Fog light wiring?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Before I start... I hate electrical work, it drives me bananas... therefore the following simpleton installation has me scratching my head... anyway...

Anyone got a schematic or wiring diagram to install a rear foglight?

Ive a wire running from the headlights to the +ve terminal of the foglight switch then what appears to be two wires (ground and accessory) heading directly to the foglight.

The light doesn't work, this is because I think the ground needs to be connected to the actual ground and not straight to the light from the switch, but Im not really sure :confounded:.

Any ideas?

Sorry is the above is confusing, Im confused and detest electrical work. Give me a socket and nut and bolt anyday :p

Mark_C

RMS Regular
The two wires going to the foglight will be +ve and -ve I would have thought?

You need to supply a switched +ve to the light, and take the ground from the car body or the same source as your other rear lights if its handy.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
ok ok, you should have a relay here too, i will try to explain with words lol

You have the switch in the cabin, one of the pins in this switch will go to the sidelights ciruit, one is for earth, and one is to go the relay.

The relay will have 4 points on it. One goes to the live terminal of the battery, one goes to earth, one is coming from the switch and one is going to the foglight positive wire. And the negative wire is going directly to earth.

Wiring it up this way means that the fog light can only be switched on when the sidelights or normal lights are on.

That is as clear as mud, but i don't think it will pass mot if the fog light can be switched on without having the lights on

Mark_C

RMS Regular
shouldnt need a relay for a rear foglight? doesnt draw a lot of current

need to do my foglight for the impending day of doom (MOT)

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Yeh i also need to sort one. Where can i buy a subtle small light that is enough to pass MOT ?

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I was also told of a fail cause there was no indication light beside the switch in the cabin...So do ya need to fire a LED in beside it ?

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Im using the inside tail lights on the MR2 as fog lights - she has 2 sets of tail/brake light, so I'm going to wire the inside two up as fogs

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I am just saying the way in should be wired up ;)

Errr, yeah needs to have a indication of some kind, just get an illumating switch.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Needs to be certain distance off the ground (250mm+ IIRC) and also has to have illuminated switch or icon on the dash to show its on.

Never thought of a relay, will take a close look to see if there's one in place :confounded:

I understand what your saying roverspeed, and thats the way it seems to be wired but still no light :worried: Will check relays, if theres none in place theres the problem (y)

However, this would complicate it for me, Ideally id rather just have it hard wired without any relays but the switch has three terminals which is causing the most confusion.

The +ve is run from the headlight loom which means the fog doesn't come on till the headlights are on anyway... ive checked this by running the +ve from the switch directly to the light and then connecting a wire from te light to the bodywork and it worked spot on...

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
there are 3 terminals because one of them goes to the live source, one goes to earth and one goes to the positive of the fog.

The reason there is an earth on the switch is, it must be an illuminated switch.

Where abouts is newtownards(ish) if ur not too far i could call up sometime, just an excuse to see the RX7 :laughing:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
RX7 is gone matey... Jaystar77 has it now :worried:

Right, yeah the switch needs to be illuminated so I think I understand now :grinning:

Anything more than two wires has me scratching my head big style lol. Will have a go on Sat and hopefully that sorts it (y)

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Im using the inside tail lights on the MR2 as fog lights - she has 2 sets of tail/brake light, so I'm going to wire the inside two up as fogs

this is the best and tidiest way of doing it! (y)

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
ha ha. Jaystar rightly goes through cars, thats who i got my golf off.

I have to get rid of the god awful looking fog light that Stevie wonder and Ray charles fitted to the Eunos.

I don't suppose Eunos roadsters have any such neat fix as the mr2's?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I know I can put the foglight into the drivers side reversing light, might be able to do that with the MX5? Deffo a neat job.

Theres red led bulbs available that are certainly bright enough and pass MOT's on the mainland but I didn't want to risk it incase the spread of light or clear lense wasn't appropriate.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Any rear fog will do and just hook a switch from anything as long as it has an illuminated light to say its on... But yes it would do rightly (y)

Altho if you know someone who's handy with car electrics just get them to wire up the 2 inside rear lights to come on as fogs leaving the outter 2 lights as brake lights, thats what i done and looked far neater :grinning:

Oh n i dont mean that to sound as if you've only got 2 brakes lights all the time, its only when the fogs are engaged is when your down to 2 brake lights (y)

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Make something up to attach it to the towing eye on the back of the skyline ?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
HAHA, be careful tho, some sad c-unit said my rear foglight was 1.3 cm too close to the ground (on a standard bumper on my 1st Skyline) and failed me for it...

Think it was just cause it was its first MOT and he was on his period :mad:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Me thinks a ugly bracket will have to be made from that wee towing eye half way up and around the bumper then as mine is on coilovers.....Then when i get home can get Mr HackSaw out...

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Any rear fog will do and just hook a switch from anything as long as it has an illuminated light to say its on... But yes it would do rightly (y)

Altho if you know someone who's handy with car electrics just get them to wire up the 2 inside rear lights to come on as fogs leaving the outter 2 lights as brake lights, thats what i done and looked far neater :grinning:

Oh n i dont mean that to sound as if you've only got 2 brakes lights all the time, its only when the fogs are engaged is when your down to 2 brake lights (y)

this will bring the bulb fail light on in many cars, watch out!

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom

I like sound of that if its done right,,,,anyone up for the challenge for a crate of beer ?

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Ok. Got myself a switch with LED with 3 tabs on it for wires. And a rear fog light. Rough ideas how to wire this in ? Nothing fancy, Just slapped on the back of the car on a bracket and will just turn on when needed not depending on sidelights etc

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Plenty of +ve's available on the back of the fuse box usually. Mine was wired to the headlight switch though as the MOT requires the fogs only to come on when the side/headlights are on.

Re three tabs. One goes to earth, one to the +ve terminal on the fog and the last to +ve (or headlight loom).

Earth the fog anywhere and connect the +ve from the switch and hey presto.

Also, rear fogs need to be more than 250mm from the road surface and they must be on drivers side or centre, they also must not be closer than 100mm to the brake lights.

I done all this and for the MOT the guy never even checked ffs, but better safe than sorry.

Christopher

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline GTR
@ eagar

you could simply turn one of ur reversing lights into a rear fog light. worked for me. because by law you only need one reversing light

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.