Handbrake cables not right

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

killerzkurtz

RMS Regular
Drives
07 cooper s
As you can see In the picture my handbrake cables aren't matching up and one side is being pulled more than the other!?
Anyone know how to fix this out what's wrong with it?
image.jpg

pablo

RMS Moderator
I dont that should cause a problem, as the load will even out naturally meaning both cables will be pulled with the same force. One cable is slightly shorter maybe due to a little extra adjustment needed on that side.

Is your concern simple OCD or has there been a problem?

garyhoker

RMS Regular
Drives
honda
adjust that big nut off... remove rear drums if it is drum adjust brake shoes up .. then re adjust that nut ... but looks to me as cables stretch threw time ....just replace both cables if its annoy you (y)

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
1 cable could be stretched more than the other, or there may have been more adjustment needed on 1 side than the other to get the braking forces to match.

If the handbrake is holding the car when engage, it's nothing to worry about. If its not holding, take it to a mechanic for adjustment.

killerzkurtz

RMS Regular
OP
killerzkurtz
Drives
07 cooper s
I dont that should cause a problem, as the load will even out naturally meaning both cables will be pulled with the same force. One cable is slightly shorter maybe due to a little extra adjustment needed on that side.

Is your concern simple OCD or has there been a problem?

Lol OCD
Yeah problem is put the hand brake on and the car rolls down the hill
So I had to pull it higher than normal
Now it clicks about 16 times before the handbrake is on:worried:
So I went to sort it out and then I saw how much the right brake line is out of sync with the left
Thought it might be a big problem

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It's better to adjust at the actual shoes (if possible).

pablo

RMS Moderator
lol thats what I meant, you set the back then the front. just forgot to say slacken the front first :oops:

on the bm its usually slack at the front anyway. I could pull about 4 clicks before anything actually happened.

brendy

RMS Regular
Not one mention of the word wand....I am disappointed.:p

As per the Honda Civic forum (which would have been my first point of call tbh)
Proper way is to whip off the console/ handbrake cover

Jack up the back with the front wheels chocked

Release the brake and bring it in one click

Adjust the tensioner until it's as tight as possible WITHOUT the rear wheels dragging when you spin them

stephen85

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra h
Lol handbrake not brakes
Like I said late and often
Late and often
:grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Is it not the handbrake you always use???

Why don't you let the guy at steeple car garage take a look at it.... He is decent enough and will be easy paid if I talk to him if it needs any work.

She must just need tightened if its rolling down a hill with handbrake on.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
going by the look at the threads on adjuster its nearly full home any way .....
Agreed - probably a combination of over stretched cables and bad adjustment on rear (calipers?). When you park on a hill, do you not also leave the car in first gear? Have you actually checked how many clicks it takes before the handbrake begins to drag on the rear wheel? I normally have about 1-2 clicks.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
I really can't fault the MOT testers these days when it comes to handbrakes on the rear. I have been really surprised by how much they actually try to get a good reading on the machine.

pablo

RMS Moderator
pisher was it passed the week before (but failed on something else) then failed on the handbrake on the retest ffs.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
I thought they could only retest what the car failed on first time around ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.