Genesis Overheating!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
The dual mono is overheating, it actually cut out last wk and wen i went to change the fuse i roastd my hand on the amp casing

Since then ive just kept it down low and it warms up but nothin like roastin.

Remember somewhere of some1 sayin gensis are prone to overheatin???

Gains r down at level 3 outta the 4 iirc, but they're defo not up flat out as she kept chuckin fuses wen it was.

Advice....mr shaft lol

Pete

-Pete-

RMS Regular
well i knowit goes without saying but NEVER EVER run an amp flat out and the gain turned all the way up ;)

theres the first thing and im not surprised its getting so hot at that stage! have you idea what voltage its getting when your playing at full tilt? you should try and get a multimeter across the terminals (power and earth of the amp) and see what its reading. if its very low it can cause excess heat in the amp as well as popping fuses.

is the amp covered up?

ive never personally heard of genny amps overheating badly. they have excellent reviews although yes i have heard of them get hot but then again nearly all amps get pretty warm when run hard for a while.

i would also go and reset your gains and your max volume level although if its not loud enough for you it may be time for a new comps amp or better fronts im afraid to say!

Krisclio ( SQD )

RMS Trader
Drives
Megane dci130
we fitted a genesis five channel to a fiesta a while back and it overheated like mad. the owner said it always had done that. the fix was turning the gains up a bit! lol never had seen that before.

Peje

RMS Regular
OP
Peje
Drives
GTI CS45
think the gains would b a little over half but tbh im goin from memory.

ive just resorted to keepin it down low until i get the new tweeters and get the proper setup from AA.

hadda get back to iain bout the tweeters and tool kit for the amp.

Pete

Peje

RMS Regular
OP
Peje
Drives
GTI CS45
oh and @buff its runnin a 12" diamond M6 DVC @1ohm

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Ive heard previously that DM dont like to be bridged. Its unclear about whether your bridging the channels and then showing it the 1ohm which is a massive no no as you are showing each channel 1/2 ohm which it certainly won't like, or you are just using one channel per voice coil which even still is running the DM pretty hard, they werent really designed to run subs.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
well hopefully its being wired to show one ohm and then being wired to the amp! the fact youare loading it down so low is a good sign of why its overheating though too. amps will heat up when your attempting to make more power out of them at lower impedances, its just what happens. i take it the sub is a dual 4 ohm sub. means your stuck with it at two or eight ohm for the amp.
it could only be 1 ohm load if it has dual 2 ohm coils in it and your running it parallel.

pablo

RMS Moderator
looking at the website it isnt. Im going to assume the sub is a dual 2ohm. I would run this in 4Ohm mode (coils in series). this will still give 500wrms plenty for a diamond sub.

who told u to run it at 1Ohm they need shot :p

-Pete-

RMS Regular
pablo said:
who told u to run it at 1Ohm they need shot :p

:laughing: hahaha!

well i wouldnt go that far but yes it wasnt the smartest thing to do. im not 100% up on the spec of those genesis amps although if theyre not designed to like runnning that low then its not a bit of wonder the fuses are popping and you could fry an egg on the heatsink.

as pablo says if its a dual 2 ohm voice coiled sub then run them in series and get a nice healthy 4 ohm load on the amp and it will run it fine. readjust the gains to suit and dont touch them again. as i said before, if its still not loudenough for you at this point, dont try turning the gain up more!!! its time for a either a more powerful amp or more cone area, or even something like a bass cube.

my phoenix gold titanium 1000.2 puts out over 1000 wrms at 4 ohms, it will let you load it with a 2 ohm load but it means the fans have to be on that little bit more to help keep it cool. its a class a/b amp so its plenty power hungry. a lot of amps are like this and i would say its the same for the genisis ones. although they can be run down to a lower impedance , they will need extra cooling to keep them stable and not pop!! its just like your computer processor, it needs more cooling when its running flat out or working hard! (y)

pablo

RMS Moderator
just changing to 4Ohm will sort it out I reckon. If not take the guys up on their offer and get them to take a look.

Peje

RMS Regular
OP
Peje
Drives
GTI CS45
its a dual 2ohm sub and this is how i was told to wire it by every iirc, aswell as iain.

Thats wot happens wen u buy from AA, im havin probs and they dont just sit back n say nothin they help out!!! cheers iain ill give u a ring and sort somethin out for callin up.

Cheers, Pete

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
So let me get this straight, they told you to bridge a Dual mono and run it at 1ohm? I doubt that.Or did they tell you to run each channel to a coil? Even if your doing that it still doesnt suprise me its getting hot.

Audio Advice Iain

Drives
Zafira GSi
Peje said:
its a dual 2ohm sub and this is how i was told to wire it by every iirc, aswell as iain.

Thats wot happens wen u buy from AA, im havin probs and they dont just sit back n say nothin they help out!!! cheers iain ill give u a ring and sort somethin out for callin up.

Cheers, Pete

Eh? ^o)

Call to the shop Pete and we'll have a look

Peje

RMS Regular
OP
Peje
Drives
GTI CS45
Audio Advice Iain said:
Eh? ^o)

Call to the shop Pete and we'll have a look

was a compliment iain lol

was considerin rewiring it one vc to each mono.

Pete

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
wow if you were running that amp like that for any amount of time Im very impressed it stood up to it. 1/2 ohm per channel when they are only rated to 2ohm? I know it got extremely hot and blew fuses but nothing inside blew, testament to genesis build!

Peje

RMS Regular
OP
Peje
Drives
GTI CS45
how r u gettin half ohm? would it not b 1ohm?

not sure bout how the maths work wit dual monos, tbh i havent turned it up since a day after i put it in cos i blew the tweeters the next mornin!

Krisclio ( SQD )

RMS Trader
Drives
Megane dci130
a dual mono is like a stereo amp, if it is stable at, say, 2 ohm, stereo, or per channel, then if you bridge it it will be stable at twice that, in this case 4 ohm.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.