Foam organiser/Inserts for tool chest?

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
Can you buy foam inserts for the likes of the red halfords tool chests?
Something that you cut around the shape of your tools and it keeps them organised and steady?
What is everyone else using?

Like this
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

blacklightningcivic

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Civic
I bought the kitchen drawer liners from Ikea for mine. Does an ok job means they don't move about but not as good as the foam above.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
My Halfords chests have the rubber lining, so as above, they don't move about, but I'd love some purpose built inserts that the likes of Beta have.

thewhitevan

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus Eco, nova
I have rubber grip in my drawers, comes in rolls from b and q etc. but totally pointless as I just pile all my tools on top of chest ha

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I would like some of these for spanners as all mine are thrown in one drawer.
For sockets, I just cut/take the lids off the boxes they come in...

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
High density foam

Camping roll mats, child's play mats, loads of places to get the foam. If you search for tool control foam you will find all the very expensive options.

I did mine with kids/yoga play mats. No pics to hand, but I did the same for my case for all the vape stuff.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411679631.369094.jpg

Draw around the items and use a scalpel to cut the appropriate layers. Alternatively, in the RAF we used to use a 240v hot knife to make precision cuts with sharp edges.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
As said, you can do it yourself or find expensive options.

We use a company who make flight cases and custom foam inserts for work to suit whatever we need.

Mark_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 90 XS

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
I remember seeing that someone had laid their tools out in a form, covered with something then used expanding foam.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I remember seeing that someone had laid their tools out in a form, covered with something then used expanding foam.

Spray wax or wd40.

But you need to make a frame with a lid to make them in so as the foam is expanding it pushes down and around the shape of the tools.

It also takes considerable amounts of cleaning up.

I have tried it and didn't like it. Too many air pockets and holes and of course the hearing aid beige colour.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I'm not OCD, I'm just too old to remember where me feckin tools are and they rust if I stand in front of the toolbox, dribbling..;)
I should go and take pictures of my toolkit as it is now, the OCDers that are on here heads would explode.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
I'm not OCD, I'm just too old to remember where me feckin tools are and they rust if I stand in front of the toolbox, dribbling..;)

Organised chaos is the best system I find. Just never go to @gav525 s garage when he's working on a car, looks like he's just thrown a grenade in his toolkit and the tools are just strewn across the garage floor :p

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I do that to a certain extent just to keep the work moving but then when I can't find something, I have to have a bit of a tidy up just to muster all the tools so I can find the one(s) I'm missing..

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
I struggled to find the right foam for my tools and tool box but then i came across Shadow Foam Easy Peel.
Halfords let me down and so did a few other 'foam providers' - utter rubbish stuff.

These guys know their stuff: The Official Shadow Foam ® - Online Store - DIY Custom Tool Organiser

Recommend Easy Peel foam, but then again if you have a toolbox that meets their inserts - Shadow Foam Inserts | Toolbox and Case Foam Inserts
You'll be sorted, don't even need to cut it for dimensions in your toolbox. Got mine a few weeks back. Looks amazing.

Agree! Shadow foam easy peel is amazing. I’ve my bike tools all done. Normal DIY tools are in a toolbox in a complete mess

B01ABA94-E904-44E6-B869-D5935E2B6B07.jpeg
587D0A32-0072-474D-8877-8F31E16B7ADB.jpeg
18A27EF2-638A-41AD-B9ED-FE2EFDCEAD9E.jpeg
261202BA-E25F-4A47-B78C-29766EB04BE0.jpeg
CDEB7C2D-885D-4545-892A-0C82764AFAB8.jpeg

stevyg

RMS Regular
High density foam

Camping roll mats, child's play mats, loads of places to get the foam. If you search for tool control foam you will find all the very expensive options.

I did mine with kids/yoga play mats. No pics to hand, but I did the same for my case for all the vape stuff.

View attachment 67381

Draw around the items and use a scalpel to cut the appropriate layers. Alternatively, in the RAF we used to use a 240v hot knife to make precision cuts with sharp edges.
Aircraft pliers changed my life!