Gilera DNA 50

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

petemotox

RMS Member
Hey folks, bought myself a wee DNA50 a couple of months back for a trip to Silverstone in August lol

Been having a few issues with her and just wondering if anyone on here has much ped knowledge?

As it stands today I think I've got her running, but the next thing will be how to get the best performance out of her.

Variator/rollers or go for a sports piston/cylinder or even 70cc kit etc..

She wasn't pulling me up hills and occasionally not getting petrol there but I had her striped today and found that the carb boots were both a little loose, maybe this was affecting power and the vacuum for opening the fuel petcock? Anyways, tightened everything up and she was pulling me up hills all of a sudden :eek:

The belt seems loose too, although I know jack ***** about CVT

petemotox

RMS Member
OP
petemotox
She's not running again too! Piece of ***** :p New petrol pump ordered!

It'll be grand, I done it on my 600 years ago but blasted down the M6. It'll be a tad more relaxed this time, although I may get some sort of locking mechanism for the throttle hahaha

warren

RMS Photographer
I tried to drive to Portrush from Carrickfergus on a 125.... got so bored by the time I'd got to Larne that I turned round and got the big bike then went to portrush lol you must have a lot more patience than me!

I'm sure you'll get there eventually though, just need to make sure it ups its game a bit in terms of reliability haha

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
What are your travel plans @petemotox ? i'm just curious when you're leaving and all that.

we're heading on the thursday morning ferry from Dublin, planning to be at Silverstone about 5.30 or 6 ish then leaving early monday morning for lunchtime ferry.

petemotox

RMS Member
OP
petemotox
Stenaline ferry dublin - holyhead on the thurs at 8am I think and home on the tues afternoon

Where are ya's camping? We're going for woodlands. Also, we got the ferry a bit cheaper by emailing groupDOTtravel@stenalineDOTcom

Dave..

RMS Regular
I rode a Suzuki AP50 in 1978 to the NW200 with my mates on their FSIE's and we thought we were the dogs b@llocks :grinning:

Looking back on it we were mad.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I went to many a rally and rock night on my TZR50* with L plates and tent etc on the back.

*Yamaha released them for a couple of years around 2004

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
I done the north west on my old AR50 (with 90cc kit, bored to 98cc) and the bleedin thing siezed on the way home and gave me gravel rash on my arse.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Stenaline ferry dublin - holyhead on the thurs at 8am I think and home on the tues afternoon

Where are ya's camping? We're going for woodlands. Also, we got the ferry a bit cheaper by emailing groupDOTtravel@stenalineDOTcom

Whittlebury, 5 minutes walk from Silverstone. Haven't booked ferry yet, what did it cost you? I think Nutt quoted me 116 return leaving thursday morning coming home monday afternoon. Need to get that done actually...

Here's the camp, think it's £36 a head for 4 nights.

MOTO Grand Prix - Whittlebury Park

petemotox

RMS Member
OP
petemotox
The Gilera runs again, ended up being the fuel pump. Although I replaced the fuel petcock (there was petrol in the vacuum pipe) and a couple of holy pipes (praise the lord!!)

Will get some miles on her now and see how reliable she is :eek:

petemotox

RMS Member
OP
petemotox
Hmmmmm..... She failed on an outing again lol when she's going she's great. Vacuum from carb doesn't seem to be strong/consistent, may strip and clean again.

I may have to change bike in July hahaha

Dave..

RMS Regular
Hmmmmm..... She failed on an outing again lol when she's going she's great. Vacuum from carb doesn't seem to be strong/consistent, may strip and clean again.

Gilera's were never known for being reliable.

petemotox

RMS Member
OP
petemotox
It was a heart buy, anyone can buy a Honda/Yam/Suzuki etc.. I may well be trading her in though (only when I'm beat though :eek:)

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V

Fingers crossed you get it sorted, hopefully something simple. Who's your nearest Gilera dealer? Worth maybe giving them a call?

petemotox

RMS Member
OP
petemotox
Nah, A roads the whole way :grinning:

I know the issue, the fuel petcock keeps closing due to a lack of vacuum, which comes from the engine side of the carb, so it's a strange one.

Had a couple of successful outings since that last failure. Taking her to Belfast in the next week so that'll be the decider.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Nah, A roads the whole way :grinning:

I know the issue, the fuel petcock keeps closing due to a lack of vacuum, which comes from the engine side of the carb, so it's a strange one.

Had a couple of successful outings since that last failure. Taking her to Belfast in the next week so that'll be the decider.
@petemotox
Is there no `work round` for changing the pet cock? The Kawasaki gpz`s have the same problem.

petemotox

RMS Member
OP
petemotox
What can I say.. the 50cc beast made it there and home in one piece :grinning:

A5 in Wales was top craic, I had to wait for the 125's on more than one occasion :eek:

A bit of drafting was required when hitting some of those hills and a couple of 10%/11% hills had me assist her with the right leg but it was an awesome trip. The variator outer pulley broke a week before the trip, I'm glad it did as that would have been game over during the trip. Luckily I got my hands on one the day before the trip and she never failed me!

petemotox

RMS Member
OP
petemotox
IMG_5650.JPG

IMG_5657.JPG

IMG_5662.JPG

IMG_5673.PNG

IMG_5681.JPG

IMG_5688.JPG

IMG_5719.JPG

IMG_5725.JPG

IMG_5728.JPG

IMG_5670.JPG

Last edited:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I done the north west on my old AR50 (with 90cc kit, bored to 98cc) and the bleedin thing siezed on the way home and gave me gravel rash on my arse.

Rab and I did the NW200 on my AY50 Katana and his AP50 - would have been grand but his was flat out at 25mph.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.