good solicitor for speeding offense

pope_acute

RMS Member
Drives
MR2 GT-S Rev4
anyone recommend a solicitor to talk to about summons i got. i was speeding based on 3 cops reports in a car and their estimate how far away i was and the speed it took for them to catch up to me when i had a 200m start and they came after me. I admit i did put the boot down after a u turn , and they were according to them 2 cars behind me waiting to u turn also.but they are estimating i was doing a 100(which i wasn't, but i was speeding over by 25-30mph) as they were doing 95 at one point trying to gain ground. so needing some advice. thanks

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
What evidence is there of either accusation? Going by what you wrote you were still speeding regardless, so are going to get prosecuted.
Bearing in mind it's 3 cops vs you, you can have a fair guestimate of who's going to be the favoured outcome!

pope_acute

RMS Member
OP
pope_acute
Drives
MR2 GT-S Rev4
Evidence wise is their reports. How fast they were going and they all noted 95.the distance they estimated when they started after me.

But I'm just looking for a solicitor for advice just because I don't want to lose my license. Points and fine I can live with. It was a 50mph dual lane empty carriageway(still not an excuse I know). Stewartsolicitors and wilson-nesbitt keep popping up.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
How many points are currently on your license??

If you have a clean license then I wouldn't bother with a solicitor as they are all a shower anyway, just have your day in court and take your spanking.

If they press to prosecute for "over 100mph", it'll be goodbye to the licence.

If they done 95mph to catch you, then obviously they were travelling faster than you, meaning you were doing less than the stated 100mph.

I used Reid, Black & Co on the Newtownards Road in Belfast for some of my motoring offences, and they were fantastic, given that I already had a heavily marked licence with a few disqualifications. They'd be worth a call at the very least.

pope_acute

RMS Member
OP
pope_acute
Drives
MR2 GT-S Rev4
thanks for all the info.

my license is clean haven't had points in since 2010 which was 3 points on motorway driving and before that 2003 for motorway driving.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
A good solicitor should get this trown out, based on the no evidence via a calibrated device and the fact that their statement is bull****.

If you had 200m head start and were in excess of 100mph they couldn't ever have caught you doing 95mph themselves

pope_acute

RMS Member
OP
pope_acute
Drives
MR2 GT-S Rev4
one of the 3 reports states i was nonchalant and arrogant, which was mistaken for anger and embarrassment at being caught...which i thought was amusing

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
one of the 3 reports states i was nonchalant and arrogant, which was mistaken for anger and embarrassment at being caught...which i thought was amusing

I'd be shocked if the cops knew what nonchalant meant. If it goes to court, get the barrister to ask the cops.

And never suggest you are angry at getting caught. Might be better to say very frustrated and distressed at being wrongly accused of something

Ricky302

RMS Regular
Drives
S8,M3,GTIR,XJR
A good solicitor should get this trown out, based on the no evidence via a calibrated device and the fact that their statement is bull****.

If you had 200m head start and were in excess of 100mph they couldn't ever have caught you doing 95mph themselves
Never mind 200m, if he had a 2 meter head start they still wouldn't have caught him!

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
one of the 3 reports states i was nonchalant and arrogant

Perhaps the fuzz were seeing their own reflections in your window?

I think that a good, paid barrister expert in these matters could fight this case for you, but is the cost and risk worth it? Do you feel lucky?

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Price a solicitor first, you will faint. Judges can be funny sometimes they think more of you if you defend yourself (small claims) while others will fine you more without a solicitor present on the grounds of being arrogant and nonchalant. You better tread carefully the cops have your card marked lol

gsmith

RMS Regular
Make sure and get a solicitor mine done me good 8 years ago I was only driving for 6 months and got caught on a carriageway on my r plates doing a stupid speed was an average speed recorded over a distance can't remebr the name of the system they used then up over the hill the traffic car was at other side of newtownards to Bangor carriageway and came across. I got off in my eyes very lightly with a good solicitor I fired a suit on handed in a written letter of apologise and my then boss wrote a letter of recommendation and stated my licence was important for work reasons. But my solicitor was key to what I got. I know your case is different but as said its 3-1 no doubt in my eyes a good solicitor will be able to turn it round and get you out without to much fuss. I went with McFarlands in Lisburn back then. Good luck.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I'd say to contest something like that, a solicitor will be essential. It'd be different for an easier case.

But you're fighting statements of 3 cops...for you to turn around and say those cops were telling porkies, the judge will crucify you whether they are or they arent.

You'll need a solicitor to tear their statements apart to prove they were talking out their hole and made mistakes...all without calling them liars.

And of course it will cost money.

Gavlar

RMS Regular

Speedometers are regularly and accuratley calibrated

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
Haven't read all the above comments..

Been in your shoes once or twice... They always claim they've to do 100+ to catch up... Means jack s hit, doesn't mean u were doing it. Means they were a good bit behind or delayed to catching up with u.

If they don't have your speed in black n white itl get thrown outta court n cop get hard time in court.. Well mine did!! Lol

He claimed I was doing well over 110mph in rush hour traffic in 1.25 fiesta...back when I was on my Rs... Yea right!

vxr55

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhall VXR8
My father was caught speeding at 70 mph in a 7.0 ton recovery truck a couple of months back by 2 officers in a marked Antara. The truck is limited to 56 and when they were told this the response was that we would need to get it checked but that they would let him go without any further action. The truck was only 3 weeks old at the time and the calibration certificate was in the glovebox

Mark_C

RMS Regular
This nonsense they always come out with like 'we had to drive at 120mph to catch xyz' - of course you would have to go faster than the person you're trying to catch.

The human brain also is NOT an effective relativity calculator, its grossly unfair and utterly ridiculous that their testimony can be taken as true. If, for example, they were even 0.9 seconds out on their mental calculations at 100mph, they could be out by as much as 30mph.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Police can give evidence of opinion on two specific areas as they are deemed experts in the matter:

State of Drunkenness and Speed of a motor vehicle

- The opinion of two police officers as to the speed of a vehicle is still accepted as proof of excess speed.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Opinions should never be considered fact, I know the above is true but it's completely rediculous.

Glad tou got sorted. I've been very lucky, I was told once after being stopped that they had to do 130 to catch me. Good job I eased off a bit for a corner!