at 19 for 2 grand :grinning:

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Ev206 said:
Saxo VTS Curb weight 920kg
106 GTI Curb weight 961kg
Difference = 41kg
now 1 litre of petrol weigh's roughly 1kg , might it just be that the saxo was weighed with an empty tank and the 106 was weighed with a near full tank ???

;)

106GTI and VTS are as near in performance as makes no difference. Same engine, same gearbox, same idea.

Of course there are weight differences, and you may well be able to show figures that are 0.3 secs quicker, but that makes bugger all difference in the real world.

Besides, everyone knows the GTI has more sporting pedigree ;)

Taz007

RMS Regular
Drives
E92
endsleigh arent bad - just did a few quotes for myself there.

Rik

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E46 M3
Ev206 said:
there the same car, same engine, same gearbox same everything bar the interior and a few body panels. Thats all that needs said so back to topic

Soz Sir sax, but that is 100% gauranteed fact

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
Rik 106 said:
Ev206 said:
there the same car, same engine, same gearbox same everything bar the interior and a few body panels. Thats all that needs said so back to topic

rik, no harm to you but this is an argument in a lot of forums, always the same, 106 drivers stand by their car, and saxo drivers stand by theirs. (LOL its playground material)

Someone stated in the real world that half a second or thereabouts means nothing, but in fact, thats about a car lenth in front, by the time i reach 100 theoritically i should be roundabout 2 car lengths in front.

Where does the weight come from on the 106, is it due to heavier materials......genuinely interested if anyone actually knows the facts.

Theres more rumours about than osama, suspension setup is also said to be different allowing the saxo to take of a little quicker? Any truth in this?

I'm not fussed either way but would be interested to know the facts and not just random bull$hit.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Sir Sax said:
Rik 106 said:
Ev206 said:

Someone stated in the real world that half a second or thereabouts means nothing, but in fact, thats about a car lenth in front, by the time i reach 100 theoritically i should be roundabout 2 car lengths in front.

Where does the weight come from on the 106, is it due to heavier materials......genuinely interested if anyone actually knows the facts.

your misinterpreting what i meant by the '0.3 / 0.5' sec difference. Its silly comparing cars on paper when it comes to this margin. No one can get the same 0-60 everytime in their car. I'll guarantee you if you put a 106 GTI and a VTS against each other with different drivers the results will be all over the place... It all depends on how the driver launchs it imo, and when there are two cars of equal power and roughly equal weight it can go either way. You can't just say the VTS is quicker cos you read it is '0.3' seconds quicker to 60 ;)

Pug must heavier because of all the expensive material :lol:

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
I'm in total agreement with you there, just trying to state the facts, thats all.

Jason MacQ

RMS Regular
Theres about 6 different MM ECUs shared between the vts and gti. All slightly different. Makes it a bugger to swap the engines about.

Smoore

RMS Regular
sexymanda said:
yup fatboy you would be correct, alan from hillsborough , lives next door to my cousin insured a vts at 19 for 2 grand :grinning:
whos he insured with?
im paying 2.5k insuring a 1.6 16v corsa sport at 18,1years ncb, with quinn direct!

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Just to add further confusion into the arguement. I thought a standard 106GTi was quicker than a standard VTS saxo.

But but but (everyone hits quick reply with avengance) it says differently in manufacturers figures.

Balls, I say to that. Real life examples will show the differences for cars which have such close power to weight ratios. Anyone ever consider that the Pug may have been tested with 4 people in the car and a boot full of luggage which could account for the varying performance figures. Kerb weights again as Ev206 said, could be the difference between empty and full tanks, or a fat driver.

Why would they do this? Soften up the figures for lower insurance groupings maybe/help sales appeal to younger drivers - who knows.

Anyway, bar the crap driving position/pedalbox and low life of perishable parts these are great cars. And the fact you can buy a reasonably fresh one for sub-2k it has to be bargainsome fun.

Andy

vza

one possibility on why the 106 is slightly heavier is that dash,the 106's just seemed to be chunkier than the saxo's,either they are fun little cars,if only the build quality was better

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
I like 106 gti's better! Something to do with the heritage! I would be prouder to own a peugeot than a ****ron.

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
vts is still quicker no matter how you look at it.

The best 0-60, 0-100 will always be quicker in the vts :grinning: whatever there heritage. Biased muthafvkers!

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
How come? Because of factory figures?

How about figures from Evo magazine's test results:

Saxo VTS: 60 in 7.6 and 127mph top speed
106 GTi: 60 in 7.4 and 127mph top speed.

I think I could pull conflicting results from google all day :p

Andy

Ev206

RMS Regular
Exactly the reason I decided to get a GTI and not a VTS, saxo drivers will always have the barry boy factor as shown throughout this thread. Saxo's will always be faster especially if they have neon washer jets lol

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
From that comment would it be fair to say that the 106s are worth that wee bit more?

Andy

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.